Windows 10: Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Discus and support Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by robocop, Sep 26, 2016.

1. robocop Win User

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Hi,

I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times.

The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used).

I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change drive letter and paths' to manually set a drive letter.

However, sometimes Windows remembers the drive letter that was manually set, but sometime it forgets.

Is there a way to permanently set a drive letter assignment for the USB drives?

Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

robocop, Sep 26, 2016
  2. APJX Win User

Samsung M3 portable hard drive not getting recognised on Windows 10.

Hi!

Thank you for advise!

I can agree that Win10 might not allow me to assign THE SAME PERMANENT letter to removable drive, but I think that if user is attaching USB drive to a laptop Win10 should every time at least assign ANY AVAILABLE drive letter
    automatically so user can use the drive and not have to fiddle with disk management tool, what would you say?

3. BulldogXX Win User
    How to assign a drive letter permanently for an external HDD that doesn't change no matter where i plug into?

Unfortunately, you can't permanently assign drive letters to removable drives. This is by design.

BulldogXX, Sep 26, 2016
  4. robocop Win User

One other thought, if there isn't a way to permanently set a drive letter to the USB drives, is there a registry key which can make the change (that way I can just click a .reg file to make the change....)

Thanks!

robocop, Sep 26, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Sep 27, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Using Disk Management is what I do - no problems I've noticed. But I could believe your experience...

dalchina, Sep 27, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    You could also check that you are using the correct USB in your script so you don't backup to the wrong one...

For example, make a small file on your USB F drive called USBF... Code: if exist "F:\USBF" ( rem whatever you want to do.... ) else ( echo Drive letter is wrong. )[/quote]

8. robocop Win User

Thanks very much for the replies.

lx07, that's an awesome idea which I didn't realise was possible. If the drive letter was wrong my batch script was running and completing as though it had been successful - Doh! I've now added your code to the script with a pause, so it now stops if it can't find the right file. Perfect!

Cheers

robocop, Sep 27, 2016
  9. SteveSi Win User
    Code: set USBDRIVE= FOR %%D IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO (DIR %%D:\USB.TAG > nul 2>&1 && (call set USBDRIVE=%%DPermanently assign drive letters for USB drives :) if "%USBDRIVE%"=="" echo ERROR: NO USB DRIVE FOUND & pause echo USB IS %USBDRIVE%[/quote] Use this to search all drive letters for \USB.TAG file.

SteveSi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives - Similar Threads - Permanently assign drive

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  4. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  6. Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks

Problem permanently assigning drive letters to flash disks: I have two flash disks of the exact same brand and size (128GB each, formatted as exFAT). I have a problem in that when I insert either of them in a USB port, it's assigned a drive letter which may not be what I would like. Ideally I want each flash disk to be always assigned...
  7. stop win assigning usb drive letter

stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  8. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  9. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  10. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...