Windows 10: Permanently Disable Lock Screen

Discus and support Permanently Disable Lock Screen in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I got a new laptop and it had some undesired behavior: After 5 minutes of being left unattended it returns to the lock screen where I have to sign in... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Zandrae, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Zandrae Win User

Permanently Disable Lock Screen

I got a new laptop and it had some undesired behavior:

After 5 minutes of being left unattended it returns to the lock screen where I have to sign in again.

I cannot watch movies or anything else because the unattended pc goes to the lock screen after 5 minutes.

I have set everything to never turn off/disabled/90000 minutes/360 minutes, whatever I can do. Still, five minutes and I'm on the lock screen. I have taped over the camera to assure it's not using the camera to tell when I'm leaning back too far in my chair and turn off.

I have reinstalled windows while on the phone with a MS tech for two hours. She disabled the hibernate feature completely but it didn't fix the problem. I've been advised to contact ASUS about the problem as if they'd somehow have a solution. I've been advised that I need to basically format everything and do a totally clean install which I don't have time for because I'm busy with school and I need a functioning computer.

This is infuriating, this is a brand new laptop, this is a problem out of the box, and I've never had this problem with any machine ever.

This is what I want:

I want to turn on the computer and have it go to the desktop.

It should NEVER EVER EVER, under any circumstance, go to a lock screen, turn off, hibernate, etc, ever.

My windows is up to date.

Here's my machine specs:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX705DY/specifications/

How do I fix this infuriating problem?

:)

Zandrae, Nov 12, 2019

2. Windows 10: How to disable lock screen to show login screen directly.

Hi Edward,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if lock screen feature is enabled on the computer.

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• What is the edition of Windows 10 installed on the computer?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to disable the lock screen and check if it helps.

How to disable Lock screen on Windows 10 group policy:

If wanted to turn off lock screen pictures, then I suggest you to follow the steps below to turn off lock screen pictures through group policy editor.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "gpedit.msc" without the quotes in the run box and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Then follow the path below:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization

4. Now on the right side, Double click that
    Do not display the lock screen
    option.

5. Set the option as Enabled.

6. Click on Apply and then click on
    Ok.

7. Close Group policy editor and restart your computer.

Note: The above steps is applicable to Windows 10 pro version.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with disabling lock screen on the computer, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 12, 2019
  3. nsmth Win User
    Windows 10: How to disable lock screen to show login screen directly.

That worked!

Thank you very much!

cs

my version does not allow gpedit.msc- please provide instructions on how to skip the lock screen and go to login for the rest of us. this is a very annoying step

nsmth, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Permanently Disable Lock Screen

Disable Lock Screen

Hi Barry,

We suggest that you try this method to disable the lock screen (except at boot):

• Open File Explorer and head to C:\Windows\SystemApps.
    • Locate the Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy folder in the list.
    • Right-click on the folder name, select Rename, and rename it to
      Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy.backup.

Note: If you ever want to restore your lock screen, just return to the
    C:\Windows\SystemApps folder, locate the Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy.backup file, and rename it back to
    Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Permanently Disable Lock Screen

1. Permanently Disable Lock Screen - Similar Threads - Permanently Disable Lock

2. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  3. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to permanently disable Num lock?: Hi, I have an acer laptop, with a row of numbers above the letters, and also, if I engage num lock there is number pad type layout on the right-hand side of the letters on the keyboard. for my bookkeeping I need easy access to numbers and letters simultaneously. I have...
  4. how to permanently disable Num lock?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Permanently disable on screen keyboard in windows 10!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permanently disable on screen keyboard in windows 10!: Hi. There are users still experiencing the annoying on-screen keyboard pop-up. Not to be confused with the Touch Keyboard! I had this issue too and tried all advice I could find to no avail! At login it popped up, running apps as administrator - the same! I had this problem...
  6. Permanently disable on screen keyboard in windows 10!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permanently disable on screen keyboard in windows 10!: Hi. There are users still experiencing the annoying on-screen keyboard pop-up. Not to be confused with the Touch Keyboard! I had this issue too and tried all advice I could find to no avail! At login it popped up, running apps as administrator - the same! I had this problem...
  7. Keys disabled and screen locked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keys disabled and screen locked: Due to covid-19 im working from home. My daughter was playing about with my laptop and shes managed to disable the keys and lock the screen! Ive had a look on google but cant find a solution....can anyone help?...
  8. Setting Permanent LOCK SCREEN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting Permanent LOCK SCREEN: How can I set a permanent lock screen picture on my windows 10 computer? I have a specific picture that I want to always be the lock screen but every time I play a song on Groove Music, the computer automatically changes the lock screen image to whatever picture is associated...
  9. Disable the Lock Screen?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable the Lock Screen?: Is there any way to disable the Lock Screen instead so it won't show on startup? Thanks 6552
  10. Disable inactive lock screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable inactive lock screen.: Good afternoon, I've got a feeling I'm missing something really basic but I am unable to disable the lock screen that appears after approx 5 minutes of inactivity. I've used registry and deactivated it following tutorials but that has only stopped the lock screen on...