Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

Discus and support "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mendopaul, Oct 20, 2015.

1. mendopaul Win User

"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can think of to networking and sharing screens and to firewall screens. The machines can see each other in File Explorer but "access denied" on transferring anything but vanilla homegroup folders. Anybody got some insights on "permissions" to share? I sure need help. Many thanks!

:)

mendopaul, Oct 20, 2015

2. N79; can't run " home media " menu

sawatdee krap,

maybe because you havent set any connections for "home media". i think it needs to connect with your computer. you also need to install SimpleCenter's Home Media Server software on your PC

maybe this will help you -

http://europe.nokia.com/A41123203

Message Edited by fring on 23-Nov-2008 03:20 PM

fring---01, Oct 20, 2015
  3. moo09 Win User
    N79; can't run " home media " menu

I'm in Thailand . I just buy N79 , but I have found my phone can run " home media " menu. When I go to " home media " menu it's push back to "connectivity" menu .

When I go to Nokia Care center . They said All N79 was bug as this. Wait to upgrade firmware as now it's already new as 10.046

Please share information with me

moo09, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

When you define your shares, add the Everyone account with whatever access level you want. Read, Read\Execute or Full Control then Share it.

For instance, to make the C: drive available to other network computers:

Add Everyone:

Share drive or folder:
    Turn off password protected sharing:

Ztruker, Oct 20, 2015
  5. mendopaul Win User
    Many thanks for your good advice. I've followed your procedures exactly and some changes are noticeable but I'm still unable to access drives and folders on my LAN machines. One machine when I try to access a folder on another machine asks me for my "Network Credentials" requiring user name and password. I just don't know what my network credentials are or should be. Is it the generic Microsoft user name and pw? The other machines simply tell me that I don't have "permissions" to access folders and/or drives. Your suggested procedures changed that I believe. I'm wondering if the "inbound rules" in the firewall screens could be the culprit. Based on something I read online I changed 2 or 3 of the entries for print and file sharing rules to "yes" for private and domain connections but not for public. Could this be the area of problem? I had this completely solved in Win 7 but the upgrade has defeated my file transfer abilities which to me are important. Thanks again for the helpful advice.

mendopaul, Oct 21, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Turn off password protected sharing on all computers.

Ztruker, Oct 22, 2015
  7. mendopaul Win User
    Thanks, Yes, password protected sharing has been turned off on all machines but problem still persists. What are my "network credentials"? It seems this is needed now to transfer files in addition to whatever else is a problem.

mendopaul, Oct 30, 2015
  8. davexnet Win User

If you're trying to read/write files on computer "A" sitting at computer "B" and your get asked for credentials, it is asking for the
    user/password of a user that exists in computer "A" so it can authenticate you.

davexnet, Oct 31, 2015
  9. I tried your 3 neatly listed changes and executed them. I was nonetheless, unable to transfer a set of video files from the Ext HDD connected to my Windows 10 desktop to the Ext HDD of my Windows 10 Mini Home theatre PC. You should know that these two pc's are Ethernet connected to my ISP router. The second problem I have is, I cannot see on "Network" my Windows 10 mini HTPC on the other computer. The mini pc has network discovery turned on and passwords turned off.

I keep getting that I need administrator permission. I could not even transfer the files from the attached HDD drive to the Public folder or to a USB flash drive on the attached PC.

So what "Permissions" do I show for folder properties? On the PC with the folders I need to transfer; the users are ticked off for Full Control "Allow". They are "Everyone", "System", Dennis (HP/Dennis), Administrator (HP\Adminstrator). On the Advanced Securites Settings page, the "Owner:" is shown as HP\Adminsitrator. Under "Share" tab the permission entries are "Everyone" and "Administrators/HP\Administrators and they both have Full Control. When I had problems with other folders, somehow I was able to solve the problem with the permission choices.
    If I set up both the C drives as share for "Everyone" why can I not share over the network. I do do not have any passwords with any on these two or my two laps tops (Windows 81. and Windows 7). So you can see that I kept the laptops out of this since they are not Windows 10.

It is inconceivable why a 70 yr. retired guy has to suffer through all this security in my condo with just my spouse that only uses her iPad for browsing an email? Is there not a simple transparent use of the Network feature? Or do I have to use some software to achieve this? I seem to spend more time under the hood instead of driving and my grand - kids cannot get to see the videos I promised to show them on the TV .

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
    Dennis

Goodgenie4u, Nov 1, 2015
  10. chideock Win User
    Try on the computer you want the share to be "computer A" adding a user "myguest" (for example) with a password. Take note of computer A's name "Main" for example (case sensitive). On "computer B" enter in the username box that pops up Computer A's name (case sensitive) then a backslash then "myguest" then enter the password you used.

