Windows 10: Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu...

Discus and support Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; sudo rm -r ~/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/pub/datacom/Logs rm: cannot remove 'Logs/nova/index.html?C=S;O=A': Permission denied rm: cannot remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/InadequateUsername, May 22, 2020.

1. Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu...

sudo rm -r ~/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/pub/datacom/Logs

rm: cannot remove 'Logs/nova/index.html?C=S;O=A': Permission denied

rm: cannot remove 'Logs/nova/miner_1-1_192-168-0-20_2019-05-24_18-53-45.tar.gz': Permission denied

In an elavated (admin) powershell I enter

wsl -u root

sudo rm -r /home/username/www.gegnet.com.br/

rm: cannot remove '/home/elijah/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/tmp/index.html?C=M;O=D': Permission denied

rm cannot remove '/home/elijah/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/tmp/index.html?C=N;O=A': Permission denied

rm: cannot remove '/home/elijah/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/tmp/index.html?C=N;O=D': Permission denied

rm: cannot remove '/home/elijah/www.gegnet.com.br/~noc/tmp/index.html?C=S;O=A': Permission denied

https://i.imgur.com/U9meQ8d.jpg

submitted by /u/InadequateUsername
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/InadequateUsername, May 22, 2020
  2. silkstone Win User

Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

So I am trying to delete a folder from my secondary HDD called .Trash-999 that is from and ubuntu bootdisk. I managed to do it on the c:\ drive, but on my d:\ drive i am getting an error telling me that i don;t have permission to delete it.

I recently had a problem with windows permissions and fixed it on the c:\ drive with a windows re-install but i accidentally set up windows on d:\ The files contained within are from a mistaken windows install, which i tried to delete through ubuntu, it seems that ubuntu was able to move the files to the trash, but unable to delete them entirely.
    When i go to security on the folder, it tells me that i don't have permission to do this action. although the permissions on the folder gives re/write to everyone. However, when i go to the individual folders in there, no one has permission and when i try to give permission i get an access denied message.

Update - I just found a nifty little program that adds a take ownership option to the right click menu, this has allowed me to (finally) delete all the folders/files i need to.

silkstone, May 22, 2020
  3. syfer Win User
    Cannot delete .Trash-999 folder

Hi may I ask what was the program name that used ownership option can you help me I have the same problem.

syfer, May 22, 2020
  4. Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu...

Folder Access Denied - Cannot delete folder

Attempting to delete a folder tells me I need administrator permission, even though I am an administrator.

Trying to view the contents of the folder says "Access is denied."

Under the security tab, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue."

Under Advanced, it says "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions".

Clicking "Continue" says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings." under both Permissions and Effective Access.

Clicking "Change" to change the ownership gives me the same error - I am unable to change the ownership settings of the folder.

Any suggestions?

Richard_N_Shen, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu...

1. Permission Denied when attempting to delete the contents of a folder from "Bash on Ubuntu... - Similar Threads - Permission Denied attempting

2. Permission is denied by Windows in VMware in Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission is denied by Windows in VMware in Ubuntu: i am sharing window folder with vnware ubuntu. when i edit the file that is located in the share folder of window in the ubuntu then it gives error of permission denied below screenshots are attached.w...
  3. Permission is denied by Windows in VMware in Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission is denied by Windows in VMware in Ubuntu: i am sharing window folder with vnware ubuntu. when i edit the file that is located in the share folder of window in the ubuntu then it gives error of permission denied below screenshots are attached.w...
  4. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  5. Access denied when attempting to delete folder

Access denied when attempting to delete folder: I upgraded to Windows 11 from Windows 10, some time ago, and I wanted to delete the Windows.old folder--since I no longer need it.I was stopped by an "access denied" message. And yes, I am in ADMINISTRATOR mode, since I AM the owner of this machine.Really? I'm being denied...
  6. SSH connection From Mac to WSL2 ubuntu bash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSH connection From Mac to WSL2 ubuntu bash: Hi there, I enabled ssh connection from a Mac to WSL2 ubuntu following these steps-> https://www.hanselman.com/blog/the-easy-way-how-to-ssh-into-bash-and-wsl2-on-windows-10-from-an-external-machineThe first connection works well, but after terminating the session and start...
  7. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  8. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  9. windowsapps folder permissions denied

10. Denied attempt to delete unused folder in WIN10 task scheduler.

in Windows 10 Support
    Denied attempt to delete unused folder in WIN10 task scheduler.: Greetings. Doing some house cleaning and found this folder "NCH Software" in the task scheduler. Denied deletion because of insufficient UAC permissions. I am using admin privileges and tried it in safe mode but was informed the task scheduler is not available in safe mode....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wsl ubuntu cannot remove folder permission denied