Windows 10: Permissions - Basic Questions

Discus and support Permissions - Basic Questions in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; 1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7? 2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dw85745, Dec 1, 2019.

1. dw85745 Win User

Permissions - Basic Questions

1) Has Microsoft changed the names they use for Principal in WIndows 10 versus Windows 7?
    2) The following file (see original and new) -- prior to my messing with editing permissions --
    had a line for "Trusted Installer". After playing with permissions I attempted to put "Trusted Installer" back as Owner. It appeared to succeed but did NOT show in the Principals list.
    (a) Does "Trusted Installer" only exist as a Principal if no one edits permissions?
    (b) Was "Trusted Installer" automatically renamed to SYSTEM?

:)

dw85745, Dec 1, 2019
  2. ryanleeh Win User

Basic Question about User Permissions

Hi Andre, thank you for your reply. I did not apply write permissions but I did apply the three permissions listed in my original post.

ryanleeh, Dec 1, 2019
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 1, 2019
  4. Permissions - Basic Questions

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 1, 2019
Thema:

Permissions - Basic Questions

1. Permissions - Basic Questions - Similar Threads - Permissions Basic Questions

2. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  3. BitLocker Basic Questions (Version 1909)

in Windows 10 Support
    BitLocker Basic Questions (Version 1909): I was wondering if BitLocker has been activated on the C drive and on the D drive (which is my data drive) is there any security reason for having an additional Windows operating system password? i.e. (1) For BitLocker boot entry (C drive) (2) For Windows operating system...
  4. Basic Question about User Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Basic Question about User Permissions: Hello, I am trying to set up a second user on my laptop (Windows 10) for the first time. The idea is to give a colleague access to a single folder and its subfolders, but not its parent folders or any other folders on the machine. I have created a new user and, from the...
  5. New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please): Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is part of the W10 package ?...
  6. A basic question about occassional BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A basic question about occassional BSOD: I can see that BSOD can be a can of worms, and don't want to tangle with it unless necessary (as I have some other issues I am dealing with). I only get BSOD infrequently, usually a few weeks apart, they don't persist, and the machine runs well for a while after the 100%...
  7. Basic questions about DISM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Basic questions about DISM: My wife's laptop has a corruption that sfc /scannow could not fix so I am going to try DISM. But first I have some basic questions. (And please forgive any incorrect terminology in the questions.) Last Sept I used the MCT to build a USB flash memory with Win10 AU. I read...
  8. Some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some basic questions: At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to. 1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS...
  9. A Basic HDD Replacement Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A Basic HDD Replacement Question: We have an HP All-In-One unit that originally came with Windows 8.1 about a 18 months ago. We upgraded to Windows 10 in September and it's been running great unit a few days ago when we got the following boot message: 1720 - SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure...
  10. Basic Installation Questions--First Post

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Basic Installation Questions--First Post: Just downloaded 10130 (x86) .iso and have a couple of questions. I burned it to a DVD (using ImgBurn—which deleted the file when the burn was completed. Just a suggestion to make a copy before burning.) I will be doing a clean install on an unused XP computer into which I...