Windows 10: Permission problems when saving to a data drive.

Discus and support Permission problems when saving to a data drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a drive that holds all my projects and a drive that holds my operating system. When I have a program open like blender, Photoshop, ect... when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NickBurgess3, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Permission problems when saving to a data drive.

I have a drive that holds all my projects and a drive that holds my operating system. When I have a program open like blender, Photoshop, ect... when i try to save the file to the data drive it says it does not have permission to save. My user is the admin user and I have run the programs as admin with similar results. It wont happen all the time. It seems to pop up after like an hour working on a project. My current way around this is to save an entirely new file. Is there a way to manage administration privileges of the programs or folders I am saving to for the data drive?

:)

NickBurgess3, Sep 8, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Sep 8, 2020
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Sep 8, 2020
  4. Permission problems when saving to a data drive.

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Permission problems when saving to a data drive. :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Sep 8, 2020
Thema:

Permission problems when saving to a data drive.

1. Permission problems when saving to a data drive. - Similar Threads - Permission problems saving

2. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  3. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  4. Format C Drive To Save Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. One Drive permission problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One Drive permission problem: I am sure that this has come up before: I use One Drive as a backup, but I keep getting an error message which tells me that there is "No access permission to the item" and that I should "Ensure you have the right permission" completely unhelp without telling you how to do...
  6. Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine

Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine: Good MorningI have a PC specific issue which is doing my head in! Was wondering if anyone is able to help.The symptoms:Saving any file to the local PC is fineSaving any file to a network share on multiple file servers brings up an error message: \\path to network shareYou...
  7. NAS drive permissions problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NAS drive permissions problem: So I have a Seagate Central NAS connected to my network which I can access from my laptop. I also have an external drive plugged into the back of it for extra storage. When I open up the network drive on my laptop it comes up 2 folders, "Public" is the main folder for the...
  8. Can not save to network drive, permissions denied

Can not save to network drive, permissions denied: Another problem out of nowhere. A USB stick on a Linksys router used as a network drive. Suddenly, can not save to the drive, and PC says "permission denied." Can find no way to change permissions. Get error message: "An error occured while applying security information -...
  9. No permission to save to D:\ drive

No permission to save to D:\ drive: I know this question has been asked before, but none of those answers have been able to help me. I have a C:\ drive and a D:\ drive on my computer. For some reason, my computer decided that the much smaller C:\ drive would be the better option to save things to. Now my C:\ is...
  10. Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission problem when saving a document or adding an email account: When trying to add an email account to Outlook 2013 on my daughters Surface Pro 3 running Win10 I get the following error message AFTER the test message is successfully sent. The specified device, file, or path cannot be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in...