Windows 10: Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

Discus and support Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm a long time dweller and first time poster. I've recently run into an issue where my windows 10 doesn't seem to remember my default column... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by heeshboy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. heeshboy Win User

Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

Hello,

I'm a long time dweller and first time poster. I've recently run into an issue where my windows 10 doesn't seem to remember my default column width after each search. In other words, each time I open This PC icon, and type in the upper right hand corner to do a search of a file, the column widths will default back to the normal size as opposed to the default size I want. Is there a way to change it permanently so that my searches always show the default column width and column types I want? I can't seem to figure it out and any help would be helpful! Thanks so much.

:)

heeshboy, Mar 2, 2021

2. Change column width in a Win10 Explorer window

I have a folder with 100+ folders in it. After the update yesterday, the column widths have changed. Searching to fix the problem shows that the options for adjusting the column width have disappeared from the ribbon. I need to be able to adjust column
    widths in folders. Thanks.

Nantucketbob, Mar 2, 2021
  3. Column Width in List View in File Explorer

I went through all of the above steps, but sadly this doesn't work when viewing folders in *list* view. Any idea how to adjust the column widths there?

Up until a couple of months ago the column widths were always simply equal to the longest name in the column or the longest name in the folder. Now there is a couple of extra centimetres in there for no discernible reason.

RichLehmann, Mar 2, 2021
  4. Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Mar 2, 2021
Thema:

Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search

1. Permanently Changing Column Width in Windows Explorer Search - Similar Threads - Permanently Changing Column

2. Permanently, Globally, Forever force ALL Windows Explorer column widths to be AUTOFIT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently, Globally, Forever force ALL Windows Explorer column widths to be AUTOFIT: How can I permanently, globally, forever ensure that ALL Windows Explorer column dimensions are autofit to accommodate the filename/date/size/whatever string widths?After decades of Windows releases and innumerable customer requests, there is still no obvious way to do this....
  3. Permanently, Globally, Forever force ALL Windows Explorer column widths to be AUTOFIT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently, Globally, Forever force ALL Windows Explorer column widths to be AUTOFIT: How can I permanently, globally, forever ensure that ALL Windows Explorer column dimensions are autofit to accommodate the filename/date/size/whatever string widths?After decades of Windows releases and innumerable customer requests, there is still no obvious way to do this....
  4. Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting: I changed the text size in the settings to make the text bigger so I can see it easier when working on my 29" PC monitors. While the text displays bigger for most applications like Edge, and is fine, in File Explorer all of the names of folders and files are clipped at the...
  5. Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting: I changed the text size in the settings to make the text bigger so I can see it easier when working on my 29" PC monitors. While the text displays bigger for most applications like Edge, and is fine, in File Explorer all of the names of folders and files are clipped at the...
  6. How to change the Column Width size of File Explorer in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Column Width size of File Explorer in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Windows 11 rolled out for everyone, and it has surprised me a lot, to say the least. I am a big fan of the updated, more minimalistic design. The File Explorer received a revamp as well, with a mixed color scheme in place of an all-out white interface and a sleeker...
  7. File Explorer Template Column Width

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Template Column Width: How do I change the Documents, Pictures, Music, and View templates? The existing templates are not particularly useful for those of us who use full-size monitors instead of cell phones. For example, the "Name" column in the Documents template is too narrow to be useful on...
  8. explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?

in Windows 10 Support
    explorer lag/slow with column "width" and "height", alternative?: as title suggested, some folders have width and height column to be able to see images max dimension in width and height without having to open it, but it lags and very slow, what to do? 171639
  9. How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders

How can I change the default column widths for ALL windows explorer folders: I know how to change the width, but my changes don't stick. The default in windows is 4 columns, and 2 of them truncate the data in them and need to be widened to see the full name/data of these columns. I have more than half of the width of this folder as unused,...
  10. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer colums size