Windows 10: Permissions problems when trying to access my files

Discus and support Permissions problems when trying to access my files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi I recently installed windows 10 on a new laptop and I connected my previous data hard drive to the laptop . I am trying to open files and folders... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AngeloDiBraccio, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Permissions problems when trying to access my files

Hi

I recently installed windows 10 on a new laptop and I connected my previous data hard drive to the laptop . I am trying to open files and folders on the previous drive and I getting messages about not having permission to access my files.

I just went through the exact same situation when I setup a different laptop. I got messages about not having permission to access my files.

I have always been the only one that uses my computer. I am the only person who create my files.

I went through a very complex series of steps to gain access to my files on the previous laptop and now I have to do it again. It's incredibly time consuming and frustrating. Window 10 is making to very difficult and complex to access my files.

I don't understand why I have to go through such a complex learning curve and series of steps to access my files. Like I said, I have always the only one that uses my computer. I am the only person who create my files.

Is there a way to simplify method of accessing my files? I understand basically how users and security works but it seems that in order access my files, what is required is a very deep learning curves and complex series of step just get to my stuff. It's seems very counter productive to have to spend hours studying how security works and perform the steps involved to access my data.

I am praying that there is an simplified way to access my old data because the situation with permission is simply to complex and too time consuming to figure out and work through. I have work to do. I am paralyzed by the complexity of accessing my old data

Is there a simplified way to access my files?

Thank you for any ideas.

======================

Windows 10 updated.

I set the Access control to lowest level. No help.

I am using Avast free virus protection.

:)

AngeloDiBraccio, Jul 11, 2020

2. cannot access file/or permissions

I have a file i need to run on Windows 7 Home Premium. I get the error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

So I right click and choose Properties to access the permissions but I cannot. In the Security tab I get a message saying, " You do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings.".

Next I boot into the Windows 7 Hidden Administrator Mode - and even with this I get all the same error messages.

Please help me as I really need to run This file.

John Phoenix, Jul 11, 2020
  3. j.col70 Win User
    j.col70, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Permissions problems when trying to access my files

cannot access file/or permissions

Thanks..

I tried the guide and other tips and nothing worked.. In the end it was Comodo Internet Suite that was causing the problem. I uninstalled this crappy software and Poof I had access to all permissions again.

John Phoenix, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Permissions problems when trying to access my files

1. Permissions problems when trying to access my files - Similar Threads - Permissions problems trying

2. Windows cannot access\\**** You not have permission to access when trying to use LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access\\**** You not have permission to access when trying to use LAN: We have 3 laptops all using the same network. and all running Windows 11. From my laptop I can access the shared files on the other two. The other two can access the shared files on each other. When trying to access my laptop from the other 2 computers, we the message...
  3. Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?: Trying to access my NAS storage TrueNAS device. I believe it is administered for SMB Windows access but I cannot access it. Just getting "access denied; check permissions, and the same security excuses I have had whenever I have tried to access something like NAS that is...
  4. Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?: Trying to access my NAS storage TrueNAS device. I believe it is administered for SMB Windows access but I cannot access it. Just getting "access denied; check permissions, and the same security excuses I have had whenever I have tried to access something like NAS that is...
  5. Trying to access NAS thru my LAN- Permissions; Access Denied?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Error when trying to access Android files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error when trying to access Android files: When connecting my android phone, I always get "The specified path does not exist" error when trying to access the files.What's even weirder is, that I'm able to access the files via the left panel. And they do open. But only with the left panel - When I click on a folder in...
  7. Permission access to files denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  8. It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It appears you don't have permission to access this file. Check the permissions and try again.: I completely wrecked my previous laptop which had windows backup turned on. So, i took the internal hard drive out from the laptop and put in a hard drive enclosure. Now when I tried to restore files from the backup to my new laptop, whenever i try to access any restored file...
  9. Problem when trying to access previously encrypted file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem when trying to access previously encrypted file: So I have a problem accessing previously encrypted files. I get 0x80071771 error code for everything I try to do. I can't change ownership and can't decrypt them. The PC hasn't been reinstalled or anything. Just one of the hard disks where the files were was off for a week or...
  10. Permissions issue when trying to change file properties

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions issue when trying to change file properties: Hi all - Problem Description: I have a number of media files from ripping/converting my DVDs to a drive that I use for streaming. Some of the older files I have have data in them in properties (Right click file, left click Properties, Details Tab) that for whatever...