Windows 10: permission for network users

Discus and support permission for network users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop (A) which connects to a PC (B) via LAN. B is a backup computer. I have batch files that copy files from A to B all the time. Last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yky378, Sep 16, 2019.

1. yky378 Win User

permission for network users

I have a laptop (A) which connects to a PC (B) via LAN. B is a backup computer. I have batch files that copy files from A to B all the time.

Last week, I reinstalled Windows 10 built 1903 on B as a clean installation. So, everything on B, Windows, apps, settings, etc., are all gone except the files. Now, the batch files don't work because I don't have permission to modify files on B. I now need to grant permission on B to users on A.

I'm the only person who uses these two computers. No other people do. So, my situation is relatively simple. There are two administrator accounts on each computer, the default Administrator account and another administrator account. They had had the same userid and password on both computers until one day I unwittingly changed the default Administrator on A to a Microsoft account. The other account stays the same on both computer.

If my memory serves me correctly, on all drives on B, I had in the sharing permission administrator/administrators and they had full control. In security, the administrators also had full control. Such settings don't work now. Some articles on this site say I need to grant, on sharing permission, full control to everyone. Is that safe (can't remember if that's how I did it)? I know I'm the only user but just in case there are hackers, intruders, etc. I want to stay on the safe side.

:)

yky378, Sep 16, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Sep 16, 2019
  3. Gino Des Win User
    Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Sep 16, 2019
  4. kureng Win User

Network share to require login

try add user "everyone" and mark read and list permission

kureng, Sep 16, 2019
Thema:

1. permission for network users - Similar Threads - permission network users

2. user permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    user permissions: hi. i tried to set permissons on my user account for another drive. it has done all its things but i get a error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/db724478-68a3-47a6-8059-93a0ae0cbbbb
  3. how do network user gain write permission?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do network user gain write permission?: I hAve the same login info for both accounts on network computers but only have read permission over the network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-network-user-gain-write-permission/0165f8dd-9ab4-4880-a880-97397ed59661
  4. how do network user gain write permission?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do network user gain write permission?: I hAve the same login info for both accounts on network computers but only have read permission over the network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-network-user-gain-write-permission/0165f8dd-9ab4-4880-a880-97397ed59661
  5. Network permissions?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network permissions?: I can see the other computers, yet the message is "I do not have permission to access them?...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-permissions/31abd77e-4787-46fc-8097-a54270d554fd
  6. USER PERMISSIONS?

in Windows 10 Customization
    USER PERMISSIONS?: I have been using a sleep apnea data app on Win 10 for several months with no issues. Over the last week or so, the app has become non-functional. I have sought help from the Apnea Board community and have tried numerous fixes with no success. One of the forum advisors...
  7. User Permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    User Permissions: How do I reset all user permissions to default. I may have accidentally deleted a profile that is needed., Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-permissions/97475d02-2691-484b-ad2a-99bd5e802315
  8. Granting permission to network user to change files.

Granting permission to network user to change files.: Hello there, Would you please help me to grant a permission for another computer( which is connected via network ) to change files. Thanks Ilhom...
  9. Network Permissions

Network Permissions: It is amazing to me that users of Windows 10 are not able to share files between computers--whether another one is using Windows 10 or Windows 7. And the reply posted below to the same question as mine does not work, and there is no update to it after it being posted 3 1/2...
  10. Permissions on network users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions on network users: Since the last update I am unable to access other computers on my home wifi network. The error message says that "you do not have permission to access (a particular computer). Contact administrator to request access." How do I remedy this problem?...