Windows 10: Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key

Discus and support Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I recently upgraded my motherboard/cpu/and ram. Originally, my Windows 10 installation was a free upgrade from a Windows 7 installation that I'd had.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by chinagreenelvis, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key

I recently upgraded my motherboard/cpu/and ram. Originally, my Windows 10 installation was a free upgrade from a Windows 7 installation that I'd had. Swapping to new parts invalidated my activation, and I was forced to purchase a new key.

After re-activating Windows, I've started to notice that I have permissions problems across the board, and constantly have to provide myself with authority to do simple things, like renaming internal hard drives.

I do a lot of coding in AutoHotKey, and as part of automation, I have scrips that startup/shutdown various programs. I've noticed that I now have to run those scrips in Administrator Mode for them to work; otherwise, when attempting to shut a program down, they'll fail and the program will just keep running. This is how I know for certain that something in my system or profile has changed.

I tried creating a new admin profile on the system only to be faced with the same problem.

Any thoughts on how I can correct this and return to having a normal level of administrative access to my machine would be greatly appreciated. I really do not want to reinstall the OS.

:)

chinagreenelvis, Jan 16, 2020
  2. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    "You'll need to provide admin permission to..." - Problem/Need Help

Welcome to TenForums @orbatron

The permissions of that drive are associated with accounts that existed in the old Windows 7 system, but don't exist in your Windows 10. Taking ownership of the files, folders, or even the whole drive should give you access.

Fortunately TenForums has plenty of step-by-step tutorials, Option Four in this tutorial is probably the easiest method to try.

Change Owner of File, Folder, Drive, or Registry Key in Windows 10

4. Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key

Windows 10 Permissions Issues

Hooray!!!! Thanks so much, you are a superstar. Issue resolved.

I thought the fact that "Administrators" were listed in the permissions meant that all Admins had access, but apparently not. Now I added my specific login account, it works fine.

Thanks so much for your help, these UAC things in Windows are quite confusing, I am not (entirely) stupid!!

glastolover, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key

1. Permissions/Admin problems after changing Windows Key - Similar Threads - Permissions Admin problems

2. Admin and Permissions Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Admin and Permissions Problems: Hi, I am having some permission problems. I am the sole user of the computer and should be the sole admin. When I run into permission problems it seems as though the user has been duplicated, leaving one as the admin and the other as non-admin see image 1. Under user...
  3. Admin and Permissions Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin and Permissions Problems: Hi, I am having some permission problems. I am the sole user of the computer and should be the sole admin. When I run into permission problems it seems as though the user has been duplicated, leaving one as the admin and the other as non-admin see image 1. Under user...
  4. Problems with windows 10 after changing files permissions.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problems with windows 10 after changing files permissions.: Hi guys!Sorry for my bad English :Yesterday I wanted to play Sea of Thieves through xbox store with friends, but unfortunately my setup process has been terminated. At this morning I tried to continue downloading, but neither xbox nor microsoft store doesnt continue...
  5. Windows Admin no permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Admin no permission: Hello everyone,I have a question that I couldn't find the answer anywhere.memory integrity can't be activated due to incompatible drivers -> found the 2 sys files / drivers in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepositoryBut no matter what I do, I have no permissions to...
  6. Windows Admin no permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Admin no permission: Hello everyone,I have a question that I couldn't find the answer anywhere.memory integrity can't be activated due to incompatible drivers -> found the 2 sys files / drivers in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepositoryBut no matter what I do, I have no permissions to...
  7. Many permission and admin problems after restarting my pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Many permission and admin problems after restarting my pc.: So I have a Hp Omen 15, and I went to the "Omen Gaming Hub" to switch my graphics mode from "Discrete" to "Hybrid." This required a restart so I restarted. I open chrome, discord, and task manager like I always do after a restart. Chrome and discord open like so, but task...
  8. Admin permissions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin permissions: So, in the printers permission dialog box I somehow checked that no one has permission to control a printer. I cannot remove printer to start over again and reset permissions. Is there any work around as an admin to personal computer to correct this. I removed all instance...
  9. Admin Permissions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin Permissions: I am the sole user of my laptop. I am the administrator, as well. I'm trying to move some music files from 1 USB flash drive to another. I keep getting a message stating I will need to provide administrative permissions to copy this file. When I continue I'm then required...
  10. Unable to Change Permissions Locked out of Admin Permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Change Permissions Locked out of Admin Permissions: Hi, So my problem is on the windows C: properties I'm locked out of editing permissions. The permissions I have ticked our Read & execute List Folder contents Read All other permissions are un ticked. All the solutions I've seen have said just click Edit to change...