Windows 10: Permission rights in Windows 10

Discus and support Permission rights in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two user accounts on my computer one admistrator user and one standard user. I also have one separated hard drive dedicated for user data:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by puertas12, Oct 8, 2019.

1. puertas12 Win User

Permission rights in Windows 10

I have two user accounts on my computer one admistrator user and one standard user. I also have one separated hard drive dedicated for user data: images, documents, videos... I tried to hide this hard drive from the standard user folling this process:

1.- Right click on the hard drive
    2.- In the contextual menu I clicked Properties
    3.- Click on the Security tab
    4.- In the Group or user name I selected Users
    5.- I click on Edit with administration permissions
    6.- I unticked all the Allow tickboxes
    7.- I clicked on Apply
    -> The hard drive became not accessible either by the Administratior user as by the standard user

Afterwards I reverted the configuration. Unfortunatelly Windows is presenting a lot of permission rights issues also from the Administrator:
    - I cannot create shorcuts in the Desktop.
    The following message is displayed: "Windows could not create the shortcut. Check to see if the disk is full"
    - I can't open a file with a program, the following message is displayed: "You don't have permissions to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permissions"
    - The new contextual menu in Desktop does not allow to create new items like new folder, new file, etc. (see attached screenshot)

Permission rights in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Can anyone help me to solve the permission rights issues?

:)

puertas12, Oct 8, 2019
  2. Solaris17 Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Oct 8, 2019
  3. cdawall Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Oct 8, 2019
  4. Permission rights in Windows 10

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

Permission rights in Windows 10

1. Permission rights in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Permission rights

2. Permissions not working right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions not working right: I'm trying to set permissions on a guest user profile I'm making on my computer. For my C - Drive, I only set read & execute, list folder contents, and read permissions for that guest profile in the security tab when right clicking and selecting properties on the folder. I...
  3. Permissions not working right

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permissions not working right: I'm trying to set permissions on a guest user profile I'm making on my computer. For my C - Drive, I only set read & execute, list folder contents, and read permissions for that guest profile in the security tab when right clicking and selecting properties on the folder. I...
  4. Permissions not working right

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permissions not working right: I'm trying to set permissions on a guest user profile I'm making on my computer. For my C - Drive, I only set read & execute, list folder contents, and read permissions for that guest profile. I then create a test folder with some test documents as an admin in the C - Drive...
  5. Inquiry Regarding Usage Rights and Permissions for Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler Content

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inquiry Regarding Usage Rights and Permissions for Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler Content: I recognize that it might sound odd for someone to be interested in something from this particular product, but please bear with me. I am reaching out to inquire about the usage rights and permissions for certain content included on the Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler...
  6. Inquiry Regarding Usage Rights and Permissions for Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler Content

Inquiry Regarding Usage Rights and Permissions for Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler Content: I recognize that it might sound odd for someone to be interested in something from this particular product, but please bear with me. I am reaching out to inquire about the usage rights and permissions for certain content included on the Games for Windows 95 CD Sampler...
  7. Full control permissions and Access rights

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  8. Full control permissions and Access rights

Full control permissions and Access rights: I accidentally applied deny permissions on the c: drive. Now I can not open the C: drive and the printer can't connect, worse off the I cannot enable the wifi adapter. I tried several solutions to noavail. When I double click on the C: a message pops up saying access denied....
  9. Full control permissions and Access rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. What gives Microsoft or Windows the right to modify my computer without my permission?...

What gives Microsoft or Windows the right to modify my computer without my permission?...: I would appreciate if someone could answer this question. On multiple occasions, either Microsoft365 formerly Office365 or Windows have automatically downloaded and installed updates on my computer. I do realize I can pause these updates...for 7 days. But if I am not...