Windows 10: Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied

Discus and support Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have a cloned hard drive of my home PC in a caddy which I'm trying to access (USB) from my work PC. But it's telling me I don't have permission... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by NikolaiDante, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied

Hi, I have a cloned hard drive of my home PC in a caddy which I'm trying to access (USB) from my work PC. But it's telling me I don't have permission to access files or folders.

Edit- sorted individual folders but not contained files so it would be useful to know how to apply changes to the file tree. I had to find different user options, 'Administrator', 'Everyone' etc, from right click-properties-security-advanced-change-advanced-'find now' option rather than trying to type them in.

Anyone know how to apply this change to the file tree under a drive letter, or even under 'documents' would be useful. Also I assume I would have to change permissions again if I ever needed to put this clone back into my home PC? (I created it as a quick change backup, but perhaps also trying to use it like a large memory stick to take files to work isn't going to be worth the bother.) Thanks.

:)

NikolaiDante, Oct 25, 2016

2. can't access my external hdd

Hello

Quick Fix 1. Solve 'Access Denied' error with error checking tool

Error checking tool is a built-in tool in Windows system for checking and fixing device errors. If you have access problems on your hard drive, USB, SD card or file folders, you can follow below guidelines to fix 'Access Denied' error on your device now:

1. Connect inaccessible device such as hard drive, external hard drive, USB or SD card with PC;

2. Open This PC/My Computer > Right-click on inaccessible device or file folder and select Properties;

3. Tab on Tools > Click Check/Check Now.

If this fixes your problem, you can directly open your drive and continue using data on it.

If this doesn’t work, try Quick Fix 2 to continue fixing 'Access Denied' error on your devices.

Quick Fix 2. Gain permissions to inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folder

If you don’t have permissions to access the protected hard drive or USB, files etc, you would not be able to open the drive and even get 'access denied' error message.

So your another choice is to gain permissions to inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folders:

1. Right-click inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folder and select Properties;

2. Go to Security, click Advanced and navigate to the Owner tab;

3. Click on Edit, click your user name under Group or user name

4. Check all boxes under Allow column and click OK, then click Apply to gain permissions to access your inaccessible device.

Get permission to access inaccessible device.

If that does not work, there are other alternatives like using a linux OS to access the drive and change permissions or us a third party tool

MikeSnyder61704, Oct 25, 2016
  3. External Hard drive

Yesterday i change permission to access external hard drive "deny" for everyone . then some how i solve it and some of my files are error to apply security permission as administrator shows you don't currently have permissions to access this folder. sir
    plz help me out with this.

SundarmohanBesra, Oct 25, 2016
  4. Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied

I found the earlier post by Tully -'Can't delete folder', with a similar permissions problem, and followed the steps in the reply by CountMike which included 'select a principal'. This appeared to work until it repeatedly came up with the error message, 'failed to enumerate objects in container' regarding different files.

Edit: going back to my previous route as in my first post I found the 'replace owner on subcontainer and objects' box which only appears after you've done one of the 'OK' stages; useful. This gave me access to folders but not indivisual files, I had to go through the process again for a file.

NikolaiDante, Oct 25, 2016
  5. NikolaiDante, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied

1. Permissions to access cloned hard drive files and folders denied - Similar Threads - Permissions access cloned

2. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  3. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  4. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  5. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  6. External hard drive access denied

External hard drive access denied: I cannot access my external hard drive. I was able to previously, after creating a new volume using Disk Management. I moved about 500GB of personal data and since I was able to access it, I deleted the original copy, so what's in the drive is the only copy of the data and I...
  7. Access denied to new drive after clone

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied to new drive after clone: I am new to Windows 10 I am logged in as Administrator. I recently got a new Dell 8940 desktop with a 256GB NVMe drive (C:) and a 1T HDD.(D:) I have successfully added all my personal data to the D: drive and plan on only adding required program files to C: I also added a...
  8. Permission access to files denied

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permission access to files denied: Hi, i wish to ask after the windows 10 update on 10/12/20. I'm currently unable to delete the files in my pc while keep encountering the problem Folder Access Denied stating I'm not the user of the PC while I'm the only user I'm only able to have access to my desktop,...
  9. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: I am not able to access my external HDD at all. It's a seagate 2TB 9SF2A8-500, if that helps? I keep getting this message saying "Location is not available" "F:\ is not accessible. Access Denied". I feel like I've tried everything! [ATTACH] This started happening with...
  10. Hard Drive Access is denied issue.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Access is denied issue.: first its giving error ( F:\ is not accessible the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable ) i try this cmd (chkdsk /f f:) https://windowsreport.com/access-is-denied-windows-10/ and now i'm getting new error (Access is denied) i changed its Owners permissions and my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. get access to users folder cloned drive

2. windows 10 do not have permission to access CLONED DRIVE

3. how change permissions on clone of hard drive

4. cloned drive and lost permissions