Windows 10: Permission to rename internal drives?

Discus and support Permission to rename internal drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chinagreenelvis, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Permission to rename internal drives?

I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu).

Now, when I try to rename any of my internal drives, I'm prompted for administrator privileges. My account is still an admin account, and I have UAC turned off, just as before.

:)

chinagreenelvis, Jan 15, 2020

2. Permission to rename internal drives?

I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu).

Now, when I try to rename any of my internal drives, I'm prompted for administrator privileges. My account is still an admin account, and I have UAC turned off, just as before.

chinagreenelvis, Jan 15, 2020
  3. nate_995 Win User
    unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, Jan 15, 2020
  4. jdmdriv3n Win User

Permission to rename internal drives?

Change permission to internal hard drive and now cannot access it.

Windows 10

I changed the permission to a second internal hard drive. My exact steps:

1. right click hard drive

2. properties

3. security tab

4. Selected Users from the "group or user names:"

5. Selected deny for "read and execute", "list folder contents", and "read" under "permissions for users"

6. clicked ok

Now I do not have access to the hard drive as administrator or the guest account.

When checking the security properties in an effort to change my mistakes, I see the following.

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object"

clicking advance says

"you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. click continue to attempt the operations with administrative permissions"

clicking continue says

"you do not have permission to view this objects security properties, even as an administrative user. To try to take ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click change above"

I don't want to cause anymore damage, if anyone can help me, it would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

jdmdriv3n, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Permission to rename internal drives?

1. Permission to rename internal drives? - Similar Threads - Permission rename internal

2. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive: I'm getting this error whenever I try to rename USB Flash Drive. This started happening after I upgraded Windows to 11 Pro. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive.Click Continue to complete this operation.Does anyone know how to...
  3. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive: I'm getting this error whenever I try to rename USB Flash Drive. This started happening after I upgraded Windows to 11 Pro. Windows 11 - You will need to provide administrator permission to rename this drive.Click Continue to complete this operation.Does anyone know how to...
  4. combining internal drives

combining internal drives: I have searched far and wide trying to find a way to utilize my secondary ssd i just installed. How can I make windows utilize the space just the same as it would with the c: drive without manually saving files to it. thanks...
  5. Need to confirm admin permission with every file I move from internal drive to drive...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to confirm admin permission with every file I move from internal drive to drive...: I already searched this sub for a possible answer but can't really find anything ‍♂️ Isbitbeasy to change this without messing up any security protocols or sm? (Noob alert here) Thanks y'all! submitted by /u/boi_social [link] [comments]...
  6. Permission to rename internal drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission to rename internal drives?: I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu). Now, when I try to rename any of my internal...
  7. Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  8. Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file

Needs Permission as Adm to delete and rename file: Trying delete file/rename it,but saying needs permission from Adm,in which I am. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/needs-permission-as-adm-to-delete-and-rename-file/81f1254e-06ef-4ef7-b6e2-a05586871aec
  9. Recommended ntfs permissions for (internal) _data_ drive?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Recommended ntfs permissions for (internal) _data_ drive?: I've installed win 10 on my new SSD, c: I had a drive in my old computer that has all my data, now d: I changed the location of my documents/videos/pictures/music/etc to point to the appropriate d:/users/user/directory/ but immediately had permissions problems. I'm...
  10. Renaming a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Renaming a drive: Hi. Still learning Win 10 ways! I have installed a WD My Book backup drive, and Win 10 gave it the designation of my "G" drive. How do I change from "G" to a different unused letter? Thanks for your help. 28654