Windows 10: Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

Discus and support Permanent Group By/Sort By change? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'd like to know how to permanently change Group By to automatically be set to "(none)" . Changing it from the context menu or ribbon menu doesnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CntrlAltDel, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

I'd like to know how to permanently change Group By to automatically be set to "(none)" . Changing it from the context menu or ribbon menu doesnt permanently change the setting and every time I open a folder from an external application like for example Chrome "show in folder" or having to navigate to a file's location for a particular program, the folders always revert back to Group By setting.

Windows 10 1901

:)

CntrlAltDel, Sep 24, 2019

2. Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

I'd like to know how to permanently change Group By to automatically be set to "(none)" . Changing it from the context menu or ribbon menu doesnt permanently change the setting and every time I open a folder from an external application like for example Chrome "show in folder" or having to navigate to a file's location for a particular program, the folders always revert back to Group By setting.

Windows 10 1901

CntrlAltDel, Sep 24, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Permanent Group By/Sort By change?

When I change to none, I then click on View tab, Options, Change folder and search options.
    In the Folder Options window, click on the View tab then Apply and Apply to all folders.

Works for me most of the time though every now and then I end up with Group by taking over a File Explorer window.

One of Microsoft's stupider design changes (one of many actually).

If you'd like to bug MS to change this, upvote the Feedback I just submitted: File Explorer Group by extreamly annoying

Ztruker, Sep 24, 2019
  4. GeraldMay Win User

Permanently sorting documents in folders and grouping items in folders

Good Morning,

My OS system is Window 10. In my folders, I have word docs, pdf.docs and photos etc. Every time I open a folder, the various documents are not in order by type i.e. pdf doc. Therefore, I go to sort and group by type. The next time I open the same
    folder or a similar one, none of the docs are group or sorted by type. How do I make the documents in each folder be permanently organized or group by type?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

GeraldMay, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Permanent Group By/Sort By change? - Similar Threads - Permanent Group Sort

2. How to PERMANENTLY disable Group By EVRYWHERE?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to PERMANENTLY disable Group By EVRYWHERE?: HelloJust installed the 22H2 update for Win 11.Before I remove it and go back to 21H2, can anybody tell me how to remove the group by view everywhere once and forever?I used the WinSetView utility, which worked brilliantly on 21H2 but it did not change the Download windows...
  3. How to PERMANENTLY disable Group By EVRYWHERE?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to PERMANENTLY disable Group By EVRYWHERE?: HelloJust installed the 22H2 update for Win 11.Before I remove it and go back to 21H2, can anybody tell me how to remove the group by view everywhere once and forever?I used the WinSetView utility, which worked brilliantly on 21H2 but it did not change the Download windows...
  4. Arrange / group / sort by month is missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Arrange / group / sort by month is missing: I cannot find the "month" selection under More... Details. The latest version does not have that selection. Please add it back! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/arrange-group-sort-by-month-is-missing/510377a2-4798-4927-8caf-15722849069b
  5. Downloads Folder always GROUPS icons and then sorts by date.. CANNOT CHANGE THIS.

Downloads Folder always GROUPS icons and then sorts by date.. CANNOT CHANGE THIS.: For several weeks now this has been happening, and it ONLY happens in the Downloads folder. When I open it it has changed its view settings so that the icons are grouped and sorted by date. I change the settings to NONE for group by.. then change it back to sort by name view...
  6. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer: I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort...
  7. Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Exporer: I am doing some file moves which require me to move many files from one directory to another. These are all music files which are being moved into smaller directories due to Windows Explorer constantly re-reading/re-indexing the directory every time I change the column sort...
  8. downloads folder sorted into dated groups, WHY? How to change back?

downloads folder sorted into dated groups, WHY? How to change back?: I just downloaded a file and discovered that (since the 1903 upgrade I believe) the downloads folder is sectioned into dated groups. This is the most awful thing for me and I can find no way to put the folder back into a simple list. Other folders I have opened so far don't...
  9. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...
  10. Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer - Dropbox Sort Order in registry not permanent: Hello folks, I have changed the sort order of some of my items in the left navigation pane of the Windows Explorer (see screenshot). [img] However, upon rebooting only the Dropbox icon will jump back to its old place. [img] The registry entries are being...