Windows 10: Permanently change highlight color in registry

Discus and support Permanently change highlight color in registry in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have changed the highlight color in registry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors under "Hilight" to be deep blue 0 0 128, after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rafael_jesus, Oct 8, 2023.

1. Permanently change highlight color in registry

I have changed the highlight color in registry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors under "Hilight" to be deep blue 0 0 128, after restarting the computer the changes are effective, but for some reason after some time the changes are simply reverted to a lighter blue,I really don't know anymore what to do, I really don't have patience to deal with Windows being annoying again, this is very irritating,The color in the registry is the correct one I had configured, it still shows the 0 0 128 which is standard NT 4.0 deep blue, but for some reason, at some point, the system simply decid

:)

rafael_jesus, Oct 8, 2023

2. How to change the highlight color properly / permanently?

Hi folks.

I'm trying to change the highlight color Win10 is using to highlight text and other objects.

As far as I could figure it out, the default value is (r0 g120 b215), the "standard Win10 blue", which is stored in the registry here:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors\Hilight

Editing this key can be done manually or by using third party tools (e.g. "Classic Color Panel" from WinTools), changes take effect after restarting the Windows explorer - so far so good.

Now comes the strange part: The old/default color comes back after a user is logged off and on again, or after the system was hibernated. After rebooting the modified color is there again.

This problem occurs/occurred so far in all version (build 1507 to 1709) and editions (home and pro).

Any suggestions how to change the highlight color properly (and permanently)?

Greets,

Alucard

Alucard van Blood, Oct 8, 2023
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    How to change the highlight color properly / permanently?

Hi Alucard,

The color for title bars, taskbar, window borders and Start menu can now be easily changed by going to your Settings page. However, if you're going to change your highlight color, you'll need to make changes to your Registry Editor. For us to assist you, we
    suggest that you visit this
    link
    . From there, you'll see a thread with a similar issue, but it has been answered by one of your Community members named
    Helder Carvalho Quaresma.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 8, 2023
  4. Mayra Aqu Win User

Permanently change highlight color in registry

How to change the highlight color properly / permanently?

Hi Jarrad,

The issue that you're experiencing may be due to a Windows startup function that resets the registry key upon restart.

We suggest making yourself the owner and the only person who has full access to this key. In doing so, you can prevent the registry key from reverting the changes and for it to permanently take its effect. Just Make sure that "System" and "Everyone" has
    read-access.

Kindly follow the methods below to do it:

Set ownership:

• Right-click the key and click Permissions.
    • Choose Advanced, then Owner. Now set your own account as the owner.

Set permissions:

• Right-click the key, then click the first visible account.
    • Mark or unmark the various permission boxes. Do the same to the remaining accounts. If your own account is invisible, click
      Add.

Important: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before
    you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. Here's an article for more information about creating a back up:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

We'll wait for your reply about this matter.

Mayra Aqu, Oct 8, 2023
Thema:

Permanently change highlight color in registry

1. Permanently change highlight color in registry - Similar Threads - Permanently change highlight

2. Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issues with make NoCDBurning Registry changes permanent: Good Afternoon,We have recently used this Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/solved-windows-10-and-inability-to-burn-blank/145591fc-8d6b-41c0-b5e5-252ba76f2788 to resolve an issue with a few of our desktops no burning CDs. The fix works when you run...
  3. Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar: This is the icon highlight color for an app on Windows 10, vs Windows 11:The entire point of this feature is for apps to flash when they want to get the user's attention from their peripheral vision, and I rely on this functionality heavily so I don't miss important things...
  4. Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change the highlight color for active icons in the taskbar: This is the icon highlight color for an app on Windows 10, vs Windows 11:The entire point of this feature is for apps to flash when they want to get the user's attention from their peripheral vision, and I rely on this functionality heavily so I don't miss important things...
  5. Permanently change highlight color in registry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently change highlight color in registry: I have changed the highlight color in registry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors under "Hilight" to be deep blue 0 0 128, after restarting the computer the changes are effective, but for some reason after some time the changes are simply reverted to a lighter...
  6. Permanently change highlight color in registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently change highlight color in registry: I have changed the highlight color in registry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors under "Hilight" to be deep blue 0 0 128, after restarting the computer the changes are effective, but for some reason after some time the changes are simply reverted to a lighter...
  7. Highlight color changed everywhere after update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Highlight color changed everywhere after update: After the latest Windows Update the color scheme for the highlight has changed.Other color settings may have changed as well, but the highlight color is the most obvious because it has become TOTALLY ILLEGIBLE!It seems all apps are affected but at least Excel, Outlook and...
  8. How to change the Highlight color automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change the Highlight color automatically: When I personalize my computer I always make the color change automatically. I find it disturbing when I highlight something, it's just the classic (eww) blue. DISCLAIMER: I DON'T ACTUALLY HATE BLUE. PLEASE DON'T HATE ME submitted by /u/KGFortyFive [link] [comments]...
  9. CTRL+F Change highlight color

in Windows 10 Customization
    CTRL+F Change highlight color: Pressing CTRL+F brings up the search box. When I type a term in the search box, select "Highlight All" and press the up or down arrows, the found text is highlighted in blue, which is very hard to see. Is there any way to change the highlight color?...
  10. Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Highlighted Text Color in Windows 10 When you highlight text in classic Win32 system windows and dialogs in Windows 10, the text color will be white by default. This tutorial will show you how to...