Windows 10: Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels

Discus and support Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a problem I can’t find an answer to. We have a Server 2016 acting as the main server in a little network with a few users. The server host the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ole_Berg, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Ole_Berg Win User

Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels

I have a problem I can’t find an answer to. We have a Server 2016 acting as the main server in a little network with a few users. The server host the domain controller, file server, IIS etc and is intended to also act as VPN server. We have set up remote access so that we can access the filesystem through a VPN tunnel. Those logging in through the VPN tunnel are both users from machines that has joined our domain and users from machines not joined the domain. All the users have accounts on the server and the necessary privileges to access shares in the domain.

We do experience that in the case of logging in from non-domain machines through a valid user they do not get access to the shares. If the same user loges in from a domain joined machine, they does not get the necessary access to the shares. We do not want to open up to guests but have a strict control on who is granted read/write/execute access. We want to allow access to non-domain computers where the user loges in through a user that is authorized at the domain controller.

Can anyone give me some tip on how to achieve this or point me in a direction where I can find relevant information.

:)

Ole_Berg, Sep 4, 2019
  2. ryley2637 Win User

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall off I CAN ping and access shares. It was working fine yesterday and I don't remember doing anything to cause this. I've tracked it down to being something with my Public networks. When I disable the firewall on public networks (the VPN adapter) I can ping, but once I enable that it stops pinging. I've tried everything listed below but still can't get it to work:

• Checked port 1723 is open
    • Allowed EVERYTHING with a firewall rule, through it
    • Checked multiple devices on another Wi-Fi network and 3G with a phone
    • Restarted PC; other devices and router
    • I can ping every other device on my network besides the one creating the VPN (which is the one I need)
    • and so many other steps.
    • Made sure file and printer sharing were enabled in network and sharing center

Is there some other rule that got removed from the firewall I need to re-add? Any help or tips would be appreciated!

ryley2637, Sep 4, 2019
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels

1. Permissions concerning accessing shares through VPN channels - Similar Threads - Permissions concerning accessing

2. folder sharing through vpn

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder sharing through vpn: I'm always connecting to a specific VPN. Will the folders I have shared be shared automatically with other users connected to that VPN?I'm worried about personal folders that I have already shared to access them with my other devices through Wi-Fi....
  3. Sharing permission

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing permission: Hi all So for Onedrive, the company I work for have made the decision to turn off the share to all share settings. We have an HR admin who wants to share resources with perspective clients via a link in an email that takes them to a folder/files about the company. I thought...
  4. VPN connects but can't access shared folders

VPN connects but can't access shared folders: About a month ago I came into work and one of our engineers said he wasn't able to access the shared folders from home using his VPN anymore. I logged onto the VPN and everything worked as it should, but then 1 week later I wasn't able to access the shared folders. Now my...
  5. VPN Sharing

VPN Sharing: I have setup VPN Sharing on a Win 10 machine by sharing the main Internet connection with a 2nd Network Card, the connection is working but the speed through the 2nd card is only around 1/4 of the main connection, anyone have any suggestions, I am through Private Internet...
  6. Can't access microsoft store through a vpn

Can't access microsoft store through a vpn: I have to turn off my VPN to access microsoft store. What gives? this should not be required as I have a common provider and most websites allow access. Is there a way to make it work? If not, I'd like Microsoft devs to have the feedback and I'd also like a brief...
  7. No Internet access after sharing HotSpot VPN connection

No Internet access after sharing HotSpot VPN connection: Hi, I have an strange problem. I can connect HotSpot VPN connection successfully but there is no any Internet on mobile device from my laptop. I have Windows 10 Home (Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134). It was working few days ago, but suddenly it has stopped working without...
  8. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...
  9. Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN

Can't Ping VPN Server or Access Shares While Using VPN: I've been dealing with this issue for hours now and have tried everything I can think of. I have a Windows 10 Home PC that I have an incoming VPN connection on. I can connect to it, but if the firewall is enabled, I can't ping it or access the shares. If I turn the firewall...
  10. Sharing permissions and access from another PC

Sharing permissions and access from another PC: Hi all, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple but so far I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out and have all but given up and was hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice? I currently have three PCs (Two Win10s and a Win7) on a...