Windows 10: Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset

Discus and support Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone! Since I moved to Windows 10 last year, I’m having intermittent blue screens of death. Not overclocking anything. =========80% of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by va-deam, Jan 22, 2021.

1. va-deam Win User

Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset

Hi everyone!

Since I moved to Windows 10 last year, I’m having intermittent blue screens of death. Not overclocking anything.

=========80% of cases=========

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a

An attempt was made to access a pageable or completely invalid address at an interrupt request level IRQL that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses. If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

Arguments:

Arg1: 0000000000000320, memory referenced

Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL

Arg3: 0000000000000000, bitfield:

bit 0: value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation

bit 3: value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation only on chips which support this level of status

Arg4: fffff80774da8f10, address which referenced memory

=========10% of cases=========

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50

Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except. Typically, the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.

Arguments:

Arg1: ffff8c8063200000, memory referenced.

Arg2: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation.

Arg3: fffff8031b20dca8, If non-zero, the instruction address which referenced the bad memory address.

Arg4: 000000000000000b, reserved

=========10% of cases=========

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 3b

An exception happened while executing a system service routine.

Arguments:

Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck

Arg2: fffff8000bc50bbd, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck

Arg3: ffffa88bdcc1e910, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck

Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

===========================

WinDbg Preview points to ntkrnlmp.exe – which is a crucial windows component.

My current configuration:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit build 20H2, BIOS v1.I0

CPU Intel Core i7-6700K / MB MSI Z170A Gaming M5 / VGA nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb Founders Edition/ RAM 2x8Gb Kingston DDR4-2400 / SSD Samsung 950 Pro NVMe / PSU Corsair RM750i / HDD WD2005FBYZ, 2xSamsung HD103SJ in RAID / PCIe card Behold TV T8 / DVD LG GH20LS15 / Logitech G15 keyboard, G700s mouse.

PC was custom built using mostly MSI-qualified components https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z170A-Gaming-M5.html.

What I have already tried with no luck:

1. Different Windows 10 builds: 19H1, 19H2, 20H1, 20H2. Tried both cumulative updates and clean install.
    2. Installed all available updates from Windows Update. Tried not to install updates at all.
    3. Updated drivers to the latest versions from MSI website. Used default Windows drivers since all hardware is recognized well.
    4. Tried different BIOS UEFI versions, cleared CMOS with battery removal, replaced the battery with a new one. Tried manufacturer’s BIOS defaults.
    5. Installed Meltdown / Spectre patches kb4589212.
    6. Scanned for malware and viruses.
    7. Bought new PSU with more output power.
    8. Replaced SATA cables with new ones.
    9. Disconnected all HDDs since OS installed on SSD.
    10. Got rid of RAID and tried AHCI mode.
    11. Disconnected External GeForce video card, tried with Intel built-in one.
    12. Tested memory from MemTest86 bootable USB flash drive over a night 8 passes, no error.
    13. Tried to boot with each single RAM stick, changed slots.
    14. Tested with Intel Processor Diagnostic tool 4.1.5.37, all passed.
    15. Checked with Intel MEmanuf – operation passed.
    16. Stress-tested for temperature 82*C was peak for CPU for several hours.
    17. Changed thermal grease on CPU.
    18. Visually inspected motherboard for damage, curving, blown capacitors, burns, dust or scratches – found nothing.
    19. Reinstalled, refitted every PC hardware component.
    20. Tried Driver Verifier. I pointed to Corsair, Logitech, Killer Ethernet drivers with standard preset – blue screens were happening more often.

Observations:

1. Sometimes I am able to play full-screen video games for several hours without a glitch, but more often apps suddenly crash 1-10 minutes to desktop or cause BSOD. No direct relation to inner temperatures.
    2. Corsair service, Killer network manager, Intel Rapid Storage if installed is likely to cause BSOD in 10-60 minutes after start-up. Temporarily have to disable them.
    3. Read/write-intensive file operations e.g. copying 10000 of small files or videogame setup will likely cause BSOD.
    4. Intel Processor Identification Utility – unable to use at all, app hangs whole OS, only reset button helps.
    5. There is a small chance to install Windows 10 from optical media, setup may hang or continuously reboot.
    6. Before current 20H2 build, I was unable to boot into safe mode.
    7. It is weird but IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL parameter one 00000000`00000320 – repeats on several installations. I mean I’ve installed different OS builds several times, but many times this value sustains.
    8. No hang while in BIOS or in third-party bootable apps. If WinPE is used – it acts the same as usual with a hang or an instant reboot.

Unfortunately, after frequent unexpected shut-downs my previous 2Tb Seagate HDD has passed away. Had to buy a new HDD.

So, I believe this is some kind of a software error. Maybe I have missed something.

I’ve prepared a lot of minidumps and MSinfo report. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar0cyBL8sO9miFkthIUNPgvMmWGF?e=BGcj5C

So far, I’m desperately seeking a solution. Thank you in advance!

