Windows 10: Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files

Discus and support Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apologies if this topic has previously been discussed, but my search didn't yield helpful results. In attempting (unsuccessfully) to install a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phildosaurus, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files

Apologies if this topic has previously been discussed, but my search didn't yield helpful results.

In attempting (unsuccessfully) to install a citrix plugin for remote desktop, I'm discovering that advanced security settings for Program Files are screwed up, but I am unable to adjust them. I am currently logged in as administrator and user account control settings are set to "never notify". Please see the attached screenshot. Thanks in advance.

Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files [​IMG]

:)

phildosaurus, Jul 1, 2016

2. Having trouble with setting permissions on Windows 10.

Hi everyone. I have Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 4 M3 and I'm having trouble with setting permissions.

My goal is to be able to rename files located in the programfiles folder. But every time I do, it says I require permission from the user/admin.

I have set the owner to myself and have given myself full control so why is it asking myself for permission to rename a file?

These are the specific steps I am taking to try and rename the file:

1. Open file explorer

2. Navigate to C: drive.

3. Right click on Program Files

4. select properties

5. Select the Security tab.

6. Select Advanced

7. Change owner.

8. Set owner as (PCNAME\USER)

9. Check the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects"

10. Check the box "Replace all object permission entries with inheritable entries from this object"

11. Click apply.

It starts setting the security information to all the files and folder inside Program Files, but then I get an error at the end.

Error Applying Security - An error occurred while applying security information to: C:\Program Files. Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

This is then followed by a Windows Security error: Unable to save permission changes on Program Files. Access is denied.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

rocky619619, Jul 1, 2016
  3. Can't delete a folder within Program Files (x86)

I'm having an issue where I cannot delete a file in Program Files (x86) because I lack permission. I have tried to add permissions through the Properties>Security window but the options to add permissions are greyed out for every name on the list. Attempting
    to change the owner by going into Advanced Security Settings runs into a similar problem, it tells me that access is denied. The hidden administrator account runs into the same problem as well, so I am at a loss on what to try next. I have also attempted changing
    the permissions on the folder I want to delete, which works but when I try to delete it I get an error message saying I need permission from Nicholas, the name of the account I use.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

NicholasRucker, Jul 1, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files

What is the image you posted supposed to show? I don't see anything wrong. It's normal for Trusted Install to own the operating system directory trees like Program Files, Program Data, Windows, etc.

Your looks the same as mine:

Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files [​IMG]

Are you logged in as the normally hidden Administrator account or are you logged in as an Administrator level account?

Ztruker, Jul 2, 2016
  5. I'm one step farther in than you. If you choose "change permissions", you'll see the screen that I posted. Problem is (or at least I suspect), "Add" "Remove" and "enable inheritance" are unavailable for me. I have logged in with the "hidden" administrator account, with no success.

phildosaurus, Jul 2, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    If you want to change permissions of a file or directory you may need to take ownership first. So you could try to change the owner to your user profile and apply, You then may have to grant yourself the authority to make your change (so add full control for your profile for example).

Then you can change the permissions to whatever you want.

Once you are done you can remove your profile and then change owner back to "NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller" or whatever it was to begin with.

Owner of Files and Folders - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Note that only Program Files directory itself is owned by Trusted Installer. Sub-directories may not be - I have some owned by SYSTEM (for example 7-zip), some by Administrators group (for example MS Office), some by Trusted Installer (for example Windows Defender). You should therefore make a backup and be careful with using inheritance and of replacing owner of child objects so as not to mess everything up *Wink

I use Cisco VPN (and Cisco WebEx) and have not had to change any permissions and mine look like yours though so perhaps it is another issue.

lx07, Jul 2, 2016
  7. Thank you, lx. With different ownership, I was able to change security settings on the folder that was preventing my installation.

phildosaurus, Jul 2, 2016
  8. Ztruker Win User

Make sure you change ownership back to Trusted \Installer when done. I believe it's actually Windows_NT/TrustedInstaller or something like that.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Permission / Advanced Security Settings issue with Program Files - Similar Threads - Permission Advanced Security

2. Advanced security settings for scans

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advanced security settings for scans: I'm troubleshooting the "start actions" function in windows defender and one of the steps is to clear an item in the scans folder and the quarantine folder bit when I go to update the permissions it's grayed out. I've tried everything to change the permissions but it still...
  3. Advanced security settings for scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Advanced security settings for scans: I'm troubleshooting the "start actions" function in windows defender and one of the steps is to clear an item in the scans folder and the quarantine folder bit when I go to update the permissions it's grayed out. I've tried everything to change the permissions but it still...
  4. Issue in 'Advanced App Settings'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue in 'Advanced App Settings': Every time Windows starts there's is a notification of an account problem.The issue is in 'Advanced App Settings.Windows' When I click 'Sign in' I get an error....
  5. Issue in 'Advanced App Settings'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue in 'Advanced App Settings': Every time Windows starts there's is a notification of an account problem.The issue is in 'Advanced App Settings.Windows' When I click 'Sign in' I get an error....
  6. Changing permissions through advanced security settings freezes the tab

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing permissions through advanced security settings freezes the tab: To give you guys a bit of context, my pc was on the fritz before this current issue. My desktop was just a black screen with a mouse cursor. It was similar to the black screen of death. I looked around and it looks like it was a NVIDIA graphics driver issue. I tried...
  7. Users advanced security settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Users advanced security settings: I was in file explorer and opened the file users. 3 users came up. Mine, public and guest. Then I clicked on the properties of say public. It then bought up a screen and I clicked advanced settings and then clicked on find now. I clicked ok and a list of over 30 users came up...
  8. Help in regards to advance security settings.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help in regards to advance security settings.: Hello, I added an entry in the advance security settings for the folder WindowsApps, But as I double click on the entry it says it is corrupted and must be deleted. However, I can't remove it since the remove button is grayed out. How do I fix this? I have a Windows 10 Home...
  9. Advanced Security Settings

Advanced Security Settings: I am receiving an error msg concerning Skype "Another program is using this file" I cannot access windowsapps. In Advanced Security Settings, I cannot change my access level to "Full" I am logged in as administrator but my access is not "Full". Also there are a number of...
  10. Program Files Permissions

Program Files Permissions: Hi there, I upgraded from 7 to 10 today on my PC, and all appears to have gone well... 1 thing I noticed however was that I had a program that is portable (i.e. you run directly from it's own folder each time, rather than installing into Program Files), and because I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advanced security settings for program files

2. advanced secutiry settings on folders in windows

3. advanced security settings for program files windows 10