Windows 10: Permissions on usb drive

Discus and support Permissions on usb drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI all, I'm tired and I've fiddled with installing an executable on a usb flash drive. 1. I've given permissions to "Everyone" to read/write/execute on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brutha analog, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Permissions on usb drive

HI all,
    I'm tired and I've fiddled with installing an executable on a usb flash drive.
    1. I've given permissions to "Everyone" to read/write/execute on this flash drive.
    2. I downloaded the regedit file from Shawn - no go.

I'm on Windows 10, update 1903. The USB is a SANDISK 128GB. I did check the drivers for updates, it's updated.

I'm trying to install A LINUX distro, which is 8gb, so I'm pretty sure the USB will get formatted, but I can't even effin' format the USB.
    I'm admin and I'm slowly dying a grueling death.

Thanks for any help.

:)

brutha analog, Feb 10, 2020

2. USB Drive Access Permission

Let's try a different approach. Since the updating the driver does not work, see if changing the Security settings on one of the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the USB's drive on File Explorer and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Select an Owner/User and click Edit.
    • Check all the options on the Allowed column, select OK and then Apply.

Update us on the result.

Radney Dri, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Permissions on usb drive

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Permissions on usb drive

1. Permissions on usb drive - Similar Threads - Permissions usb drive

2. How to get permission to remove a USB hard drive safely?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get permission to remove a USB hard drive safely?: This problem has recurred in various Windows systems since XP, occasionally solved temporarily and then reoccurring. When I click on the icon in the notification are to safely remove hardware, and select the USB bridge that has a hard drive connected, Windows denies...
  3. Can't bulk edit permissions for a folder on a usb drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't bulk edit permissions for a folder on a usb drive.: In the root folder of a usb drive I can access all the files, but files in a folder on the drive, I can't. I can adjust the security permissions one file at a time properties > security > add an owner but how do I apply that to the whole folder so the files inherit? I've...
  4. Permissions Completely Borked After Using Main Drive in External USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions Completely Borked After Using Main Drive in External USB: Hi everyone. This deals with Windows 10 Pro x64 latest version fully updated. I was going on holiday, and was taking my small laptop. I had a lot of files on my main desktop computer drive where Windows is installed (500gb Western Digital SSD) and chucked it into an external...
  5. Default drive permissions

Default drive permissions: Greetings, Was trying to move some Steam games from C: drive to my D: drive but got the "Failed to add new Steam library folder" issue. So a quick Google search result told me that I have to go to the 'Security' tab on my D: drive and choose which 'User' I was and choose...
  6. C drive Permissions

C drive Permissions: By default all my software and games are installed in C so My Documents/Videos/Pictures are the default save locations for respective software/game. After the latest Windows update, any game I playalready played before starts from the beginning and if i try to save the game...
  7. C drive permissions

C drive permissions: Any software or games I install, I install them in the default location C. if I am playing a game, the save files of the game by default gets saved in documents. Ever since updating windows, any software or game that tries to save something in documents is showing error. As...
  8. HELP - External USB Drive Permissions Preventing File Recovery

in Windows 10 Support
    HELP - External USB Drive Permissions Preventing File Recovery: The situation I have at hand is as follows: My Seagate 2TB External USB Backup + drive (6 months old) overnight became unusable/ accessible, below are the things I have tried to enable read/write capability so I can reformat the drive to then run a file recovery on. The...
  9. Drive access permissions

Drive access permissions: I get the message that I do not have permission to access D/System drive. The message says to go to the permissions security tab but I am unable to locate it. Help required please....
  10. Permission to access the drive.

Permission to access the drive.: Dear Community, I wanted to change the permission status of the drive for a user account, instead, I changed for the administrative account. Just need to reactive the account. Please help me to activate it, as I go for the settings I see a message as below. I don't...