Windows 10: Permission to open and edit files

Discus and support Permission to open and edit files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am the only user of my home laptop. I log in as Administrator and want to open files I set up as User but am denied permission. How can I gain... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Lindsay Reed, May 7, 2019.

1. Permission to open and edit files

I am the only user of my home laptop. I log in as Administrator and want to open files I set up as User but am denied permission. How can I gain permission to view and edit them as Administrator?

:)

Lindsay Reed, May 7, 2019
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Editing permissions

Hi ejmw,

Issues that you experience when you try to access files and folders may be related to permissions. Permissions are rules that determine whether you can access or change files and folders. To check permissions on a file or a folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click Properties.
    • Tap or click the Security tab.
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties
    • Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.
    • Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Important: You must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, May 7, 2019
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, May 7, 2019
  4. Permission to open and edit files

"Photo Gallery can't open this photo because you do not have permission to access the file location."

Hello Robin,

We regret the inconvenience. let me assist you.

I suggest you to open Advanced User Accounts Control Panel to check if the user account you are referring to has administrative rights.

Follow the below steps.

• Press the Windows key and R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Enter netplwiz. The following window lists all the existing user accounts along with the designated privileges.

You can make changes to the user accounts (including editing permissions).

Note: You will need to have admin permissions to perform editing of user profiles.

Also suggest you to go through the article and follow the steps given. Here is the link for your reference.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

(Steps relevant for Windows 8 also applies to Windows 10)

Kindly keep us posted on the status of the issue, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Permission to open and edit files

1. Permission to open and edit files - Similar Threads - Permission open edit

2. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't edit exe file permissions: So I wanted to add Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate bought from Xbox app to Steam, I located the MK11.exe file and tried adding it and got a popup message telling I don't have rights. So, I logged in to Built-In administrator account and tried editing permissions from there, but i...
  3. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't edit exe file permissions: So I wanted to add Mortal Kombat 11: Ultimate bought from Xbox app to Steam, I located the MK11.exe file and tried adding it and got a popup message telling I don't have rights. So, I logged in to Built-In administrator account and tried editing permissions from there, but i...
  4. Can't edit exe file permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. you don't have permission to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you don't have permission to open this file: I am the only person using all my devices, including my PC Win10 64 bit, camera, SD card etc. I took some MOV files on a camera SD card, then tried to open them this morning from the SC card on the PC. The PC successfully played the MOV files with Media Player, but I want to...
  6. permission to open files

permission to open files: after upgrading from win 7 to win 10, i hardly open other logical hard disks and ahh folders or files on them are locked and it says you have not permission to open this file....
  7. "You do not have permission to open this file."

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "You do not have permission to open this file.": How can i fix this error? I have admin, i tried takeown /f, and it still won't let me open it submitted by /u/Jakepuff6523 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ec1djk/you_do_not_have_permission_to_open_this_file/
  8. Bulk file permissions edit + MP3 files wouldn't play

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bulk file permissions edit + MP3 files wouldn't play: I ran into an issue and discovered why I was unable to play my MP3 files. I kept looking online for solutions and they all led me to believe the files were corrupt. But they all had a true file size. When the tools kept throwing errors that they couldn't read the file, it...
  9. How to Open and Edit .wlmp files?

How to Open and Edit .wlmp files?: I have some video projects I had saved as .wlmp files in Windows Movie Maker. However, now that I have upgraded to Windows 10, I no longer have Windows Movie Maker, and it seems I cannot download it. Is there another program I can use to open my .wlmp files and edit them,...
  10. File is open in system / locked for editing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File is open in system / locked for editing: I'm sorry if this is not categorized correctly as there were several ways I could think of to categorize it give him the drop-down options asking this question :-). I have a simple home style network setup with Windows 10 running on the machine that is sharing the drive....