Windows 10: Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender

Discus and support Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dears, I formatted the C and installed windows 10 instead of windows 7. I left the local disk G as it is, because I will install an antivirus and run... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by FatmaNagya, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender

Dears,

I formatted the C and installed windows 10 instead of windows 7. I left the local disk G as it is, because I will install an antivirus and run a scan anyways. However, when I see the users folder, I read that windows 10 has two folders one with my name say 'zedd' which is ok when I right click to see the properties under security section. However the problem with folder public.

The public folder has accounts of different name other than the authenticated, admin, my name and system which are ok in permissions I guess. The other accounts are called service , BATCH and INTERACTIVE and creator owner. On the main window of security tab, these last 4 accounts are shown to be given special permissions, so what are special permissions?

When I go to the advanced tab I see the creator owner takes full control !! And the other 3; Batch, service and interactive are given special and they appear duplicates. So, why is that? If I changed the permissions or denied the permissions for those 4 , will that affect the files and folders in local disk G by any means? I am asking before I do the scan. And the date of creation of this public folder is 18/3/2019. So, what does this date mean ? Cause I don't recall public sharing on the laptop before windows reinstallation

And why does windows defender show public and guest network comnected and private not connected, is this the default? How can I change that and I am already not opening wifi since installation waiting for the scan in case there is sth with the G disk.

Thanks and waiting

Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender [​IMG]

:)

FatmaNagya, Oct 5, 2020

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Oct 5, 2020
  4. Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender

cannot find public documents folder in Windows 10

Good day,

On Windows Explorer in Windows 7, the 'Public Documents' folder is listed under 'Libraries\Documents'. The 'Public Documents' folder is not listed at all on the Navigation column in Windows 10.

Is there a way to configure in Windows 10 to show Public Documents folder in the navigation column?

Thank you.

ganwilliam, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender

1. Permissions on public folder on windows 10 and public network on windows defender - Similar Threads - Permissions public folder

2. public network !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  3. public network !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  4. public network !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Sharing Public Folders on windows 10

Sharing Public Folders on windows 10: I have asked this before and have not received any replies. I'll try again. I have spent over 6 hours on this issue and have read and tried all the standard file/folder sharing solutions. I have a basic WIRED home network. 3 dell computers, 2 running windows 10 pro and 1...
  6. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  7. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  8. Windows 10 Public Folder Not Seen

Windows 10 Public Folder Not Seen: Upgraded one of my PC's yesterday(7/29) from 7 Home Premium to 10. Now the other two PC"S in my home, both 8.1, cannot see the public folder of the 10 PC. 10 can see the 8.1 just fine. Tried typing to users/public into the explorer address bar and got an 0x80004005 error...
  9. Public network.

Public network.: From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen? How can i back to my home network (network 1) ? 44257
  10. Network defaults to public

Network defaults to public: I have noticed in the last couple of builds the network defaults to public instead of private. I can see that on a tablet but not on a desktop. It is not hard to change the network to private but I wonder how the upgrade will behave on the millions of users who have small...