Windows 10: Performance, speed questions

Discus and support Performance, speed questions in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I wasn't sure where to ask this so I thought I'd start here. I recently bought a new laptop that I thought would be fast performance wise. Imagine my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by joelshort, Nov 6, 2015.

1. joelshort Win User

Performance, speed questions

I wasn't sure where to ask this so I thought I'd start here.
    I recently bought a new laptop that I thought would be fast performance wise. Imagine my dismay when the new computer runs slightly slower than my nearly 4 year old laptop, according to performance benchmarks and real world tests.

Old Computer:
    Clevo W150ER running windows 7
    Processor: Intel Core i7 3630QM Ivy Bridge 2.4ghz, 4 cores (third generation?)
    SSD: 128GB for operating system and apps
    HDD: 7200rpm 740GB for files
    Nvidia GeForce GT 650M
    16GB RAM

New Computer:
    Asus Q551LN-BS1708 running Windows 10
    Processor: Intel Core i7 4510U Haswell ULT 2.0ghz 2 cores (fifth generation?)
    SSD: 1TB
    Nvidia GeForce 840M
    8GB RAM

I was told by the store I bought it from that there was a significant increase in speed between the 4th and 5th generation i7 processors.

I bought the new computer because we needed another computer in the house. My plan was to use the new one and give the old one to my son, but I was thinking that the new computer would be faster than my old one. UGH!!!

Do the specs above play out correctly in terms of performance? Should I be getting better performance out of the newer computer than I'm seeing?

:)

joelshort, Nov 6, 2015

2. Speed And Performance

Windows 10 is Super Slow!

Rahat Hameed, Nov 6, 2015
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Speed And Performance

Doing everything or just some things? What things?

How slow is "super slow"? Please put a number on it, even if approximate.

Has it always been slow or is this something new? If it's new, when did it star and what changes did you make, either to hardware or software just before it started?

It's difficult to try to help you since you've provided very little information, but if it's slow doing everything, almost certainly your problem is one of four things:

1. Malware infection.

2. Hardware configuration indequate for Windows 10

3. What background programs you are running

4. A poor choice of Windows 10 options.

Please describe your hardware configuration, tell us what anti-virus and other security software you run, what applications you run, and what programs you have starting automatically.

Ken Blake, Nov 6, 2015
  4. Performance, speed questions

z31fanatic, Nov 6, 2015
  5. joelshort Win User
    Well I feel like an idiot....I assumed that a new generation i7 processor would beat out an earlier generation.

In the benchmark tests the RAM usage never went above 4gb.

Even so the benchmark tests on the new computer weren't significantly far behind the old computer. In the real world test, the new computer took about 9min to recode a 5GB DVD to mp4, whereas the old computer took 8min.

Still, I am very disappointed even though I did get the new computer at a very good price, about 40% less than retail.

joelshort, Nov 6, 2015
  6. Clock for clock, 4th gen is only 5-10% better than 3rd gen. You just get much more battery life (on light usage) with 4th gen U vs 3rd gen QM if the battery mah is the same.

theveterans, Nov 6, 2015
  7. altae Win User
    Well, never believe a store rep., especially when it comes to computers. There are certainly exceptions but generally they have no clue what they are selling. Like it has already been said, the performance per MHz difference between the new and the old CPU is too small to compensate the lower clock speed. What's more the U processors are optimized for low power usage, not necessarily speed. Then there is less ram in your new laptop than in the old one. Those specs lead to inferior performance in everyday computing.

altae, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Performance, speed questions

1. Performance, speed questions - Similar Threads - Performance speed questions

2. Windows Performance Analyzer question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Performance Analyzer question: This morning I downloaded and Microsoft immediately installed "Windows Performance Analyzer" on my laptop to see how well my system is behaving on startup. The problem is that I do not know how to use it. Something produces ETFs that the analyzer reports on, but I don't know...
  3. SPEED , LAGGING AND PERFORMANCE ISSUE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SPEED , LAGGING AND PERFORMANCE ISSUE: if am using windows 10 home edition on 4GB RAM. but i can see so many lagging and performance problems. Is my RAM is the problem ? did i want to change my RAM from 4GB to 8GB?...
  4. Robocopy speed question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Robocopy speed question: I have 2 large files total 210 GB being copied by Robocopy between 2 external drives. Task Manager under "Disk" indicates a transfer speed of 30 MB/s. A straightforward calculation indicates that it should take 117 minutes to complete the transfer. In practice, however,...
  5. WiFi Network speed and internet speed question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi Network speed and internet speed question: Okay I don't understand this I have a 1gb network modem/router thru CenturyLink and what I don't understand is on all my local networking I get the 1gig speed. On my wired machines when I access the internet I actually get 900mb download/upload speeds, but when I use my...
  6. CPU clock speed question

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    CPU clock speed question: Hi, my kids are building a gaming computer, and the CPU they've chosen is an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-core. I think there was some confusion between the 2700x and the 2700. Anyway, the 2700X has a clock speed of 3.7 GHz and the 2700 has 3.2GHz. Is there much difference...
  7. Performance Speed - Slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance Speed - Slow: I have a HP laptop with 4.00 GB Ram (3.89 GB usable) with the AMD E2 - 9000e RADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C + 2G 1.50 GHz The performance of the laptop is slow not that I tried to play any games but in general the laptop is slow. The laptop will take time to respond after a...
  8. Microsoft Edge speed/performance

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge speed/performance: I've seen several people state that they've noticed that Edge now performs better than Chrome and that they feel like it's faster. I've used Chrome as my default for years and always found it to be lightning fast. I don't find Edge to be slow necessarily, but when compared to...
  9. Guest Performance Question (HDD)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Guest Performance Question (HDD): I'm in the process of building an ESXi setup at home. I will list the specs at the bottom, but my main question comes down to VM performance when running from a spinner HDD. ESXi is running from a 16 USB flash drive. I have an old 64 GB SSD for storing .iso files. Now, the...
  10. Windows RAID 0 question performance question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows RAID 0 question performance question: Hi folks / performance gurus Got an old server 4 HDD storage bays and SSD with Raid 0 -- created 2 arrays of 2 logical HDD's but 4 physical HDD's (1 array 2 X 4TB, 1 array 2 X 3TB) -- Is this better than creating 1 array of all 4 HDD's - I'd lose some space because the...