Windows 10: Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup (I don't ever want it to run...

Discus and support Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup (I don't ever want it to run... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup I am aware of the option to toggle the 'dirty bit' flag set by chkdsk via command line... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DMacG, Apr 11, 2019.

1. DMacG Win User

Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup (I don't ever want it to run...

Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup

I am aware of the option to toggle the 'dirty bit' flag set by chkdsk via command line and registry, however, due to the complex configuration of my laptop with multiple drives and OS versions and NTFS / FAT32 partitions I am encountering a recurring issue where windows 10 will try to run chkdsk on certain drives / partitions on startup almost every time (especially after an update) which - if I do not hit any key to skip within 8 seconds - will run and "fix" the errors AND thus "fixes' my other OS partitions to a state where they will not function. This means I have to restore from an image backup if I am unfortunate enough to not press the any key in time on Windows 10 startup.

Is there a registry key I can enter such that chkdsk will NEVER run at startup or some other method whereby I can disallow any and all drives / partitions from being marked as 'dirty'. I am aware this is generally not advisable, however, I am slowly being driven insane by having to restore drives and partitions after they are 'fixed' by chkdsk.

If there is no way to do this using the registry or other system configuration methods, can I simply replace the chkdsk.exe file with another file that will not write any changes to my disks?

I don't think it should matter what my system hardware config is due to the nature of this question but since it seems routine to ask anyways:

I have 2 SSDs 1 drive has Windows 10 Pro Insider preview fast ring latest release (updates almost daily at this point)

2nd drive has Win 7 Pro (whatever the most up to date version is)

both SSDs contain recovery partitions, also partitions for Linux, and VM partitions.

*NOTE: For the purposes of this question I am not concerned whether or not there are actually any errors anywhere on any disk, everything works fine until windows 10 boots and chkdsk manages to run

:)

DMacG, Apr 11, 2019

2. Why can't I run chkdsk?

Hello Jack,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing this issue due to some problem with the Administrator privileges. For us to effectively assist you, we would like to ask a few questions:

• Could you tell us if you're logged in as an Administrator when you're trying to run chkdsk on your computer?
    • What is the exact error message that you are getting? Kindly send us a screenshot if possible.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you try to disable the third-party antivirus software on your computer. After disabling it, try to run chkdsk and check if the issue persists.

We're looking forward to your response.

Stephanie Sal, Apr 11, 2019
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Apr 11, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup (I don't ever want it to run...

Chkdsk doesn't run on restart in Windows 10

Hi Shane,

Looks like you are having issues running the CHKDSK utility. This could be caused by a few things, first we need to make sure that it's not your hardware input devices such as your keyboard or mouse causing the action to skip the disk check process.

Alternatively, we recommend that you run the command below to modify the delay countdown to 0 second.

• chkntfs /T:0

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Permanently Disable chkdsk from running on Windows 10 Startup (I don't ever want it to run... - Similar Threads - Permanently Disable chkdsk

2. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  3. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CHKDSK run: I had my windows 10. Suddenly it shut down and couldnt do automatic repair. ı tried many methods but regback in command prompt helped. after months, same happened again but regback didnt help. So I ran a chkdsk f d even though my OS in C just watched youtube. I typed y for...
  4. CHKDSK run

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  6. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  7. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  8. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....
  9. Windows Defender wants to run at startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender wants to run at startup: Since a very recent reinstall of Windows 10, Windows Defender now keeps wanting to be part of Start-up..In the past it seems to me that it was only activated if your anti-virus protection was off or if none was installed. Now it seems as if the intention of Windows Defender...
  10. I want to run chkdsk /r on an unlabeled partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I want to run chkdsk /r on an unlabeled partition: This is a new problem this week on my home based HP Pavilion PC, after months of smooth operation. Windows 10, 64 bit, and generally dependable... almost as stable as Win 7 was *Rolleyes According to Macrium Reflect free, when I try to run an image, I have an error 10 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it possible to permanently delete chkdsk so it can never run again windows 7

2. disable chkdsk on startup windows 10

3. disable chkdsk on startup in windows 10

4. disable chkdsk on startup windows10