Windows 10: Permissions problems

Discus and support Permissions problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have been a long time linux user and now I am really confused by permissions in Windows 10. I created a python script in linux which works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Barrowman, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Barrowman Win User

Permissions problems

Hi all,
    I have been a long time linux user and now I am really confused by permissions in Windows 10.
    I created a python script in linux which works fine and am now trying to get it to work in Windows.
    In C:\ProgramData there is a subdirectory into which I can paste files I have copied from a flash drive using File Explorer.
    I am the only user on this machine and am administrator.
    If I run the python script it seems to work without errors but the file never gets pasted.
    Even if i run the script from Command Prompt (Admin) it fails with no error messages.
    How does this all work and can I get it to work?

Code: #!c:/Python27/pythonfrom Tkinter import * import tkFileDialog import tkMessageBox import os import time from ctypes import windll, byref, wintypes from ctypes.wintypes import SMALL_RECT root = Tk() STDOUT = -12 todir = "c:/ProgramData/SoundBox/Videos" #Pick a video file and copy it. def select_video(): myname=tkFileDialog.askopenfilename(initialdir="C:/") if myname =="": return() else: (filepath, filename) = os.path.split(myname) myfin = filename print myfin doit="copy " + myname + " " + todir print doit quit() hdl = windll.kernel32.GetStdHandle(STDOUT) rect = wintypes.SMALL_RECT(0, 50, 50, 30) # (left, top, right, bottom) windll.kernel32.SetConsoleWindowInfo(hdl, True, byref(rect)) select_video() root.mainloop()[/quote] I intend to end up with this as a gui program but am stuck at present
    tia.

:)

Barrowman, Feb 27, 2016

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Feb 27, 2016
  3. permission problem

Much better. As I mentioned before, you can replace the file only if it is not in use. You must now reboot the machine into Safe Mode with Shift+Restart, then repeat the procedure.

Frederik Long, Feb 27, 2016
  4. Barrowman Win User

Permissions problems

Just an update.
    Here's what does work.
    Code: #!c:/python27/pythonw from Tkinter import * import tkFileDialog import tkMessageBox import os root = Tk() D = StringVar() D.set("") lab1 = Label(root, textvariable=D) lab1.pack() to_file="c:/programData/SoundBox/Videos/" def select_video(): global to_file inname=tkFileDialog.askopenfilename(initialdir="c:/") if inname =="": D.set("No File Chosen") return() else: D.set("Copying File, Please wait") (filepath, filename) = os.path.split(inname) inmessage = "inname is " + inname in_file = open(inname, 'rb') print inmessage indata = in_file.read() to_file +=filename print to_file out_file = open(to_file, 'wb') out_file.write(indata) quit() select_video() print "Alright, all done." root.mainloop()[/quote] Don't ask me why there should be a difference

Barrowman, Feb 28, 2016
Thema:

Permissions problems

1. Permissions problems - Similar Threads - Permissions problems

2. how do i fix my adminstrator permission problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i fix my adminstrator permission problem?: this morning i installed two updates for Windows 11 home. After installing the updates i tried to update my graphic driver. when pressing to update the graphics driver, it took 5 minutes to load then said "windows cannot access the specified path or file. you may not have the...
  3. how do i fix my adminstrator permission problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do i fix my adminstrator permission problem?: this morning i installed two updates for Windows 11 home. After installing the updates i tried to update my graphic driver. when pressing to update the graphics driver, it took 5 minutes to load then said "windows cannot access the specified path or file. you may not have the...
  4. Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?: I believe the 4 problems listed below are tied to the same Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Problem #1, Wired LAN connection: I am having trouble setting up a wired ethernet connection between two PCs: a new Dell...
  5. How can I resolve an Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I resolve an Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?: I believe the 4 problems listed below are tied to the same Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Problem #1, Wired LAN connection: I am having trouble setting up a wired ethernet connection between two PCs: a new Dell...
  6. How can I resolve an Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?

How can I resolve an Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?: I believe the 4 problems listed below are tied to the same Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Problem #1, Wired LAN connection: I am having trouble setting up a wired ethernet connection between two PCs: a new Dell...
  7. How can I resolve an Administrator permissions problem in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows does not have permition to open windows apps/ "windowsapps" permission problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows does not have permition to open windows apps/ "windowsapps" permission problem.: I have been experiencing a lot of trouble using the windows apps after I changed permissions to the windowsapp folder. Apologies for the long writeup but I have already tried a lot of troubleshooting myself and would like to document that for you to see what I tried, here we...
  9. Windows does not have permition to open windows apps/ "windowsapps" permission problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not have permition to open windows apps/ "windowsapps" permission problem.: I have been experiencing a lot of trouble using the windows apps after I changed permissions to the windowsapp folder. Apologies for the long writeup but I have already tried a lot of troubleshooting myself and would like to document that for you to see what I tried, here we...
  10. Windows does not have permition to open windows apps/ "windowsapps" permission problem.