Windows 10: Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone

Discus and support Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My goal is to setup my current computer and an older laptop to run together over a home network (specifically, to run flight simulator x steam edition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by admoney58, May 29, 2017.

1. admoney58 Win User

Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone

My goal is to setup my current computer and an older laptop to run together over a home network (specifically, to run flight simulator x steam edition on my newer "host" and use the older "client" to run certain add-ons). I've troubleshot my way through a load of problems and it's finally boiled down to this problem I can't seem to resolve.

Here’s as much info as I can think to share about the setup:
    • Both host and client are connected by ethernet cables to a router, so no wireless issues as I have read wireless can cause problems for the applications I'm using.
    • Both computers are running updated windows 10 os.
    • My firewall is disabled on both computers for private networks (which includes my home network).
    • The hard drives are all shared between them with full control for each shared device for "Everyone".
    • UAC is turned off on both.

Each computer has a C and D drive, with system files on the C drive of each. I don't seem to have a problem navigating or accessing folders or files on either D drive from the remote computer, but I do have a problem accessing certain folders on the C drive of each. Specifically, the application I'm running needs read/write abilities in c:\user\myusername\documents and c:\user\myusername\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx. The problem is that for either computer I cannot get past the myusername (for my host it's "Admon", for the client it's "Andrew", not that it matters). I get the "Windows cannot access \\... You do not have permission to access..."

Each computer's drive has their respective root c and d drives shared for "everyone" with full control. I've also checked the security tabs to ensure everyone is listed with full control.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. Every troubleshooter I've found online has gotten me to this point but I still cannot access the user's folders (the users are both admins on their respective platforms).

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share their insights or ask questions.

:)

admoney58, May 29, 2017
  2. I P Daily Win User

Cannot open networked files in Windows 10

I thought I had better clarify I have checked the permissions of the files within the networked folder on both machines. Again I believe these permissions are correct.

Double left click on the networked folder > right click on the file > properties > security > the other user has allow ticked on full control, modify, read and execute, read and write > for special permissions and advanced settings > share > everyone has
    full control.

I P Daily, May 29, 2017
  3. amuzeini Win User
    Cannot access shared folder

OK, found solution. If you have shared a folder on your local network, and if it cannot be accessed by others despite giving FULL CONTROL in sharing options for EVERYONE. Try this... it basically involves granting full control to everyone in the security
    tab.

Right click folder > Security > Edit > Add > advanced > find now > and select Everyone. Click OK and close property box.

Now again right click the folder > Security > Edit > select Everyone and give full control in permissions.

That's it. Of course some may argue this lowers the security threshold for that shared folder, but I couldn't care less as it applies to me. I know whats in my shared folders (nothing of worth) and trust those in my local network.

amuzeini, May 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. The answer is very simple you are setting share permissions but that does not give you file /folder permission that is controlled by NTFS permissions even if your on a pc you cant normally get to other users desktop / profile etc. You need to add the other user to the folder permissions

Samuria, May 29, 2017
  5. admoney58 Win User
    Thank you for the welcome. Would you mind elaborating on a process for that? I thought going into the c drive's properties/security/advanced, selecting "everyone" and checking the "replace all child object permissions..." might fix it, but I'm not exactly sure how to do what you recommended.

Thanks

admoney58, May 29, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    If your not careful you will mess up your pc giving everyone access to the drive is crazy your asking for people to hack you and ransomware. You can share things by using the $ before the name like $myfiles that makes it hidden and only admin can connect. You only give permission to the folder by adding the other user dont change any other settings system must have full control for a lot of folders or windows wont work. see how to set permissions Windows 10 And 8.1 File And Folder Permissions (ACL) Tutorial Video - YouTube

Samuria, May 29, 2017
  7. admoney58 Win User
    Ok thank you for the warning and the link.

admoney58, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Permission denial on network drive folder w/ full control for everyone - Similar Threads - Permission denial network

2. Everyone getting access even after denying full control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everyone getting access even after denying full control: I restricted access to a user named "lab" by changing the permission as followsChanging Folder PermissionsRight Click on the Folder you wish to restrict properties onSelect “Properties”In the Properties window go to the Security tab and click on Edit.If the Guest user account...
  3. Everyone getting access even after denying full control

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Everyone getting access even after denying full control: I restricted access to a user named "lab" by changing the permission as followsChanging Folder PermissionsRight Click on the Folder you wish to restrict properties onSelect “Properties”In the Properties window go to the Security tab and click on Edit.If the Guest user account...
  4. Full control permissions and Access rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  5. Full control permissions and Access rights

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  6. Full control permissions and Access rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Denial of Access to a major Folder, Read-Permissions, Owner

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Denial of Access to a major Folder, Read-Permissions, Owner: When I try to access my largest picture Folder in File Explorer in Build 1909 that was installed on April 11, 2020--; I get a message box telling me I do not have Permission to access it. I am the only person ever to operate this computer--; unless one includes the up to...
  8. Should "Everyone" have full permissions ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should "Everyone" have full permissions ?: Hello, I am having some trouble understanding network share permissions. I think I screwed by default settings up. I want to give read-only access to a folder so my family members can access my photos, videos etc on the LAN. I don't want to give write permissions for...
  9. File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File/Directory Permissions Denial after moving drive to new computer: Windows 10 Dell replacing old Windows 10 Dell. All data (docs, pics, xls, etc.) kept on second drive. Moved data drive to new machine. Have same user name, login, etc., HOWEVER, I am getting file permission errors on modifying, saving, deleting, moving files. I've given...
  10. How to get full permissions for C drive folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get full permissions for C drive folders?: I have spent a ridiculous amount of time Googling this now, going from forum to forum and am now (understandably, no?) feeling very irritated! *sarc Why on earth do Microsoft design Windows 10 Home Edition so that dialogue boxes come up telling you to contact the system or...