Windows 10: permently deleting files on old disk

Discus and support permently deleting files on old disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have reformated a drive from my old computer and now wish to overwrite it so the files cannot be recovered.I did tryPC shredder but this requires me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SouthEssex, Sep 11, 2021.

1. permently deleting files on old disk

I have reformated a drive from my old computer and now wish to overwrite it so the files cannot be recovered.I did tryPC shredder but this requires me to select files or a folder before it will operate and since re-formating these are no longer available on the drive.What programme would allow me to permanently delete all data on a re-formated disk?

:)

SouthEssex, Sep 11, 2021

2. Windows old files deleting

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community. I will be glad to assist you.

I suggest you follow this steps and check if it helps.

• Open Disk Cleanup by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.

• If you're prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files.

• If you're again prompted to choose a drive, click the drive you just installed Windows on, and then click OK.

• Select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and any other check boxes for the files you want to delete, and then click OK.

• In the message that appears, click Delete Files.
    Hope this helps.

For further assistance, you can post your query in Microsoft Community.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Sep 11, 2021
  3. deleting old windows files but disk space is still full

Here's the proper way to delete the Windows.old folder:

Step 1: Click in Windows' search field, type Cleanup, then click Disk Cleanup.

Step 2: Click the "Clean up system files" button.

Step 3: Wait a bit while Windows scans for files, then scroll down the list until you see "Previous Windows installation(s)."

Step 4: Check the box next to the entry, then make sure there are no other boxes checked (unless you do indeed want to delete those items). Click OK to start the cleanup.

FernandoYebra1, Sep 11, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

permently deleting files on old disk

deleting old windows file

Hi Ramon, your best option is to use Disk Cleanup (run both ways as shown below) to remove any old Windows Installations, old Updates . . . etc.

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Sep 11, 2021
Thema:

permently deleting files on old disk

1. permently deleting files on old disk - Similar Threads - permently deleting files

2. deleting old files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    deleting old files: hi, so long story short, i have a small ssd so i am trying to free up some storage space. i often use a program called WinDirStat that scans my ssd and tells me exactly what type of files take up space and where. i ran it, and ended up finding 4gb of ".help" files. i am not...
  3. How to remove files off my desktop without deleting them permently?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to remove files off my desktop without deleting them permently?: I had a tech issue but it ended up with me putting most of my D drive on my desktop but whenever I start to delete them it deletes them PERMENTLY and I have to cancel the delete. Is there anyway to remove them?...
  4. Deleting old system files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old system files: Hi! I had recently changed my C drive from hdd to ssd. So I have noticed that folders like program filesx86 and users folders are still presentwhich are heavy in storage , when I try to delete them it doesn't allows me to. Please help how can I delete these files....
  5. deleting old OS files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    deleting old OS files: Hi there I just moved my OS from my SSD to my M.2 SSD using Samsung magician everything worked fine and windows is booting from the new drive but all the files are still on the original SSD would it be okay to delete everything from that drive and just have the files on...
  6. Deleting old files of windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleting old files of windows: Should I delete the older files of windows 10 versions on my laptop or should I keep them? submitted by /u/cCrUzCc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fbgexs/deleting_old_files_of_windows/
  7. How To Delete Files From Old System Disk?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Delete Files From Old System Disk?: I want to delete the old Windows folder and a Windows.old folder from a system disk that had a totally corrupt system on and which I've just replaced with a new disk, new system. I'm copying all my data files off it and then I'll wipe it clean. That will delete the windows...
  8. Deleting old programme files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting old programme files: I have a lot of SERVICE REMEDIATION files in Programme files on c drive which are taking up a great deal of space is it ok to delete the older ones and just keep the most recent Thank you...
  9. Deleting Windows Old Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleting Windows Old Files: My Tablet just updated to Version 1803 Build 17134.81 As strange as it sounds, Windows Disk Cleanup says I have 11.5 GIGS! of "Old Windows Installation." Is this safe to delete/remove? 111537
  10. Files deleted on old disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Files deleted on old disk: Hi All, Long time last visit 18 Aug 2015 23:19 Slartybart Re installing 4 tb drive..... For those that remember...I took out the 1 tb drive from my HP pavilion 23 that was running windows 10 it was fully working apart from not a lot of room left due to mainly photos,...