Windows 10: Periodic BSOD from dxgmms2 while using image editor program

Discus and support Periodic BSOD from dxgmms2 while using image editor program in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am getting periodic BSODs caused by dxgmms2.sys errors while using an image editing program called Paint.net. I am not doing anything fancy with it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sfrancis1, Feb 9, 2017.

1. sfrancis1 Win User

Periodic BSOD from dxgmms2 while using image editor program

I am getting periodic BSODs caused by dxgmms2.sys errors while using an image editing program called Paint.net. I am not doing anything fancy with it, just editing some basic .png files for a facebook game help page that I publish. Using the reliability monitor, I am also seeing frequent hardware error messages at system startup. Unfortunately I do not know what to do to diagnose which piece or pieces of hardware may be causing these problems. I installed completely new ram received at Christmas, but the problem is still occurring. I did run a full memtest (after new ram installed) but it did not show any errors.
    Virus scans are not showing any issues. I am not having any freezing or video issues outside of the BSODs.

The DM Log collector file is attached.

Thanks for any help!

:)

sfrancis1, Feb 9, 2017
  2. auggy Win User

kernal security check failure

The error appears to be related to the graphics:

Probably caused by : dxgmms2.sys ( dxgmms2!VidSchRegisterAsDwm+3b0f )

Try updating the NVIDIA display adapter driver to the latest version - it fixes some BSOD issues:

NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Also, the process that crashed in every crash was the avc.exe:

Owning Process ffff808ad976d7c0 Image: avc.exe

You could uninstall, at least temporarily, the software that installed the avc.exe which may be a video converter program:

avc.exe Windows process - What is it?

auggy, Feb 9, 2017
  3. How to paste into Fresh Paint?

Fresh Paint is not the image editor, it's a painting program.

For image editing, use a program like Photos (which can retouch photos and edit them) or Paint, or an actual image editor (Fresh Paint is not an image editor at all).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Feb 9, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Last dump shows a problem with atikmdag.sys.
    Code: ffff8e80`eceba498 fffff80a`b0bc1743*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys atikmdag+0x131743[/quote] atikmdag.sys shows up a lot in the thread trace which makes sense if the failure is caught while dxgmms2.sys is running, both are video specific.

Driver Description: atikmdag.sys belongs to ATI Video driver (remove the Catalyst Control Center and only install the Display Driver). You have a AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series video card.
    Driver Update Site: Support & Drivers

Remove and install latest ATI drivers:

I suggest completely uninstalling the ATI display drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from WagnardMobile (near bottom of page) then get the latest driver for you Nvidia card here: Download AMD Drivers & Software for Radeon, FirePro, APU, desktops and laptops

Then do a custom install of only the display driver, leavce the Catalyst Control Center out.

See if that gets rid of the problem.

Ztruker, Feb 9, 2017
  5. sfrancis1 Win User
    Thanks so much for the quick reply! I have followed your advice and am crossing my fingers. I will check the reliability monitor over the next week or so and hopefully getting rid of the CCC will resolve things. Not really all that surprising if that turns out to be the problem since that program has a history of causing issues with other OSs for me.

sfrancis1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Periodic BSOD from dxgmms2 while using image editor program - Similar Threads - Periodic BSOD dxgmms2

2. BSOD - dxgmms2.sys, ntkrnmp.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - dxgmms2.sys, ntkrnmp.exe: I’ve gotten 3 BSOD over the past 2 days and i’m starting to get a little worried. These BSOD have only happened when i’m doing something that requires some processing powerI searched online for my errors to try and fix my issues and i downloaded a program called windbg to try...
  3. dxgmms2.sys BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dxgmms2.sys BSOD: As title says At first some random application like Roblox, discord, or other crashing at unknown reason then followed by Windows BSOD caused by SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M in module dxgmms2. I got this BSOD like 5-10 times a week This happen usually after I...
  4. dxgmms2.sys BSOD

dxgmms2.sys BSOD: Hello, A while back, my computer lost power while it was installing windows updates. Since then, I've had BSODs every couple days, with various errors pointing to a driver error. These were annoying, but manageable. I tried a few basic troubleshooting steps, like using a...
  5. BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys

BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys: BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys retless 39m Hello, Since november/2019 i'm facing BSOD's when opening World of Warcraft using Battle Net or directly from the launcher. I have a dell G3 3579 with Geforce 1050 Ti and the BSOD occurs only when i'm using my...
  6. BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys

in Windows 10 Customization
    BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys: BSOD using external monitor in notebook dxgmms2.sys retless 39m Hello, Since november/2019 i'm facing BSOD's when opening World of Warcraft using Battle Net or directly from the launcher. I have a dell G3 3579 with Geforce 1050 Ti and the BSOD occurs only when i'm using my...
  7. BSOD dxgmms2.sys and nvlddmkm.sys

BSOD dxgmms2.sys and nvlddmkm.sys: Usually this happen when i play Overwatch. I have updated drivers,check windows,disks. Here is my minidump file: Link I hope someone can help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-dxgmms2sys-and-nvlddmkmsys/50fc8b79-7f54-4903-8428-b9236531b44c
  8. BSOD while using VLC - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE dxgmms2.sys

BSOD while using VLC - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE dxgmms2.sys: This was a BSOD that I had a a few months ago, before I installed the Creaters update. If anyone is familiar with the VLC media player program , I was using the clone feature to test CPU/GPU performance. I set the value to 100 then my computer ran into a BSOD. I tried to...
  9. BSOD featuring dxgmms2.sys

BSOD featuring dxgmms2.sys: Got another BSOD earlier tonight, this time with dxgmms2.sys cited onscreen. 85143
  10. Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's

Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's: Since the last windows update I get frequent crashes with the above source referenced. My Nvidia graphic driver is overwritten by a seemingly unstable one by windows update. My only resolution to cure the problem is to roll back to an older version, whereby I can play...