Windows 10: Permission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive

Discus and support Permission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have deployed laptop under company domain and move users desktop and documents to D drive. However, I found out there is permission problem where... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by neokw1, Dec 28, 2020.

1. neokw1 Win User

Permission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive

I have deployed laptop under company domain and move users desktop and documents to D drive. However, I found out there is permission problem where another user using the same laptop can view another user desktop and documents files? Anyway I can solve this problem? If it is placed in C Drive this will not happen as other users should have no permission to view on another users desktop and documents under the domain login.

:)

neokw1, Dec 28, 2020

2. No permission to save to D:\ drive

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Have you mapped the libraries to the D: drive?
    • Is the issue specific to the subfolder in D: drive?

Try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Creating New File In D: Drive.

1. Go to D: drive > Right-click on an empty space in D: drive > Click on
      New > Click Text Document.
    2. Give a name to the Text Document and save it and check if you get the same error.

If you don't get any error while saving the file in D: drive and you get this error message only while saving a document in D:\charl\Documents, then follow
    Method 2 to take the ownership of Documents folder, else follow
    Method 3

Method 2: Taking Ownership Of A Particular Folder.

1. Click on Start Menu > Search for Command Prompt >
      Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on Run As Administrator.
    2. Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands and hit
      Enter after each command.

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

Note: Replace foldername with the path of the folder.

3. Once the above commands are executed successfully,
    restart the computer once, and check if you are able to save the documents in that folder.

Method 3: Check If You Are The Administrator From Netplwiz.

1. Click on the Start menu > Search for Netplwiz > Hit
      Enter.
    2. Click on your user name and click on Properties.
    3. Go to Group Membership tab and choose Administrator > Click on
      Apply > OK.
    4. Once you change this setting, restart the computer once and check for the issue.

Method 3: Disabling Antivirus.

If you have installed any third-party security software, I suggest you to temporarily disable them, restart the computer once, and check for the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 28, 2020
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Not enough space on Recovery (DPermission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive :) drive.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please help me with the following:

1. What is the make and model number of your Computer?

Please note that recovery "D" is a partition on the hard drive which contains the image of the Operating system. You can use it to restore the computer back to factory settings. You should not attempt to store files in it.
    If you have any data saved on the D drive, I would suggest you to move it to an external drive and to free up some space, you can follow the steps provided in the article:
    Free up drive space in Windows 10.

If you are using a HP computer, then you can refer to this article:
    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (DPermission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive :) Hard Drive?

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Permission problem when move desktop, documents to D Drive - Similar Threads - Permission problem move

2. Problem Moving Music Folder to D: Data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Moving Music Folder to D: Data drive: I was trying to move the Music folder Library? from the C drive to the D drive. I went to Music, Properties, Location and selected Move as instructed but when I selected a target of the Music folder I just created on the D drive it gave a warning about Child/Parent or...
  3. Problem Moving Music Folder to D: Data drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem Moving Music Folder to D: Data drive: I was trying to move the Music folder Library? from the C drive to the D drive. I went to Music, Properties, Location and selected Move as instructed but when I selected a target of the Music folder I just created on the D drive it gave a warning about Child/Parent or...
  4. Problem Moving Music Folder to D: Data drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive

Can't Move Documents Folder From C to D Drive: I have not been able to move my documents folder from my C drive, which is a solid state drive, to my D drive, which is a regular hard drive. I've tried going into the folder properties and changing the location, but it doesn't move. I do not have One Drive installed on my...
  6. Can't move Documents to D:\Data

Can't move Documents to D:\Data: When I try to move Document to D:\Data I get:"Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied."I've never seen this before and I've been moving at least since Win 10 came out I think since Win 7.Oh it let me...
  7. Moved Documents Folder to D: drive but didn't free up space

Moved Documents Folder to D: drive but didn't free up space: My C: drive is practically full and one of the things taking up a lot of space is my Sims game so I looked into moving that to the practically empty D: drive. In order to do that I needed to move the full documents folder, which I did by following this tutorial:...
  8. How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?

How do you MOVE Documents from C: Drive to D: Drive?: My computer is a hybrid of 256GB SS drive C: and an HDD 1 TB drive D:. All the data files have been saved to the C: drive so far, but now I have used up almost all of the 256GB. There is nothing on the D: drive. I want to move my Document folders and files, and Picture...
  9. Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents Folder disappears from D drive after moving: Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit Problem: Moved Desktop, Documents & Pictures from %UserProfile% folder on C drive to new location on D drive. OneDrive syncing was turned off. Operation success. The next day the same folders were missing from D drive, only present in OneDrive...
  10. No permission to save to D:\ drive

No permission to save to D:\ drive: I know this question has been asked before, but none of those answers have been able to help me. I have a C:\ drive and a D:\ drive on my computer. For some reason, my computer decided that the much smaller C:\ drive would be the better option to save things to. Now my C:\ is...