Windows 10: Permanently disable automatic restarts

Discus and support Permanently disable automatic restarts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Once again, windows automatically restarted. This time I lost 2 days worth of work. I need to know how to permanently disable auto restart. I WILL... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Beau882, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Beau882 Win User

Permanently disable automatic restarts

Once again, windows automatically restarted. This time I lost 2 days worth of work. I need to know how to permanently disable auto restart.

I WILL decide when it is safe to reboot. Automatic updates are one thing, but this is a work computer. I need it to remaining running at all times for VERY long periods of time.

Please tell me there is a way, otherwise i will be switching Linux of course as losing weeks of work whenever windows decides it feels like taking control is not acceptable. Bring back windows 7 perhaps?

:)

Beau882, Apr 16, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

how to permanently disable windows 10 automatic updates,

Hi Ezequíaz, complete the 3 steps below to permanently stop Windows 10 Automatic Updates:

Open the Settings App

Go to Accounts - Sign-in Options

Choose to sign in with a Local Account rather than a Microsoft Account.

In the Settings App

Go to Network and Internet

Set your WiFi connection as Metered

Click your Start Button, type services and hit ENTER

Scroll down the list of services to find Windows Update

Double click the service

If it has started, click 'Stop'

Then you must set its startup type to 'Disabled' - 'Manual' will not do!

Restart your PC

That's It!

DaveM121, Apr 16, 2021
  3. EpsylonDH Win User
    How do I PERMANENTLY disable Window Ink for Windows 10 Pro 1803

I tried it, and after restarting the changes I made to these services persisted, but the "Use Windows Ink" box checked itself again... I tried unchecking it and restarting again for a double check, no effect :/

Still, thanks for the suggestion.

EpsylonDH, Apr 16, 2021
  4. Permanently disable automatic restarts

Disable automatics updates

Hi MelissaRobinson3.

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor.

I would like to help you.

You can try to disable automatic updates starting from the point that automatic updates behave like any service. Follow these steps:

* Press the Windows + R key, type services.msc in the execution bar and press the Enter key.

* In the list of processes locate the Windows Update and open it by clicking on it.

* To disable it, in the General tab, look for the field "Type of start" and change it to "Disabled".

* Restart the PC and the automatic updates will have gone down in history.

If at any time you want to activate them again, simply follow these steps again and change the startup type to "Automatic".

DouglasMillar69, Apr 16, 2021
Thema:

Permanently disable automatic restarts

1. Permanently disable automatic restarts - Similar Threads - Permanently disable automatic

2. How to permanently disable automatic backup to onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanently disable automatic backup to onedrive: I just got a new computer running windows 11 previously had windows 10. I have 3 times had to turn off the onedrive sync because my files were all uploaded, and of course there isn't enough storage without purchasing more. I already have cloud backup, and I don't want to...
  3. How to permanently disable automatic backup to onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to permanently disable automatic backup to onedrive: I just got a new computer running windows 11 previously had windows 10. I have 3 times had to turn off the onedrive sync because my files were all uploaded, and of course there isn't enough storage without purchasing more. I already have cloud backup, and I don't want to...
  4. Permanently disable auto-updates and restart on Window 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently disable auto-updates and restart on Window 10?: Please instruct on how to permanently disable auto-update and restart for lab pc which needs to stay on unless told otherwise, operating system is Windows 10? I have tried other solutions which only worked partially or temporarily....
  5. Permanently disable auto-updates and restart on Window 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Permanently disable auto-updates and restart on Window 10?: Please instruct on how to permanently disable auto-update and restart for lab pc which needs to stay on unless told otherwise, operating system is Windows 10? I have tried other solutions which only worked partially or temporarily....
  6. How do I PERMANENTLY Disable automatic windows update restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I PERMANENTLY Disable automatic windows update restart?: I absolutely HATE this stupid "feature". Its bloody annoying and is no use to me whatsoever. I don't care what version of windows I'm running, and old version fromgasp 1 week ago is not going to kill me and is perfectly fine. I'm a gamedev in my spare time, and I often leave...
  7. Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 Automatic Restart: How can I disable Windows 10 automatic restart. This question has been asked A LOT on this board. I have done many of the suggestions but I need to know if any of them actually work. This is not a fact of losing simply losing information. The computer is going to be...
  8. Disabled "use permanent keys" turn automatically on after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabled "use permanent keys" turn automatically on after restart: Since the last major January win 10 update, every time I turn on my PC, the Sticky Keys under keyboard settings is ON, even if I disabled before turning off the PC Is there a solution to keep it off? EDIT sorry for the title but I'm Italian and I didn't know the right...
  9. Permanently disable Windows 10 Home Automatic Updates.

Permanently disable Windows 10 Home Automatic Updates.: Why does Microsoft block the ability to use the "Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using a REG file" capability in Windows 10 Home Edition? I have an aged self assembled pc running proprietary software that will not function beyond version 1511. Once again MS, the largest...
  10. How do I permanently disable automatic updates?

How do I permanently disable automatic updates?: I had 17 tabs open in an Incognito tab all about different things for my jeep. I've been trying to work on it and it's taken me a few days to get all the information I need so I can mess with the headlights, jack, and a couple of other things without the fear of messing...