Windows 10: permissions problem on opening a simple text file

Discus and support permissions problem on opening a simple text file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 version 2004. I recently installed 'Lope Edit' (a sophisticated Notepad replacement) but it is unable to open a simple text... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bromberg, Aug 28, 2020.

1. bromberg Win User

permissions problem on opening a simple text file

I am running Windows 10 version 2004.

I recently installed 'Lope Edit' (a sophisticated Notepad replacement) but it is unable to open a simple text (txt) file. I'm sure the software is fine but for whatever reason, Windows is being very cautious as I am sure the file is harmless (I was the one who created it with "hello world").
    Windows insists on checking for permission and interrupts it with a 'permissions' error as shown in this screenshot :

permissions problem on opening a simple text file [​IMG]

I followed the instructions as detailed in this link but still am prevented from opening the file.

Thanks in advance to all who reply,
    Dan

:)

bromberg, Aug 28, 2020

2. Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Aug 28, 2020
  3. What App to use to open a .mht file?

I downloaded the MHTViewer from the Windows Store but it won't open my Windows Steps Recorder files.

I would appreciate very much another suggestion that can view a .mht file that has pictures mixed with text.

EyeInTheSky, Aug 28, 2020
  4. permissions problem on opening a simple text file

No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

permissions problem on opening a simple text file

1. permissions problem on opening a simple text file - Similar Threads - permissions problem opening

2. About read & execute permission for text file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About read & execute permission for text file: When you create a fileetc, create a text file using explorer, it seems read & execute permission is given by default. Why read & execute permission is given by default to a text file ?Can this permission be removed ?...
  3. About read & execute permission for text file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    About read & execute permission for text file: When you create a fileetc, create a text file using explorer, it seems read & execute permission is given by default. Why read & execute permission is given by default to a text file ?Can this permission be removed ?...
  4. About read & execute permission for text file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?

Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?: I put all of my documents onto a USB because I was planning to reset my laptop, since it wasn't running it's best performance. So I reset my computer, and put in the USB with my documents and try to open them. But the files have a golden lock on the top right hand corner of...
  6. Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?: I put all of my documents onto a USB because I was planning to reset my laptop, since it wasn't running it's best performance. So I reset my computer, and put in the USB with my documents and try to open them. But the files have a golden lock on the top right hand corner of...
  7. Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. permission to open files

permission to open files: after upgrading from win 7 to win 10, i hardly open other logical hard disks and ahh folders or files on them are locked and it says you have not permission to open this file....
  9. Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?

Don't have permission to open a file text document, how to solve?: Yesterday I put all of my documents onto a USB because I was planning to reset my laptop, since it wasn't running it's best performance. So I reset my computer, and put in the USB with my documents and try to open them. But the files have a golden lock on the top right hand...
  10. Repair Simple text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Repair Simple text file: Hello and thanks for all the answers. At first I tried to open the text file with Notepad, results were giberish. Then I opened Word and tried to open the file from there, also the same results. But then I right-clicked on the file and in the sub menu there was an Open at...