Windows 10: permission in system to delet a old file

Discus and support permission in system to delet a old file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to delete windows old and it says I must get permission in system. Can someone tell me how??... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MelindaSweatman, Mar 1, 2020.

1. permission in system to delet a old file

I am trying to delete windows old and it says I must get permission in system. Can someone tell me how??

:)

MelindaSweatman, Mar 1, 2020
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    Code:
    icacls "C:" /t /c /q /RESET
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    Code:
    icacls "c:\" /t /c /q Administrators:f
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

permission in system to delet a old file wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Mar 1, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

permission in system to delet a old file

Needing permission from SYSTEM to delete windows old.

When you used disk cleanup, did you click the button to clean up old system files?

cereberus, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

permission in system to delet a old file

1. permission in system to delet a old file - Similar Threads - permission system delet

2. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  3. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  4. Can't delete old drivers without SYSTEM permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete old drivers without SYSTEM permission: Hello- I recently tried installing an old Wacom tablet on my new pc running Windows 11. I got an error message during the install saying that some drivers wouldn't install correctly, and to try disabling memory integrity to fix the problem. I did that and installed the...
  5. Can't delete old drivers without SYSTEM permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete old drivers without SYSTEM permission: Hello- I recently tried installing an old Wacom tablet on my new pc running Windows 11. I got an error message during the install saying that some drivers wouldn't install correctly, and to try disabling memory integrity to fix the problem. I did that and installed the...
  6. Still unable to delete old system files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Still unable to delete old system files: A while ago I moved to using an SSD as my main boot drive but kept my HDD as storage. I didn't want to wipe it so all of the old windows files are still on the drive. I have tried taking ownership of the files and also running the takeown command in an admin command prompt....
  7. Deleting old system files

Deleting old system files: Hi! I had recently changed my C drive from hdd to ssd. So I have noticed that folders like program filesx86 and users folders are still presentwhich are heavy in storage , when I try to delete them it doesn't allows me to. Please help how can I delete these files....
  8. delete system files on old drive

delete system files on old drive: How do I delete system files on a hard disk that is no longer the boot disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-system-files-on-old-drive/fcca3c2d-6e30-4ad0-84a0-d416759010aa"
  9. Require SYSTEM permission to delete this file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Require SYSTEM permission to delete this file: So I have having issues with Windows defender sucking up my RAM. I was attempting to remedy this issue but every time I go to try to do anything that requires administrator permission I get told that I need system permission to do it. I am logged in on an Administrator...
  10. Needing permission from SYSTEM to delete windows old.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Needing permission from SYSTEM to delete windows old.: Hi folks, I want to delete the windows old folder in windows 10 as its hogging up quite a bit of space, only upgraded windows 8 to 10 a few days ago. However it wont let me, I have tried disk cleanup and tried to delete the windows old folder, but it tells me I don't...