Windows 10: Permissions issue when trying to change file properties

Discus and support Permissions issue when trying to change file properties in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi all - Problem Description: I have a number of media files from ripping/converting my DVDs to a drive that I use for streaming. Some of the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by dasquared, Apr 8, 2018.

1. dasquared Win User

Permissions issue when trying to change file properties

Hi all -

Problem Description:
    I have a number of media files from ripping/converting my DVDs to a drive that I use for streaming.
    Some of the older files I have have data in them in properties (Right click file, left click Properties, Details Tab) that for whatever reason display the title listed there instead of what I have named the file when searching from another device on my network.(For instance, "Kong Skull Island", the file name displayed on my PC, to other devices displays "KONG_SKULL_ISLAND.theatrical" - as it shows in the title section on the details tab found as above). When I click on "Remove Properties and Personal Information", whether I try to remove just the title or all of the information, I first get the message "You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this file". I have the options of Continue, Skip, Cancel. Cancel will obviously not accomplish anything. Skip gets a similar result - nothing. Continue then generates the message "You need permission to perform this action. You require permission form <User> to make changes to this file." With options to then cancel or try again.

Other information:
    Running Windows 10 Pro, Build 10.0.16299.
    I am only User on this PC, and I have full permissions, admin, etc (as far as I know).
    I am listed in the same "Details" tab as the Owner of this file.
    I no longer have this DVD or a few others, so simply trying to rip again is out.
    I have moved, renamed, rebooted, etc and a number of other things from another forum without avail (I recently came here from another forum and got my first issue solved (thank you), so going back to this older one here now with high hopes - no pressure *Wink )

Fire away!

:)

dasquared, Apr 8, 2018
  2. JLastar Win User

I cant read or change the hosts file

I'm totally unable to edit the hosts file. I have permissions to do everything but when I try and do anything with the hosts file I get an error.

When I go to hosts and try and change the current I get the following error. You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as and administrative user. To try taking ownershiop of the object, which includes permission to view
    properties, click change above.

When I do that I'm back to the same screen.

JLastar, Apr 8, 2018
  3. Zilas H. Win User
    Permission change lead to closing of all windows apps

I have changed the ownership back to "TrustedInstaller", but I still don't know the normal permissions, for the individual user groups.

Also when I try to change the permissions, I get an error.

Edit:

I have now changed back all of the permissions, in the folder properties. Unfortunately, I still have the problem.

Zilas H., Apr 8, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

On General tab->Will display what ever the file name of the Video
    On Details tab->Will display the Meta Data of the file, buried inside the Video.

Click on the Security tab->Edit the list & add "Everyone" to the list with full permission to see if you can change the Meta Data.

To view the Meta Info of avideo/audio file. Download: MediaInfo
    Unzip and run, drag and drop the file then you'll get all meta data ie. Movie Name, codec, size etc...

topgundcp, Apr 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Permissions issue when trying to change file properties - Similar Threads - Permissions issue trying

2. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  3. Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error messages when trying to change admin permissions.: Windows 11, desktop PC. Just purchased PC. Tried using an external plug-in dvd drive. I inserted the software disk into the drive and the setup.exe file would not auto-run. Received the following error message:"An administrator has blocked you from running this application....
  4. what are special permissions in properties?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what are special permissions in properties?: What are special properties in permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-special-permissions-in-properties/480a42e2-c445-4ff9-9777-b2104b6a0117
  5. what are special permissions in properties?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what are special permissions in properties?: What are special properties in permissions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-special-permissions-in-properties/480a42e2-c445-4ff9-9777-b2104b6a0117
  6. Permission issues when trying to install drivers on certain computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Permission issues when trying to install drivers on certain computer: I have inherited a network at my new job and have run in to some weird issues as I try and get it all figured out. One issue I am fighting right now is when I try and install drivers/plug-in for a signature pad on one computer. I keep getting a Feature transfer error with the...
  7. Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine

Permissions Issue when Saving Files Permissions are fine: Good MorningI have a PC specific issue which is doing my head in! Was wondering if anyone is able to help.The symptoms:Saving any file to the local PC is fineSaving any file to a network share on multiple file servers brings up an error message: \\path to network shareYou...
  8. changing file properties

changing file properties: how can i change a WEBP file into a JPG file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-file-properties/e67e8077-f13f-4910-ba58-69ad61363ad8
  9. Permissions problems when trying to access my files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permissions problems when trying to access my files: Hi I recently installed windows 10 on a new laptop and I connected my previous data hard drive to the laptop . I am trying to open files and folders on the previous drive and I getting messages about not having permission to access my files. I just went through the exact...
  10. Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleting/Changing File Permission Issue: [IMG]I recently tried deleting two folder duplicates and found out that I needed permission to delete these folders from TrustedInstaller. I searched up ways to do so, but i got stuck when I encountered the window that mentions ‘Object Name’ and such. I was confused on what...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when trying to change properties on a file to groove music is not showing in pannel