Windows 10: Permissions seem to be screwed up

Discus and support Permissions seem to be screwed up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My sole-use Windows 10 system seems to be screwed up. I am getting various manifestations of being unable to access files that I own. I can access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BBWally, Dec 14, 2020.

1. BBWally Win User

Permissions seem to be screwed up

My sole-use Windows 10 system seems to be screwed up. I am getting various manifestations of being unable to access files that I own. I can access anything in safe mode, but not when I log in with my normal user name which has administrator rights. The files affected all show me as having full permissions, but I am blocked when for example attempting to delete a file - including after clicking on the "continue" option when told that administrator privileges are required to delete the file. There are various other manifestations of the problem, but the common thread seems to be that permissions have become screwed up. Does anyone have any advice as to how this can be remedied?

:)

BBWally, Dec 14, 2020

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 14, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Permission issue

Presumably because TrustedInstaller is the owner (hence you need its permission), suggesting that img3.jpg was installed by Windows at some time.

Presumably that also means it can be uninstalled. How did you get it in the first place? Where is it located?

If you really want to delete it yourself, then taking ownership would seem a logical first step.

4. Permissions seem to be screwed up

Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Permissions seem to be screwed up

1. Permissions seem to be screwed up - Similar Threads - Permissions seem screwed

2. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Audio seems screwed up?: Hello! So recently I got a new pc and I'm using an Astro A10 headset with an audio splitter. My motherboard is an MSI tomahawk b550 and the headset ports are not colored but I have an issue where if I use the motherboard ports instead of the ports on the top of my pc I can...
  3. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Audio seems screwed up?: Hello! So recently I got a new pc and I'm using an Astro A10 headset with an audio splitter. My motherboard is an MSI tomahawk b550 and the headset ports are not colored but I have an issue where if I use the motherboard ports instead of the ports on the top of my pc I can...
  4. My Audio seems screwed up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Screwed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  6. Screwed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screwed up: I've had this computer for 2-3 years and Within the 1st year my computer has gotten corrupt. Whenever I try to look up on how to fix corrupt files or just a corrupt pc It dosen't work as it says I'm not a administrator. So please help me I have my entire computer corrupted...
  7. Screwed up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. PC seems screwed to the max...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC seems screwed to the max...: My PC is literally only running for up to 2 or 3 minutes before it completely crashes, and gives me one of two stop codes: Critical Process Died, or Kernal data inpage error. Then it proceeds to reset, and reboot automatically, and if left powered on will continue this...
  9. Screwed Up!

in Windows 10 Support
    Screwed Up!: Not sure if this is right section but a few hours ago the whole of Win 10 went config up! I had my images (in the number of thousands) suddenly change real life icons into some damn flower. I seem to recall I had this problem ages ago and you all fixed it but I could not...
  10. WindowsApps permissions screw up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WindowsApps permissions screw up: Hey, so recently I was trying to install a shader mod to my Halo MCC, and this required me to access its binary exe in WindowsApps. I am not too skilled with stuff this deep in computers WindowsApps does not let me access it, so I tried to give myself permission. I went into...