Windows 10: Periodic random micro freezes

Discus and support Periodic random micro freezes in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having a problem for a while now with my computer where it hangs for about a second at random intervals-- about once every two or three... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Amber55021, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Periodic random micro freezes

Hi,

I've been having a problem for a while now with my computer where it hangs for about a second at random intervals-- about once every two or three minutes. Everything displayed on the monitor freezes and any audio that's playing grinds horribly for the duration of the micro freeze. It never lasts longer than a second, but it's really annoying while I'm playing games or listening to music.

These freezes happen regardless of which programs are open or not open and seem unrelated to whatever I'm doing.

This is a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installation, and I've experienced this problem since getting it. All my drivers are up to date. I've heard allowing Windows to select an accent colour based on desktop background can cause this issue, but I have that feature disabled. I've tried a few other tweaks mostly related to audio options, I think I was on the wrong track but unfortunately I can't remember them all.

Nothing unusual seems to be happening in performance monitor during these freezes-- a small spike in CPU activity but not more than opening a new tab and loading a website, for example. There's also no way to know if these spikes are related to cause of the freezes or just a symptom of my computer "catching up" after the freeze.

This issue has been frustrating me a lot, if anybody knows the solution to this I'd really appreciate it.

:)

Amber55021, Oct 26, 2020
  2. TIGR Win User

Random freezes or shut downs

Completely random freezing/shutdowns on a system with no recent hardware changes, and hard drive, memory, and PSU fine, usually means a software issue (file corruption or malicious software). I suggest following DavidV's recommendations.

3. vinsterX Win User
    Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Periodic random micro freezes

Random freezes or shut downs

Hrrmmmm... but wouldnt formatting and reinstalling windows fix the issue since the virus/trojan/spyware isnt on the system any longer?

forumsviewer, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Periodic random micro freezes

1. Periodic random micro freezes - Similar Threads - Periodic random micro

2. Computer periodically and randomly crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer periodically and randomly crashing: Hello! I'm having trouble with my computer randomly, but only occasionally, shutting down. I'll start up the system and half the time there will be no issue at all. The other half, I'll see large spikes in data and disk usage, slowing performance to a crawl. Sometimes the PC...
  3. Computer freezing periodically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing periodically: System Info:Windows 10 Education 64-bit latest updatesCPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800XRAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB 2x8GB DDR4-320GPU: MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X 8G OCMotherBoard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWKPower Supply: Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Modular PSUStorage: Samsung SSD 860 M.2 2TBMonitors:...
  4. Windows will randomly "freeze" after a certain period of time

Windows will randomly "freeze" after a certain period of time: Starting a few months ago, at random intervals my entire computer will kind of "freeze". I put that in quotations because I can still move my mouse and click on certain things, but all software seems to come to a halt. If I'm watching a youtube video, the audio will keep...
  5. Windows 10 keeps lagging and freezing randomly for long and short periods

Windows 10 keeps lagging and freezing randomly for long and short periods: I've got a computer that started to freeze even when there are NO programs running! I know because I have a clock app with the seconds ticking by. The seconds will literally freeze in place and then jump forward after the freeze and it affects my mouse sometimes. Even trying...
  6. Periodic freeze on Windows 10

Periodic freeze on Windows 10: My desktop computer Dell XPS 8900; Windows 10 up to date has been freezing up periodically over the past few months. When this happens the trackball and keyboard are unresponsive, even to Ctl-Alt-Del commands. After 10 15 seconds it returns to normal. I believe this...
  7. Pointer (arrow) freezing for long periods randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Pointer (arrow) freezing for long periods randomly: It comes and goes. It can go for days fine and then happen a few times in a row. It just freezes for a long time, maybe nearly one minute, I dont use a mouse, just touchpad, and I start touching the keyboard and eventually will work again but it's very annoying and...
  8. Windows 10 freeze but not periodically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 freeze but not periodically: My Windows 10 Home is freezed unreasonably. Sometimes it could happen 4 to 5 times within half hour, but sometimes it may not freeze for whole day ( 12 hours ). I think my PC desktop is hacked by unknown hacker? The hackers use 'kick' technique to freeze my PC desktop. How...
  9. System Freeze after a random period of inactivity (supposedly)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Freeze after a random period of inactivity (supposedly): Hi all, I didn't know where to put this thread, but because it has to do with system performance, I thought this might be the best place to post my issues with Win 10. Let me get straight to the point: Up-to-date Windows 10 install (ver 1511 OS Build 10586.36) I haven't...
  10. Dell Inspiron ...periodic freezing

in Windows 10 Support
    Dell Inspiron ...periodic freezing: This laptop freezes often and Event Vwr isn't telling me anything. What is a good way to troubleshoot these freezes so that I can attempt a fix? Is there an app that can run in the background to monitor? I'm using Windows 10 with the latest updates. 76618