Windows 10: permissions, inheritances

Discus and support permissions, inheritances in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After transferring all files and programs from my old damaged laptop to my new laptop (both Win 10) I find I cannot access many older files. "You do... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jjwilson56, Jul 11, 2018.

1. permissions, inheritances

After transferring all files and programs from my old damaged laptop to my new laptop (both Win 10) I find I cannot access many older files. "You do not have permission". How can I disable all permissions so I can straighten this out?

:)

jjwilson56, Jul 11, 2018

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Jul 11, 2018
  3. homer_3 Win User
    How to disable inherited permissions on a folder by default?

When I create a folder "foo" under the C: drive, I then run

icacls "C:\foo" /inheritance:d

to remove permission inheritance on it. But if I create a folder under foo like C:\foo\bar, bar still gets the inherited permissions Users added to it and it can't be removed without 1st running icacls /inheritance:d on it as well. Is there some way to disable
    the inherited permissions by default instead of having to run this command all the time?

homer_3, Jul 11, 2018
  4. Riel Alc Win User

permissions, inheritances

How to turn off inheriting permissions for windows 10

Hi Shirley,

Please check Sharief K's post from this
    link to enable or disable inherited permissions for files and folder in Windows.

Note: You must be an administrator to manage the permission. The link provided will also apply to Windows 10.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Riel Alc, Jul 11, 2018
Thema:

permissions, inheritances

1. permissions, inheritances - Similar Threads - permissions inheritances

2. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”: Hi all,I am trying to follow this advice:Incase of any issues with file or folder permission then, you can fix this using these steps:Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located such as Documents, Pictures, etc..Go to the Security tab and...
  3. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”: Hi all,I am trying to follow this advice:Incase of any issues with file or folder permission then, you can fix this using these steps:Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located such as Documents, Pictures, etc..Go to the Security tab and...
  4. Cannot “Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I cant seem to get my new permission to inherited from the original folder. How do I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant seem to get my new permission to inherited from the original folder. How do I fix this?: So I am struggling withoin the photos app because it keeps telling me I do not have permissions. I followed the sugesttions in the community but the Everyone permissions is not inheriting anything so I keep getting the same error message with in the photo app and am unable to...
  6. I cant seem to get my new permission to inherited from the original folder. How do I fix this?

I cant seem to get my new permission to inherited from the original folder. How do I fix this?: So I am struggling withoin the photos app because it keeps telling me I do not have permissions. I followed the sugesttions in the community but the Everyone permissions is not inheriting anything so I keep getting the same error message with in the photo app and am unable to...
  7. Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...: Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019 Standard ServerWhile copying file from 1 folder to another folder permission was not applied as per group policy. Do we have any option for preventive or corrective action.We have tried...
  8. Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...

Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019...: Inherited permissions are not automatically updated when you move folders in Windows 2019 Standard ServerWhile copying file from 1 folder to another folder permission was not applied as per group policy. Do we have any option for preventive or corrective action.We have tried...
  9. How to I disable inheriting permission and delete Principal out of my computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to I disable inheriting permission and delete Principal out of my computer: Today I was having trouble with installing Microsoft Teams so I decided to contract Microsoft and I got helped by someone named Edlinson and he said the I need to load some applications so he can help me with so I downloaded the app Microsoft support and he assisted me but he...
  10. Account Unknown s-1-5-21. Cannot delete because it has inherited permissions from parent.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Account Unknown s-1-5-21. Cannot delete because it has inherited permissions from parent.: I just deleted one of my old unused accounts and when I go to properities of an app, it shows that there is a unknown user. Does that delete have anything to do with this? Please help...