Windows 10: Permissions on usb drive

Discus and support Permissions on usb drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI all, I'm tired and I've fiddled with installing an executable on a usb flash drive. 1. I've given permissions to "Everyone" to read/write/execute on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by brutha analog, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Permissions on usb drive

HI all,
    I'm tired and I've fiddled with installing an executable on a usb flash drive.
    1. I've given permissions to "Everyone" to read/write/execute on this flash drive.
    2. I downloaded the regedit file from Shawn - no go.

I'm on Windows 10, update 1903. The USB is a SANDISK 128GB. I did check the drivers for updates, it's updated.

I'm trying to install A LINUX distro, which is 8gb, so I'm pretty sure the USB will get formatted, but I can't even effin' format the USB.
    I'm admin and I'm slowly dying a grueling death.

Thanks for any help.

:)

brutha analog, Feb 10, 2020

2. USB Drive Access Permission

Let's try a different approach. Since the updating the driver does not work, see if changing the Security settings on one of the USB drive. Follow the steps below:

• Right-click the USB's drive on File Explorer and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Select an Owner/User and click Edit.
    • Check all the options on the Allowed column, select OK and then Apply.

Update us on the result.

Radney Dri, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Feb 10, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Permissions on usb drive

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

Permissions on usb drive

1. Permissions on usb drive - Similar Threads - Permissions usb drive

2. Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Permission Denied on USB Flash Drives after upgrade to Windows 10: We upgraded from Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 Pro. Since the all USB Flash drives are failing with permissions denied. I've tried several things. - I tried updating the Driver using Device Manager for all of the USB Root entries. I even removed all of the USB Root...
  3. Permission to rename internal drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Permission to rename internal drives?: I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu). Now, when I try to rename any of my internal...
  4. Permission to rename internal drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission to rename internal drives?: I don't recall ever being prompted for this before, but I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu and had to get a new Windows key as a result (the old one was generated from a Windows 7 upgrade on the other mobo/cpu). Now, when I try to rename any of my internal...
  5. USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications: We are having trouble getting an application to work on new Win 10 machines. This worked for many years and suddenly won't. It seems like a permissions issue but we have not found a way to add permissions for this device. I'm wondering if there was a recent change blocking...
  6. Permission to access the drive.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Permission to access the drive.: Dear Community, I wanted to change the permission status of the drive for a user account, instead, I changed for the administrative account. Just need to reactive the account. Please help me to activate it, as I go for the settings I see a message as below. I don't...
  7. execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10: everytime i execute an exe file in file explorer or at command prompt in this external hard drive it says permission denied, but when i execute with admin privilege it executes. i do not want this. it is unsafe to execute exe file as admin. i changed owner and full control...
  8. No permission to save to D:\ drive

No permission to save to D:\ drive: I know this question has been asked before, but none of those answers have been able to help me. I have a C:\ drive and a D:\ drive on my computer. For some reason, my computer decided that the much smaller C:\ drive would be the better option to save things to. Now my C:\ is...
  9. Change permissions on external drive

Change permissions on external drive: How do I change Permissions on an external hard drive from someone else's laptop? I've connected a friend's hard drive to my laptop via a SATA/USB cable, but can't get access to Users directories....
  10. Disk allocation and Drive permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk allocation and Drive permissions: Why do I get this error message and how can I resolve it? Error message reads: Unable to create record files for one or more tracks. Check your disk allocation and drive permissions." I have just purchased a Focusrite interface, downloaded the relevant software, but every...