Windows 10: Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

Discus and support Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This topic was locked, so I'm resurrecting this one. Originally posted August 2016. Issue still exists. Post updated to reflect this. I'm a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flapjack 55, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

This topic was locked, so I'm resurrecting this one.

Originally posted August 2016. Issue still exists. Post updated to reflect this.

I'm a technician, and I was doing some work on a PC that required removing the HD to access files in the user profile folders in another computer. Note that I do not recall what version of Windows the source PC had, but I suspect it was WIndows 10.

So I powered down the PC, removed the HD, plugged it in to a USB adapter, and connected that to the destination PC on Windows 10. I navigated to [Driveletter]:/Users/username and had the standard message that I do not have permission to access this folder, click continue to permanently get access to this folder.

So I did. And waited for the green bar to progress along the top, then browsed the folder, copied files out, did what I needed to do.

Then I reintroduced the HD to its original PC and booted up, and things went horribly wrong. Booted to what looked like a temp profile, so I had to change permissions back before I could log back in.

Now, this was a few weeks ago, and I did wonder if I had made an error, taken ownership instead of just having Windows add permissions for me.

But it happened again on another computer a few weeks later (still Aug 2016) and a few computers since.

(Update Jan 19) Why would adding a new permission on a folder damage permissions for the original user in the original tower. I suspect that the required triggers for the issue is; copying from Windows 10 to Windows 10 and copying using a username on the destination computer the same as on the source computer (gut instiunct, not sure if experience will prove true).

So this post is advice and question: be wary of plugging a HD into another computer and browsing to root:/Users/Username/ and, has anyone else experienced this and found a way to avoid this compound-fail.

:)

flapjack 55, Jan 22, 2019

2. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

I want to avoid recreating the fault as fixing it gives me more work :/ but it does seem to be new to Windows 10. I think it depends on the source computer being 10 and it's just coincidence that the destination is 10 too.

Note that I have never explicitly taken ownership of a folder, but only clicked continue when prompted: click continue to permanently get permission to access the folder.

And there has never been an instance where I have clicked continue to the above prompt, and had system errors when returning the HD to the source computer before these three I have encountered recently.

If (when) it happens again, I will make plenty of notes and update here.

3. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

I'm a technician, and I was doing some work on a PC that required removing the HD to access files in the user profile folders in another computer. Note that I do not recall what version of Windows the PC had, but I suspect it was WIndows 10.

So I powered down the PC, removed the HD, plugged it in to a USB adapter, and connected that to another PC (which we will call the destination PC) which was on Windows 10. I navigated to [Driveletter]:/Users/username and had the standard message that I
    do not have permission to access this folder, click continue to permanently get access to this folder.

So I did. And waited for the green bar to progress along the top, then browsed the folder, copied files out, did what I needed to do.

Then I reintroduced the HD to its original PC and booted up, and things went horribly wrong. Booted to what looked like a temp profile, so I had to change permissions back.

Now, this was a few weeks ago, and I did wonder if I had made an error, taken ownership instead of just having Windows add permissions for me.

But it happened again on another computer. In this instance, I had just removed some ransomware and was using another computer to access the HD and attempt to access original unencrypted files by volume shadow or an undelete procedure (unsuccessful).

Again, when I reintroduced the HD to the original computer, I had permissions errors again, booted to a temporary profile. When I rebooted, the profile recovered but the start-menu was cabbaged. I succeeded in recovering the system by using the upgrade
    to Windows Anniversary (from version 1511) to replace Windows files, and was pleased to see that it worked, the start menu worked again.

But why (oh why, oh why) would adding a new permission on a folder damage permissions for the original user in the original tower.

So this post is advice and question: be wary of plugging a HD into another computer and browsing to root:/Users/Username/ and has anyone else experienced this, and found a way to avoid this compound-fail.

4. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

Unable to view transferred files on the computer due to file permission issue on Windows 10.

Hi Andrea,

Please reply to a few questions asked below to understand the issue better:

• Which photo viewing application are you using on the computer?
    • Did you check if you are able to view the pictures using other photo viewing application?

If haven’t tried, check if you are able to view the pictures using other photo viewing applications on the computer. If you are facing similar issue and able to access the old computer, check if you are able to view the picture files on connecting
    the external device.

If you are able to access pictures in the old computer, give Full Control permissions to the folder by following the steps suggested in the above post, copy the same to an external drive and transfer onto the new computer and check
    if the issue is resolved.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of not able to view photo files on the computer
    for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

1. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer. - Similar Threads - Permissions fault viewing

2. How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?: I would like to copy the PC-group Permissions to another PC. Windows platform. Exemple: I would like to copy the Group-Permission from Laptop/PC A to the new one B . Exist any script to from from a machine to another? Thanks!...
  3. How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?: I would like to copy the PC-group Permissions to another PC. Windows platform. Exemple: I would like to copy the Group-Permission from Laptop/PC A to the new one B . Exist any script to from from a machine to another? Thanks!...
  4. Permission needed to view photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission needed to view photos: Anytime I try to open a photo from files, it says "Class not registered", and anytime I try to view a photo in the Photos app, it says I don't have permission to view it even though it is my photo. I've tried giving the file Full Permissions, I've tried doing a clean boot,...
  5. Computer faults

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer faults: Ever since my computer started the change to windows 11 it has developed a few problems that i need help with.First i cannot gain access to my settings as it won't open.Second i have always used MSN as my homepage which i liked, now i get Yahoo which i don't.Third my printer...
  6. Permissions broken and profile damaged when HD read through another computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Permissions broken and profile damaged when HD read through another computer: This topic was locked, so I'm resurrecting. Originally posted August 2016. Issue still exists. Posted Jan '19 when recurred for me. Issue still exists in Dec 2020. I'm a technician, and I was doing some work on a PC that required removing the HD to access files in the...
  7. No Permission to View Files

No Permission to View Files: I have transferred files from my old windows 10 desktop to a flash drive for storage. jpg, word, excel, png, etc. I have gotten rid of that old desktop and am trying to open the files on my new windows 10 laptop. When I double click to open the file, it will give me an empty...
  8. Administrative permission to another computer on my network

Administrative permission to another computer on my network: How do I give administrative permission to another computer on my network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrative-permission-to-another-computer-on/63e201b5-17e5-46a7-8073-c8c1b2f15927
  9. Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission: Yet another update, during unplanned hours, making computer unusable for LONG periods of time. And this after I had just tried the neat new feature to DELAY updates, AND set the hours when to install updates. People actually use their computers to get work done. Thank God...
  10. permission to access files on another network computer

permission to access files on another network computer: How do I get permission to access files on another network computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-access-files-on-another-network/e5166044-cbc5-4c16-9955-4a8100372113