Windows 10: Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; We upgraded from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since the all USB Flash drives are failing with permissions denied. I've tried several things. -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BarbHuck, Feb 1, 2020.

1. BarbHuck Win User

Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

We upgraded from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since the all USB Flash drives are failing with permissions denied. I've tried several things.

- I tried updating the Driver using Device Manager for all of the USB Root entries. I even removed all of the USB Root entries. All drivers now say that I am running the latest version.

- I have given all permissions to the folders/files on the flash drive to Everyone, My Account and Administrator. I was able to reformat the flash drive, but writing anything to it still doesn't work. I created a file in notepad called hi.txt and tried to save it. It fails with permission denied. However, if I look at File Explorer, it shows up with 0 bytes. Then I try to remove it and it says permission denied, but the file goes away.

:)

BarbHuck, Feb 1, 2020
  2. KHL
    khl Win User

Can not save to network drive, permissions denied

Another problem out of nowhere.

A USB stick on a Linksys router used as a network drive.

Suddenly, can not save to the drive, and PC says "permission denied."

Can find no way to change permissions.

Get error message: "An error occured while applying security information - failed to enumerate objects in the container, Access is denied."

Checked online and no suggestions work.

Router firmware does not need updating.

Power cycling router makes no difference.

Switching USB ports on the router makes no difference.

USB stick has plenty of empty space.

32-bit Windows 10 version 1809, build 17763.316 3 GB RAM.

3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

access denied for a usb flash drive.

Hi. BryanHenson1

My name is Douglas and I am an Independent Advisor.

I would like to help you.

To help you a little more with this bug, what kind of error it shows as information since what you indicate may be that a corrupted or malicious file damages your USB flash drive.

In the same way, you can use the error checking tool, this tool integrated in the Windows system to check and correct errors of the device.

If you have access problems on your hard drive, USB, SD card or file folders, you can follow the steps below to correct the "Access Denied" error on your device now:

1. Connect an inaccessible device, such as a hard drive, an external hard drive, an SD card or USB with a PC;

2. Open this computer> Right-click on the file folder or your inaccessible device and select Properties;

3. Select Tools> Click Check> Browse drive.

If your problem is already resolved, you can access your device and directly open the unit.

Another option is to obtain permissions to Hard Disk, USB, SD Card or Inaccessible File Folders:

1. Right click on the hard drive, USB, Micro sd or file folder and select Properties;

2. Go to Security> Edit;

3. When opening a new window, click on your user name in Group or user names;

4. Check all the boxes in the Allow column and click OK, and then click Apply to obtain permissions and access your inaccessible device.

If these two quick repairs still do not help you, relax!

We offer you 2 options and you can choose one according to your own case.

1. If you have important data on this device, you can try Method 1 below to solve this problem without losing any of your data;

2. If the data is useless, try Method 2 to fix 'Access Denied' error of your storage device (such as USB, sd card, internal or external hard disk) or file folders through formatting.

DouglasMillar69, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

1. Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Permission Denied USB

2. Access denied to usb flash drive - Help!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access denied to usb flash drive - Help!: Trying to access new Sandisk flash drive on laptop but error message access denied you have no permission. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-denied-to-usb-flash-drive-help/37e9b2a8-1bc6-4a08-801b-86240bcc0f27
  3. Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10

Cannot access USB flash drive after upgrade to Windows 10: Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 on Lenovo. Have been using SanDisk UltraFit USB drive without any issues. After upgrade was moving files from SSD hard drive to USB drive and transfer process stopped and froze laptop. Rebooted laptop and from then onward the USB drive is not...
  4. Windows 10 unable to access any USB flash drives - "Access denied"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 unable to access any USB flash drives - "Access denied": Hello, Since recently my Windows 10 PC is unable to open any USB sticks. It always displays an error massage:"Location is not avaliable. Access denied.". I tried changing the ownership settings but I am unable to do that too. Another massage is displayed:"Unable to set new...
  5. Windows 10 pro upgrade denies permission

Windows 10 pro upgrade denies permission: [IMG][IMG]Please help this is very annoying https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-upgrade-denies-permission/6fdb82ff-ee98-4a64-9402-a961979dfc41"
  6. Access denied local drive after changing permission

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access denied local drive after changing permission: Hello I was trying to change access under security tab in properties to my local disk S: However I messed up the process and now I am unable to access the whole drive. I have run chkdsk in cmd after dismounting and it is showing no error. Please note after initiating the...
  7. Windows 10 USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 USB Flash Drive: What should I do if I accidentally wipe my MCT created USB flash drive containing the installation files with diskpart clean command and I don't have another PC handy to redownload the MCT? Do I need to call a repair shop? 130937
  8. After using the USB Flash Drive to reinstall Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    After using the USB Flash Drive to reinstall Windows 10: After I used the USB flash drive to reinstall the Windows 10, my startup disk became the disk that I choose when I use the flash drive which was D', the previous startup disk was SSD and now become E'. So how can I set the SSD as the startup disk?...
  9. access denied for a usb flash drive.

access denied for a usb flash drive.: I have a new hp laptop and I cannot access any usb flash drives. I am not a computer person and I have tried all the internet solutions. Can you help me?...
  10. execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10: everytime i execute an exe file in file explorer or at command prompt in this external hard drive it says permission denied, but when i execute with admin privilege it executes. i do not want this. it is unsafe to execute exe file as admin. i changed owner and full control...