:)

va-deam, Jan 22, 2021

2. USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) appears as a removable device on an Intel Z170 chipset system Win10 build 15063, x64.

Thanks for the respond Vannesa,

There are no yellow mark in Device Manager.

I already tried Update Driver for USB controllers but there show the best drivers are already installed.

I can see via Internet regarding this problem that so many people have this problem with Z170 chipset after Windows 10 Creators update. So, this is software-hardware incompatibility, Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) - Intel Z170 chipset.

Mladen Jovanovic, Jan 22, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    Intel Readies P55 Chipset B3 Stepping Update

Intel's is readying a hardware update for its P55 Express chipset, currently the only core-logic for the company's brand new socket LGA-1156 processor platform. The new B3 stepping of the P55 PCH will bring with it a little more than new MM number and S-spec numbers. A list of changes is as follows:
    • New MM number and S-spec numbers for the converted products;
    • Firmware and minor BIOS updates are required with the conversion;
    • Processor MRC/microcode update required to enable future processors;
    • Recommended storage driver upgrade from Intel MSM 8.9 to Intel RST 9.5.
    Although it is listed that the MRC update enables 'future processors', Intel, in a statement issued to X-bit labs assured that the current B2 stepping of the chipset (found on current socket LGA-1156 motherboards) does not leave out support for any of Intel's new LGA-1156 processors that are slated for release in the very near future. The dual-core "Clarkale" 32 nm processor will be supported by both B2 and B3 steppings of the chipset.

P55 B3 stepping is pin-identical to P55 B2, and hence motherboard vendors will not have to come up with new designs. Sampling of the new stepping began as early as on October 02, 2009, and it is scheduled for shipment to manufacturers by the 7th of December, 2009. P55 is the performance core-logic for the LGA-1156 platform. It supports Core i5 and Core i7 "Lynnfield" processors with discrete graphics.

Source: X-bit labs

btarunr, Jan 22, 2021
  4. Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset

X99 vs Z170 - which to prefer?

I think Z170 is generally better than X99 because it's a big step forward in terms of technology. Z170 will not be better than the next HEDT chipset though because it will lose that technical edge.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 22, 2021
Thema:

Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset

1. Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL a on Intel Z170 Chipset - Similar Threads - Permanent IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL Intel

2. Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers: I have recently upgraded BIOS and Windows from 10 to 11 on my desktop PC with a ASUS ROG 390-F GAMING motherboard. After the PC was upgraded it has kept crashing, and I have debugged and eventually found out chipset drivers was not installed after BIOS update. So I downloaded...
  3. Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel PPM BSOD, Intel chipset drivers: I have recently upgraded BIOS and Windows from 10 to 11 on my desktop PC with a ASUS ROG 390-F GAMING motherboard. After the PC was upgraded it has kept crashing, and I have debugged and eventually found out chipset drivers was not installed after BIOS update. So I downloaded...
  4. Screen glitches - Intel chipset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen glitches - Intel chipset: Hello everyone, I'm experiencing a very annoying issue with my Notebook that is making my screen glitch and flicker like crazy, making it unusable sometimes. Hope someone can help me with this. I have a notebook with the following specs: Intel Atom x5-z8350 with Intel HD...
  5. Missing Intel chipset driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing Intel chipset driver: Hi, my computer has been really slow recently and I am confident it is because it is missing the Intel Chipset driver. In Device Manager, the only driver in Storage Controllers is the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller. Having run a benchmark test on my SSD, its write speed...
  6. Intel Chipset numbering question

Intel Chipset numbering question: When I run the Intel Driver Update Utility, it always shows my chipset needs an update. My problem is that my current version is 10.1.2.8 Intel Driver Update Utility wants to go to 10.1.1.14 Isn't 10.1.2 greater than 10.1.1? Or am I applying math where it doesn't...
  7. Intel Chipset 10.1.1.42?

Intel Chipset 10.1.1.42?: I noticed that Intel has an updated chipset driver 10.1.1.42. It's newer than one currently installed from Asus mobo page but Asus doesn't offer this update. Do I install it? [img] [img] 80321
  8. Could not install Intel chipset driver

Could not install Intel chipset driver: Audio not working, power management not working probably due to missing chipset driver The device manager not showing chipset information [img] The output from Speccy shows that I have Intel chipset [img] I tried installing Intel official drivers Download Intel®...
  9. Question on Intel Chipset Updates

Question on Intel Chipset Updates: My system is a Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero When I installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit at the time I installed the latest chipset (version 10.1.2.10). All has been well, but when I used the Windows Update Minitool the other week it says that there is a new update to these...
  10. Latest Intel Chipset Device Software

Latest Intel Chipset Device Software: Latest Intel Chipset Device Software WHQL version: 10.1.1.42 Release Date: January 17th 2016 WHQL Intel Chipset Download Link OR Download: Intel® Chipset Device Software 10.1.1.42 [img] Note Release Notes New Features: Intel(R) Xeon(R)...