Windows 10: Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop

Discus and support Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Logged in on same Microsoft account on my desktop and laptop. Completely unable to open any files I try to bring to my laptop via the external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ary1l, Apr 12, 2020.

1. /u/ary1l Win User

Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop

Logged in on same Microsoft account on my desktop and laptop.

Completely unable to open any files I try to bring to my laptop via the external hard drive. I have tried changing permissions, reformatting the HD, reinstalling windows and etc .

I want to be able to use my external hard drive normally. Why is this such an issue?

submitted by /u/ary1l
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ary1l, Apr 12, 2020

2. Win 10 System Image on an external, brand new HD is hanging at approx. 22-25% for ever!

Who can help me, please?

Win 10 System Image on an external, brand new HD is hanging at approx. 22-25% for ever!

• Notebook HP Pavilion dv6-6012ez (4-5Years old).

• Bevor Win 7.

• Change to Win 10.

• Everything does functioning good and stable, but ….

• I can’t produce a System Image on an external, brand new HD (500GB).

• It keeps continuous hanging at approx. 22-25% for ever.

• To get rid of it, I have to cancel the process.

• After scanning the build in HD C:\ there is no error at all !!!

• So, what goes wrong, what ca I do?

I would appreciate any qualified help.

Thanks - Rolf

RolfGeiger, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Debs-1035 Win User
    New laptop and older external hard drive

The laptop doesn't easily "see" the drive.. when I am in Devices and Printers... the icon for the ext HD will appear for just a few seconds.. if I rightclick on it quickly, it'll show the popup for hardware but doesn't have the info for it... does correctly
    refer to it as "USB 2.0 CD + HDD".

I tried your list of steps, but , the HD does NOT ever show in the Disk Management list.

I do have an older Dell that I need to see if it will recognize the HD. I'll try that next.

THANKS for taking the time to list those steps...

Debs-1035, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop

External HD Connection Problem

I have attached an external HD to my computer running Windows 10 and it will not show up in my drive list. The properties shows it as Seagate.ink - what is an ink file and any suggestions as to how I can get it to work?

ColleenTreacy, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop

1. Permissions error with external HD and brand new laptop - Similar Threads - Permissions error external

2. Brand new Surface Laptop running 11 not recognizing external montiors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brand new Surface Laptop running 11 not recognizing external montiors: External monitor hardwire worked fine yesterday. Come today, Surface Laptop won't recognize any external monitors. This Lenovo external monitor continues to work perfectly with Mac laptop. Tried to force detection in settings and does not detect. Uninstalled and reinstalled...
  3. Brand new Surface Laptop running 11 not recognizing external montiors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Brand new Surface Laptop running 11 not recognizing external montiors: External monitor hardwire worked fine yesterday. Come today, Surface Laptop won't recognize any external monitors. This Lenovo external monitor continues to work perfectly with Mac laptop. Tried to force detection in settings and does not detect. Uninstalled and reinstalled...
  4. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  5. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HD with locked files/permissions: Hey guys, how are you? I recently formatted my computer and I'm having a problem with an External HD that has a lot of my personal files photos, videos, etc. After formatting the computer I kept it on Windows 10 and properly installing all the drivers, for some reason all the...
  6. External HD with locked files/permissions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WANT TO REPLACE LAPTOP HD WITH A BRAND NEW CLEAN SSD: I have a Dell Inspiron 15-5000 series which has a hard drive that I am sure has some conflict issues with the OS. A recent major update did not fix it. My data is sacrosanct and don't want to lose it. Therefore I will copy that over to a safe storage. Apps can be reinstalled,...
  8. Brand New laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand New laptop: After loading MS office 365 and down loading updates. I restarted my lap top as required and now all it states is "PREPAREING AUTOMATIC REPAIR." Tis is a brand NEW LAPTOP, ??? What is up with this ....
  9. Daily BSODs, brand new HD and windows 10

Daily BSODs, brand new HD and windows 10: Hi, I recently got a new HD and have a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. It's less than a week old. I get a BSOD about once a day. They all appear to be caused by ntoskrnl.exe. Googling suggests that this is usually caused by bad RAM. I've run memtest86, and all 4 of the...
  10. BSOD on brand-new laptop

BSOD on brand-new laptop: Hi all, I have recently bought new laptop (Dell Vostro 5468). I did clean install of Windows 10 and installed additional harddrive. Today I have experienced a BSOD. I had many programs running when a blue screen appeared. I had a look at logs and what is bugging me is this...