Windows 10: Permanently turn off windows update

Discus and support Permanently turn off windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; First I am not IT guy or even a PC enthusiast so forgive me if this isn't technical enough or if I misspeak. I just thought this might help some people... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LG7777777, Apr 13, 2021.

1. LG7777777 Win User

Permanently turn off windows update

First I am not IT guy or even a PC enthusiast so forgive me if this isn't technical enough or if I misspeak. I just thought this might help some people trying to turn off windows updates. I hate having a backdoor on my PC I can't control. I wanted to disable windows updates in windows 10 like I have in every other version of windows but they make it impossible... almost. First, make sure you really want windows updates turned off forever. There are some benefits to having it on... or so I'm told. Do this at your own risk, your mileage may vary. It worked for me, it might not work for you. Make sure you know what you are doing before you start this.

Simply going into your services.msc and disabling "windows update" will work for a short period. Disabling "windows update" and "background intelligent transfer service" will work a bit longer. After searching all over the net and speaking with microsoft a number of times, nothing worked. I finally learned that they are now selling windows as a service that they maintain. "Windows As A Service" and you can't turn it off, kinda.

Click on "this pc" in your start menu, go to your C: drive, then open "windows". Scroll down to the folder waas, this is the problem. You cannot delete the folder because microsoft has taken that right away from you and made "trustedinstaller" the only one who can manipulate that folder. No worries, just make yourself the owner of the folder. There is a nice tutorial at windows report.

1. Navigate to the folderyou want to delete, right-click it and select Properties

2. Select the Security taband click the Advanced button

3. Click on Change located at the front of the Owner fileand click on the Advanced button

4. In the Selectuser or group page, click on Advanced in order to selectwhich accounts are available

5. Click on Find Now and then select the user to whom youwish to transfer the ownership to that's you

6. Right click on thefolder and click on Properties

7. Navigate to the Security taband click on Advanced

8. Under the Permission tab, click on Add andthen click on Select a Principal in order to add your account

9. Click on Advanced and then click on the Find Now button to list all the accounts to whom permission can be granted

10. Locate your account from the list and click on Ok and save changes

If you google "windows report take ownership of folder" it will bring these instructions up with pictures.

Once you have ownership of the folder, you can do whatever you want with it. I saved the pathname and moved the folder to a different location on the PC, I also removed trustedinstaller but I think that was overkill.

Not sure if this step is needed but I did it anyway. Windows has installed "waas medic" just incase something goes wrong with waas this will jump in and try to correct it.

Go to: C:\windows\system32 and remove "waasmedicagent". It is not a folder it is a .exe. You will have to perform the same steps above to maintain ownership. Make note of the pathname incase you want to put everything back at a later date. Remove waasmedicagent, I saved it in another location.

I have restarted my PC and every time I check in services.msc windows update and background intelligent transfer services are disabled and remain disabled. It's been several months since I did this and the PC works like charm. No more annoying updates. This is the only thing I've tried that actually worked. Other things worked short term but always came back. Including turning it off in the registry.

:)

LG7777777, Apr 13, 2021
  2. vomacka Win User

How to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently..

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to turn off Windows 10 updates using the methods listed in this article....

How To Turn Off Windows 10 Updates Permanently. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

There is a comment, (in the comments section) that states...

""You have to kill all permissions to wuauclt.exe and wuaueng.dll so the system can't launch Windows Update, EVER." This is the only 100% solution."

What are your thoughts on this solution to stopping Windows 10 updates..

Scott

vomacka, Apr 13, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Apr 13, 2021
  4. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Permanently turn off windows update - Similar Threads - Permanently turn off

2. Where is the button to TURN WINDOWS UPDATE OFF PERMANENTLY in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the button to TURN WINDOWS UPDATE OFF PERMANENTLY in Windows 11?: As the title suggests, and since i BOUGHT this program fairly and squarely, i want more control to what is ALLOWED and NOT ALLOWED to be installed in my computer... and since what so called "windows update" is messing things up 99% of the time, i have always turned this thing...
  3. How to turn off update permanently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off update permanently: Hello,I have issue with windows update. Im using my notebook 5 times per month. And that means i get permanent download on background. Its rly annoying because i have only 10mbit internet and that means i cant work on it. Delay download dont help because when i did it one...
  4. How to turn off update permanently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off update permanently: Hello,I have issue with windows update. Im using my notebook 5 times per month. And that means i get permanent download on background. Its rly annoying because i have only 10mbit internet and that means i cant work on it. Delay download dont help because when i did it one...
  5. How to turn off update permanently

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. How to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently..

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to turn off Windows 10 updates permanently..: I'm wondering if anyone has tried to turn off Windows 10 updates using the methods listed in this article.... How To Turn Off Windows 10 Updates Permanently. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos There is a comment, (in the comments section) that states... ""You have to...
  7. Unable to turn off permanently Windows Defender !

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to turn off permanently Windows Defender !: Hello, i always was able to turn Windows Defender off, but now it always turn on. I tried solution 6 and 7, using gpedit and regedit, both didn't work. Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 I can't turn off service in regedit. Or there was yet...
  8. How to turn off Windows Update permanently

How to turn off Windows Update permanently: Previous windows were great, without regular major updates but copying apple and all the antivirus companies has made Windows awful to use. IF they want to copy someone they should copy Linux! On a modern PC/Laptop windows is great for a few years but then it is awful. I...
  9. Permanently disable windows update medic service & turn off updates

Permanently disable windows update medic service & turn off updates: Hi~ I need a way to disable the windows updates. I hate updates & I'm really sick of having updates forced on me with all this technology. I had the update feature shut off for years. I only turned it on if I needed something vital then shut it back off. Last September,...
  10. how to permanently turn off windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to permanently turn off windows 10 updates: Hi, My Question is that how can I permanently turn off windows 10 updates . I am using Windows 10 Enterprise . Help please 37285

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to permenantly disable windows updates on windows 10 wuaueng.dll