Example "Main\myguest" and then password should be without quotes - Main\myguest

Worked for me.

chideock, Nov 1, 2015
  11. 88rizer Win User
    Goto computer you cant access > Properties > Security > Edit > Add > Advanced
     Find Now > find “Everyone” > Ok > High lite “Everyone” > Click ‘allow Full Control > Ok out

88rizer, Mar 10, 2016
  12. I have the same problem. (Security tab you mention is under boot drive, right?) but only with large files. Those under a few meg move okay. All my computers show Everyone with full control.

jklapetzky, May 5, 2016
  13. Ztruker Win User

Recently found something that resolved this for me.

Open Control Panel, Credential Manager.
    Click on Windows credentials.
    Click on Add a Windows credential.
    Enter computer name in Internet or network address (in my case this was Desktop, I was on my Laptop).
    Enter userid and Password of the target computer.
    Click OK.

That's all it took for. I can now share files and folders in both directions, including between local and Microsoft accounts.

Ztruker, May 8, 2016
  14. Nesic Win User

I had same problem. I connected my pc and laptop. When I try to open network and get in into my laptop to copy some files it says i need user name and password. Tried everything.. I read Ztruker's post and went to do same but it didn't help me. Then i opemed again Credintial Manager, Generic Credentials, there you can see user name and hidden password. Click edit and there you change password.That's it. Ty Ztruker. If you hadn't posted i wouldn't find problem *Biggrin

Nesic, Nov 25, 2016
  15. Pieman Win User
    Essentially this is where I am stuck with a similar problem. I tried to log into the network and mistakenly entered the wrong credentials. It "remembered" these wrong credentials and I can't for the life of me undo the saved credentials. How does one reset these values? It's incredibly frustrating and should be quite simple.
    Just to clarify, when I try to log in, I receive this message: "You do not have permission to access \\[Network name]\. Contact your network administrator to request access." Well, I am the network administrator and I am sick of asking myself and granting myself permission, because it's not working.
    Thanks in advance.

Pieman, Dec 14, 2016
Thema:

1. "Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers - Similar Threads - Permissions problems can't

2. Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access NAS drives/shares on home wifi LAN: Please bear with me - this is a long post Recently I installed a new Synology NAS drive on my WiFi home LAN, configured as RAID1; it is seen by the router, and is deemed healthy. However, I have had great difficulty making it visible on and useful to the PCs on the LAN....
  3. Sharing a folder on home private LAN

Sharing a folder on home private LAN: On my private LAN I want to share documents on system A with system B. System A's File Explorer shows that the Network folder displays both systems listed first is system B - as DESKTOP-FLKD0I5, then system A as DESKTOP-NG6EJEC. That's all. In system A's File Explorer I...
  4. Home LAN unable to share with all computers

Home LAN unable to share with all computers: I have 3 computers running Windows 10 Pro and 1 computer running Windows 10Home. All 3 Pro computers can see each other and share files. All 3Pro computers can see the Windows 10 Home computer but cannot see any of theHome computer's shared folders or files. The Home computer...
  5. (HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer

(HELP!) Problem with LAN file sharing/transfer: I have two PC's running Windows 10. One of them is my main computer used for browsing, gaming w/e, and the other one is basically a storage unit where I keep all big files and folders such as a movie collection of about 1.7tb and so on and so forth. Now, both these PC's are...
  6. LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user

LAN computer set shared folder permission for a specific user: Hello everybody, I need to set permission on a shared folder on a remote computer on my network. In the said action, I need to add a local user of that computer to the user list. I know that computer's local users' names but cannot add them. Looks like I don't have...
  7. Windows 10 Home LAN and Network Shares Problems

Windows 10 Home LAN and Network Shares Problems: I am at my wits end. What in the world has Microsoft done to the networking and shares access in Windows 10. I have spent days of research trying to solve the "access not allowed", "cannot access network path", cannot map to my NAS, cannot see other computer on my network....
  8. Permissions and sharing problems

Permissions and sharing problems: Hi, This is a 2 part question which derived from the same even, but I'll ask the more important question first. My main hard drive which has windows installed suddenly died so I replaced it, reinstalled everything including Windows 10 pro again. I have 4 other HDD's...
  9. Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan

Windows 10: "Permissions" problems: can't share entire hard drive Lan: The Error message I get when trying to access the shared drive is "You do not have permissions to access <drive>. Contact your network administrator to request access." Current windows 10 version is 1803 build 17134.345 x64. None of the computers on the network have...
  10. LAN file sharing

LAN file sharing: I want to file share between my desktop computer, which has an ethernet connection to the router and my laptop which is connected by wifi. The desktop connection is called N***** 6 and the wifi network is called B*********R. The laptop can't "see" the desktop and vice versa....