Windows 10: Permissions required for some settings all of a sudden

Discus and support Permissions required for some settings all of a sudden in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden I am blocked out of using some settings in my Windows 10 Pro Build 1909 system. I get an error: "Windows cannot access the specified... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SSShadii, May 18, 2020.

1. SSShadii Win User

Permissions required for some settings all of a sudden

All of a sudden I am blocked out of using some settings in my Windows 10 Pro Build 1909 system. I get an error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

For instance, I can't enter the following settings pages:

"Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices > Send or Receive Files via Bluetooth"
    "Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices > More Bluetooth Options"
    "Personalization > Lock Screen > Screen Saver Settings"

There are more, I just listed these as examples. When this originally started happening to me, I reformatted the computer, thinking I screwed something up big time, but it has started happening again.

Any ideas what causes this and how to fix?

:)

SSShadii, May 18, 2020

2. System Permission required

Hi Peter,

The message that you've encountered when deleting the USERS folder can be due to a permission set on it. To change the permission of the affected folder, follow these steps:

• Right click the the parent folder.
    • Select Properties.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • Click Edit to change the permission.
    • Select the new owner, and then put a check mark in the Full
      control box.
    • Click Apply, then OK.
    • Once you're done, the folder can now be deleted.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

Darwin Dim, May 18, 2020
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, May 18, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

App Permissions

Hi Tony,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Some apps require certain permissions to work properly. However, you can change the permissions given to the apps by following the below steps:

1. Click on Start.
    2. Click on Settings and then click on Privacy.
    3. Under the App Permissions you can change the permissions which are assigned for the apps.

However, you can go through the
    Microsoft Privacy Statement

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Permissions required for some settings all of a sudden - Similar Threads - Permissions required settings

2. "App Permissions" are disabled in Settings: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "App Permissions" are disabled in Settings: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator": I'm running Windows 10 Home v22H2. I go into Settings > Privacy > Location and it says "Location for this device is off". The "Change" button is grayed out. There's a red warning above it that says: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator". I don't have an...
  3. "App Permissions" are disabled in Settings: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "App Permissions" are disabled in Settings: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator": I'm running Windows 10 Home v22H2. I go into Settings > Privacy > Location and it says "Location for this device is off". The "Change" button is grayed out. There's a red warning above it that says: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator". I don't have an...
  4. "App Permissions" are disabled in Settings: "*Some settings are managed by an administrator"

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Sudden PIN requirement

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden PIN requirement: We have a 4-year old laptop. We have suddenly encountered a demand that we enter a PIN to access our computer upon start-up. We're relatively ignorant regarding tech so if someone could explain how to rectify this without a lot of technical jargon, we'd appreciate it....
  6. Sudden PIN requirement

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden PIN requirement: We have a 4-year old laptop. We have suddenly encountered a demand that we enter a PIN to access our computer upon start-up. We're relatively ignorant regarding tech so if someone could explain how to rectify this without a lot of technical jargon, we'd appreciate it....
  7. Sudden PIN requirement

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Some applications take a while to load all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some applications take a while to load all of a sudden: About a week or 2 ago, some applications have started to load slowly. They are not running slowly, after loading then they're perfectly fine. It's just at the start it seems they are just stuck loading. For example, I open the application, then it says loading, now normally...
  9. Permissions problem running some troubleshooters from Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Permissions problem running some troubleshooters from Settings: Hi, if I try to run some troubleshooters from Settings, I receive a permissions error. If I run the same troubleshooter from the Control Panel, it's fine. Example: [img] [img] msdt.exe is the process in question here, but I've seen the same happen with others. This...
  10. Some programs reacting strangely all of a sudden.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some programs reacting strangely all of a sudden.: I made a Microsoft account just for this, because this is really bugging me. =P Just starting today, my programs have been reacting weirdly. Google Chrome takes forever to bring up pages, Steam takes forever to log in, and Overwatch is taking a long time to bring up updates....