Windows 10: Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Discus and support Permission issues to access files shared over a network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jewini, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jewini Win User

Permission issues to access files shared over a network

From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some folders on computer A from computer B accessible and others are not?

***Modified Title from: Network Permissions***

:)

Jewini, Jan 12, 2019
  2. Gino Des Win User

Permission to access network

Hi Kristen,

You might be experiencing this issue because you lost permission to access the network resource or shortcut after upgrading your computer. To better assist you with this problem, we would like to know the following information.

• Are you using the shortcut to access a file or folder located on another computer in the network?
    • Is the file or folder located on the computer that you recently upgraded?
    • What is the exact error message that you received when accessing the shortcut?
    • Are you using a homegroup to share files between devices on your local network?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, let's run the Network troubleshooter. This troubleshooter finds and fixes common connection problems. Here's how:

• Click Start.
    • Start typing Network problems, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems
      in the results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that fixes the problem.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Jan 12, 2019
  3. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Network Sharing permission issues in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

• go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System"

• under the "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings" click the shielded "change settings" option (far right)

• on the "Computer Name" tab, press the "Change" button (bottom right)

• rename the computer to anything other than what it is now

• follow the restart prompts

• using another computer you should now be able to use windows explorer to refresh the computers on the network (under "Network" drop list) and access the newly named computer, it will ask for credentials (username and password)
      in my case that is the targets Microsoft id and password, this grants full access to anything shared on that computer

• repeat these steps on any other computer not allowing access on the network
    Keep in mind all of my sharing permissions are open with full control, and remember as an example if A is on A’s computer and he wants to gain network access to computer then he has to enter Microsoft username and password

Also I would suggest you to download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Refer to the link below for more information on how to fix network connectivity issues:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...1&v4h=winxptab1&web-networking-help=windows-8

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Please share the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

Permission issues to access files shared over a network

1. Permission issues to access files shared over a network - Similar Threads - Permission issues access

2. Windows 11 accessing shared files/folders permission issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 accessing shared files/folders permission issues: As a trial I've upgraded 1 of our Corporate PCs to Windows 11. The issue this time around is a permissions issue.We have local AD and all other systems are windows 10. I currently have a "dev" pc I run scheduled python scripts on. That is in a folder called Data. I can login...
  3. Windows 11 accessing shared files/folders permission issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 accessing shared files/folders permission issues: As a trial I've upgraded 1 of our Corporate PCs to Windows 11. The issue this time around is a permissions issue.We have local AD and all other systems are windows 10. I currently have a "dev" pc I run scheduled python scripts on. That is in a folder called Data. I can login...
  4. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  5. File sharing over private network

File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  6. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  7. Problems sharing files over network

Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  8. Problems sharing files over network

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems sharing files over network: I have Windows 10 on a laptop and am trying to connect to a Windows 7 machine. Password sharing is turned off, it's set to share with everyone on the 7 machine. I can see it on the network, and see the folders, but I when I try to open one it says I don't have permission....
  9. File sharing over a home network

File sharing over a home network: Hello, By following instructions from this site for sharing files on my home network, which has two computers on it, I have been able to share files from one computer, a laptop connected to the network, with a desktop computer on the same network. I have not been able to...
  10. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. permission issue on a shared network files

2. network permission issues