Windows 10: Permissions issue with a User account

Discus and support Permissions issue with a User account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I followed advice on a thread I posted and set up an account for my every day activities on Windows 10. It it just a local account and I used the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by g41851, Mar 12, 2019.

1. g41851 Win User

Permissions issue with a User account

I followed advice on a thread I posted and set up an account for my every day activities on Windows 10. It it just a local account and I used the instructions here.

Everything is working well apart from I can't delete files in my Music folder!

When I try to delete a file it says I need permission from DESKTOP-KH36HHO, which is the computer I'm using. Before I go to delete the folder I enter my admin pin number and it is accepted.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

:)

g41851, Mar 12, 2019
  2. redabbs1 Win User

User Accounts / Permissions Issue

My PC shows only two user accounts, both designated as "Local Account, Administrator, Password Protected". One account (this is my "personal" account) has my name as user. The other account's user name is "Administrator". Neither account has full elevated permissions, which prevents me from managing many things I would like to control.

I understand that an Administrator account with full permissions must be used in order to change a user from "Standard" to "Administrator".

Regardless of how much research I have done and how many instructionsI have found on the Internet, nothing I have tried has worked to locate or create an Administrator with full permissions that would allow me to change my personal account to Administrator.

I am hoping that you can walk me through the steps I need to follow so that I end up with full elevated permissions on my personal account.

Thank you,

redabbs1, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Kol12 Win User

User account permissions need resetting.

I've converted my administrator account to a standard user account and created a new administrator account.

As a standard user I am able to access the admins user folder which I should not be able to do. There must some issues with the permissions somewhere but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting it.
    @fdegrove has already suggested running an acl.bat as detailed here, post #39 Is a standard user account necessary for tight security and home user? - Page 4 - Windows 10 Forums

but it has not fixed my user permissions.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Kol12, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Permissions issue with a User account - Similar Threads - Permissions issue User

2. User Account Control issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Control issue: I used to be asked to authenticate(by password, PIN or Windows Hello) an action requiring admin rights eventhough I was logged in with administrator account but after some change to registry, I am not being asked to authenticate such admin level actions like installing a new...
  3. Windows 10 Account Permission Issues

Windows 10 Account Permission Issues: So I was recently attempting to change my monitor color profile. I tried opening color management and it prompts me with the standard "you may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item". I went to my user accounts and I made sure that I was an administrator...
  4. User account permissions...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User account permissions...: Purchased a new PC - ran the initial setup routines and set myself as (sole) user. Also set with NO password/local account... However, when I right-click-run-as-administrator an exe file or shortcut to run a programme I always recieve a pop-up asking if I want to make...
  5. User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?

User permissions incorrect (corrupted?) for admin account?: I have a machine I have had for a few years and has been working fine. Suddenly a couple days ago Dropbox gave me an error that it couldn't start and said the error was 'usually because of a permissions error'. Since then, Photoshop will not start, saying it doesn't have...
  6. Administrator Permissions and Two Unknown User Accounts?

Administrator Permissions and Two Unknown User Accounts?: I'm the only one who uses my PC with Windows 10. I noticed one day I had 3 user accounts. One named; "defaultuser0", one named; "Public", and one named; "Mike" I never set-up a 'Guest User' account so why did my computer show two accounts other than the one named "Mike" that...
  7. User Accounts / Permissions Issue

User Accounts / Permissions Issue: My PC shows only two user accounts, both designated as "Local Account, Administrator, Password Protected". One account (this is my "personal" account) has my name as user. The other account's user name is "Administrator". Neither account has full elevated permissions, which...
  8. User account and family issues

User account and family issues: This is happening loads on my new laptop. Family settings down and Cortana summary screen just spinning. Is this an MS side issue as the machine is doing this more often than not. Sometimes everything is fine but I just don't understand it really. Yesterday evening everything...
  9. User Account Issue

User Account Issue: Hello, I have lost the use of my user account, i cannot delete, change anything on my laptop, the user account window appears and in the past i had an option to use either YES or NO i only get NO and have to log in as administrator i do not see where to do this, i may have...
  10. User account permissions need resetting.

User account permissions need resetting.: I've converted my administrator account to a standard user account and created a new administrator account. As a standard user I am able to access the admins user folder which I should not be able to do. There must some issues with the permissions somewhere but I'm not...