Windows 10: Permissions and Attributes

Discus and support Permissions and Attributes in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello friends at TF, Lately I've been having trouble with apps not opening or being able to save files due to permissions and file attributes. If... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pav1, Jan 6, 2020.

1. pav1 Win User

Permissions and Attributes

Hello friends at TF,

Lately I've been having trouble with apps not opening or being able to save files due to permissions and file attributes. If anyone can point me to the best way to set permissions and remove all the read-only attributes, I'd appreciate it.

Craig

:)

pav1, Jan 6, 2020

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jan 6, 2020
  3. How to Customize File Sharing Permissions to Create/Modify/Delete FILES... but not FOLDERS?

Hello. I need to customize a shared folder on my network so that one user (Reba) can create, append, modify, delete all FILES within that folder and subfolders... but Reba should not be able to create or delete the FOLDERS.

I've tested various configurations, and the closest I've been able to come is to create
    TWO sets of Advanced permissions for Reba:

1. The first instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "This folders and subfolders,"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Create folders / append data
    • Delete
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

2. The second instance of Reba, is ALLOWED, applied to "Files Only:"

• Traverse folder / execute file
    • List folder / read data
    • Read attributes
    • Read extended attributes
    • Create files / write data
    • Create folders / append data
    • Write attributes
    • Write extended attributes
    • Delete subfolders and files
    • Delete
    • Read permissions
    But Reba is DENIED permissions of:

• Full control
    • Change permissions
    • Take ownership

The above configuration does deny Reba the ability to create folders/subfolders... but ALLOWs her to delete folders (which I do NOT want her to be able to do).

DMGonzalez-Web, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Permissions and Attributes

Change file attribute to 'unhide'

Hello Walt,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the attribute of any file/folder to unhide.

Step A: Show Hidden files

1. Open Windows Explorer(win logo key+E) or My computer.

2. Now click on View on top of the window.
    3. Untick ‘Hidden items’ in the options.

Step B: Change file attribute

1. Once the hidden file is located, right click on the file/folder you want to change the attribute for.

2. Go to ‘properties’, untick the box facing hidden.

3. Now, Click on ‘apply’ and then ‘ok’.

Hope it helps.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Permissions and Attributes

1. Permissions and Attributes - Similar Threads - Permissions Attributes

2. [Windows Update] Permission error and unable to log in to built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Windows Update] Permission error and unable to log in to built-in Administrator account: So let's get straight to the point, I can't update my Windows. When I opened Windows Update settings, the display displayed `Something went wrong, Try to reopen Settings later.`image1.pngSo of course I was patient and waited, but it's been a week and my update display is...
  3. [Windows Update] Permission error and unable to log in to built-in Administrator account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [Windows Update] Permission error and unable to log in to built-in Administrator account: So let's get straight to the point, I can't update my Windows. When I opened Windows Update settings, the display displayed `Something went wrong, Try to reopen Settings later.`image1.pngSo of course I was patient and waited, but it's been a week and my update display is...
  4. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  5. How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to factory reset including wiping my hard drive completely without admin permissions.: So I don't have admin permissions on my current account and endless there is a way to switch admin permissions from the guest account to my other account without admin then I could do that. Here is a bit of a log from command prompt. Windows 11C:\Users\super>net user User...
  6. Unable to change NTFS permissions regardless of Full Control access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change NTFS permissions regardless of Full Control access: HelloThere's a folder on a server to which I have full control permissions. I need to add new security group to the folder. It should inherit permissions from parent folder, but it doesn't, I receive message " Failed to enumerate... Access denied". I have tried to add the...
  7. when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    when clicking a link in outlook, edge advises the user is not granted permission to sign in: Exactly as it says on the tin! When clicking on any link in Outlook, Edge tries to sign in but advises "The user is not granted permission to sign in" > However when the GPO Setting/Registry setting to sign browser in is enabled, it makes no difference. Edge is the latest...
  8. You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes"

in Windows 10 Customization
    You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes": Why did this happen again? I can't access the files on my external drive. Windows 10 hid them AGAIN! I cannot unhide them. PLEASE help me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-will-need-to-provide-administrator-permission/1269164d-af9f-4974-9b57-09c68943eba4
  9. Permissions and Attributes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permissions and Attributes: Lately I've been having trouble with apps not opening or being able to save files due to permissions and file attributes. If anyone can point me to the best way to set permissions and remove all the read-only attributes, I'd appreciate it. submitted by /u/CarvinAbuser...
  10. Error: You will need to provide administrator permissions to change these attributes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error: You will need to provide administrator permissions to change these attributes: I installed a new larger SSD for Windows 10 and my applications. a few months ago. My data I've always kept on a separate large HD. At install I was not able to access anything on my HD and had to add myself back as administratior for that drive, in the security tab....