Windows 10: Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it

Discus and support Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; My PC has one SSD drive with Win 10 Build 18362.476 and other files. I started my PC as usual but this time I was offered the Win Installation Window.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by monitorwin10, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it

My PC has one SSD drive with Win 10 Build 18362.476 and other files.

I started my PC as usual but this time I was offered the Win Installation Window. Restart didn't help and because I have very important files on this drive I immediately shut down my PC.

After that, I connected this drive over the USB external case to my Laptop (Win 8) to save files. I couldn't get access to the User folder, so I right-click it, go to security and I added a new group or username "Everyone" and gave it full control. Now I could copy files to my Laptop. Also, I removed some files from that drive (it had the only 800mb left of free space).

After that I returned back problematic drive to my PC and started it. This time Windows did load, but some icons lost their images, and when I try to run some programs or windows application I get a message:
    "How to fix This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page"
    The start was also not working, file explorer and some other features too.

I came to conclusion that permissions got messed up and because of that some programs could not access their files.

Now I tried to create a new owner and permission:

Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it [​IMG]

That gave me access to the Start menu but most other stuff is not working.

How can I reset my user permission to default? What can I do?

:)

monitorwin10, Nov 30, 2019

2. When clicking the files getting error that the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

Hello,

I understand that when you try to open the file, you are prompted that the files does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. We will certainly help you.

• What file are you trying to open?
    This issue is caused if the file is not associated with any of the application or program to open it.

If those files are the pictures as I can see that you are trying to access the picture folder. I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves.

• Right click on the file and select Open with.
    • Select Photo App or Photo Gallery.
    • Double click and check if you are able to open that file.
    Keep us posted if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it

Permission issues

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

This may be caused by incorrect permissions on the files.

You can fix this using these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it

1. Permission issue - this file does not have an app associated with it - Similar Threads - Permission issue file

2. File does not have an app associated error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File does not have an app associated error: This has been an on & off almost daily issue where, at random times, no new apps can be opened, the taskbar and start menu stop working, etc. Attempting to open any app or file will give the error: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action....
  3. File does not have an app associated error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File does not have an app associated error: This has been an on & off almost daily issue where, at random times, no new apps can be opened, the taskbar and start menu stop working, etc. Attempting to open any app or file will give the error: "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action....
  4. Explorer.exe permission denied: this file does not have an app associated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer.exe permission denied: this file does not have an app associated: It seems like I have gotten logged out of explorer. I followed the recommendation of another Microsoft community form and activated the hidden administrator to try and fix another issue, but it ended up adding more on top.Now, I can't open any explorer related windows eg:...
  5. Explorer.exe permission denied: this file does not have an app associated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe permission denied: this file does not have an app associated: It seems like I have gotten logged out of explorer. I followed the recommendation of another Microsoft community form and activated the hidden administrator to try and fix another issue, but it ended up adding more on top.Now, I can't open any explorer related windows eg:...
  6. Explorer.exe permission denied: this file does not have an app associated

7. This file does not have an app associated with it. HELP!

This file does not have an app associated with it. HELP!: Hi , I'm trying to download a zip file from Google Docs to my comp. But everytime it finishes downloading I get an error message saying "this app does not have a file associated with it for performing this action...." Can you please tell me what I'm missing?...
  8. this file does not have an app associated with it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    this file does not have an app associated with it: I just bought a brand new pc. And I'm trying to download a file and it keeps saying "this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app, or if one is installed, create an association in the default apps setting page." Is there...
  9. File does not have an app associated with it

File does not have an app associated with it: I installed an application today to try to open an .RAL file a client sent me. It was supposed to be a data file but I couldn't open it and wanted to see it so I installed a trail version of WinRail. It still couldn't open it, so I tried to uninstall WinRail. I am getting...
  10. This file does not have an app associated with it

This file does not have an app associated with it: The early August update (at least that is when it f*cked my machine) changed a lot of stuff Is use regularly. The worst problem for me is that the .PAR2 files have a different icon then before which prevents using the .PAR2 files from doing there checking of the down loaded...