Windows 10: Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler

Discus and support Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I have setup Windows Backup to utilise a spare internal hard disk, it works well. I have some large files which change quite regularly which are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iwaddo, Oct 19, 2020.

1. iwaddo Win User

Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler

Hi

I have setup Windows Backup to utilise a spare internal hard disk, it works well.

I have some large files which change quite regularly which are filling the disk quickly.

I have setup a Scheduled task that uses Forfiles to delete old copies of these files, everything over 30 days old in the target folder.

I noticed that it was not working so I ran the task manually and noticed that the files are located but there are access denied errors when it tries to delete them. I can however locate the files and delete them from explorer.

Is there a way to give the scheduled task permission to delete these files?

Thank you for your help.

:)

iwaddo, Oct 19, 2020

2. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

You keep talking about a "folder". Task scheduler items are files, not
    folders, even though they have no name extension (i.e. no full stop or anything else to the right of the name).

I suspect the task is protected through its entry in the registry. You need to open the registry editor (regedit.exe), then do this:

• Navigate to this key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\
    • Find "UpdateOrchestrator", using Ctrl+F. It will be against a key such as

{AB62362D-3EF5-4BD4-92E1-D96143FD8738}
    • Change the owner of the key to "Administrators"
    • Grant full access to "Administrators".

You then need to take the same four steps with this key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\

Frederik Long, Oct 19, 2020
  3. jgunning Win User
    Task Scheduler Batch file

Hi all,

Looking for some help.Im creating a batch file to run for different users to add a scheduled task. HOWEVER - the whole thing works great and has done for some time.But after i run the batch file on each machine (different users) i have to go into the security options and change the user the task runs in to the unique user of that machine. Is there a way to use the batch file to pull the account name of the machine (or computer name) and use that as the user the task runs in?

Thanks =)

jgunning, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler

Task scheduler user account list includes user accounts that have already been deleted from the computer.

Thanks for providing the results of the troubleshooting steps we provided. Since the credentials are still showing up in task scheduler, we suggest that you follow the steps below to check the entries in the credential manager and delete the entries manually:

• Type the words Credential Manager in Cortana or the search box.
    • From the list of results select Credential Manager
    • From this screen, you can manage Web Credentials and
      Windows Credentials

Once you have the screen open verify if any of the credentials you saw in task scheduler is present and manually delete them.

Regards.

Jordan Dom, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler

1. Permissions to delete files with Task Scheduler - Similar Threads - Permissions delete files

2. Deleted task scheduler task

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted task scheduler task: Hi,I Accidentally deleted StartComponentCleanup in Task Scheduler. Is it possible to recover or re-create the deleted task? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-task-scheduler-task/0866d10b-9ef7-4bb7-8f0a-56b848500fa9
  3. Deleted task scheduler task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted task scheduler task: Hi,I Accidentally deleted StartComponentCleanup in Task Scheduler. Is it possible to recover or re-create the deleted task? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-task-scheduler-task/0866d10b-9ef7-4bb7-8f0a-56b848500fa9
  4. Deleted task scheduler task

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Running a script on file deletion with task scheduler.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running a script on file deletion with task scheduler.: I'm trying to figure out how to run a (python) script whenever any file is deleted with task scheduler. I tried googling but with no success, all I found out was that the event ID for file deletion is 4660 I think, and it's probably under security logs. The problem is that...
  6. Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Admin Account "Incomplete" Permissions with Task Scheduler: I have a bizarre problem, and here are some basic facts: Computer: HP laptop, originally purchased with 64-bit Windows 10 Home Current OS: 64-bit Windows 10 Pro - upgraded after the initial purchase upgrade, not a fresh install I am the administrator on the computer, and...
  7. Task Scheduler Restore Point deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Scheduler Restore Point deleted: BACKGROUND: I am attempting to create a Restore Point on 4 different computers in my office. I am successfully able to manually create a restore point using powershell.exe. Action: -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "Checkpoint-Computer -Description \"BDRE-CHRIS Restore...
  8. Task Scheduler no permissions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler no permissions: As of June this year, I had full control over everything in my task scheduler. I could delete/modify anything, and I had a few tasks that I had created. Now, for whatever reason, I cannot edit, delete, disable, or enable any tasks. I can only make new ones. Those new ones I...
  9. file save & task scheduler

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file save & task scheduler: I save my backup files on a separate PC which I am using for storage of pictures . how can I setup the task scheduler on my main PC to start my 2nd PC to backup my files, and after 30minutes using the task scheduler on PC 2 to ask if I wanted to turn of the PC? can any one...
  10. No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler: Hello, I'm trying to disable a task in Task Scheduler, FCU 1709 as I always did with all previous versions of W 10 without problems. Now, when I go to Task Scheduler/Microsoft/Windows/Update Orchestrator/Scheduled Scan and trying to disable that task, I'm getting the...