Windows 10: Permissions to move/delete files

Discus and support Permissions to move/delete files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am logged in as administrator on my computer, but when I need to move or delete folders/files it says I need administrator permission and does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KayeChristian, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Permissions to move/delete files

I am logged in as administrator on my computer, but when I need to move or delete folders/files it says I need administrator permission and does nothing. Also two other messages when I try to do something with a file/folder: 1 the item is no longer located in C: 2 the item is open and needs to be closed. I am getting these three messages at different times when I try to do anything with files or folders. Help please.

:)

KayeChristian, Apr 17, 2021
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Apr 17, 2021
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

Permissions to move/delete files wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Apr 17, 2021
  4. 95Viper Win User

Permissions to move/delete files

95Viper, Apr 17, 2021
Thema:

Permissions to move/delete files

1. Permissions to move/delete files - Similar Threads - Permissions move delete

2. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  3. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files with no permission to delete: So, I installed the Hitman Trilogy from XBox Game Pass and the install broke, showing an error 0x00000000. I've tracked it down to find that it's still partially installed in my D: drive in WindowsApps with one of the subsections of the game causing the error code 0x80073d12...
  4. Files with no permission to delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.

Need permission to move and delete, even though I own the files.: Whenever I try to delete or move items in the Documents, Pictures, and Videos folders in the "This PC" tab, it tells me that I need to provide administrator permission to delete/move it. When I press "Continue", it tells me that I need permission from myself. I'm...
  6. Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders

Don't have permission to Move/Rename/Delete certain files or folders: Within specific areas on my PC mainly on other internal hard drives, every time I wish to Move / Rename / Delete any file or folder, I am greeted with a message saying "You need to provide administrator permission to perform this action". Pressing continue reveals an access...
  7. Delete File - Permission Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete File - Permission Issue: Hi, I've read various forums, but I can't seem to delete file due to ownership permissions. I've right-clicked on the .exe, selected Properties, went to the Security tab, and clicked Advanced. However, the Permissions tab and Audit and Effective Access states that I don't...
  8. Moving or deleting files

Moving or deleting files: Hello While trying to move or remove certain files, I'm getting this warning: "If you move this file, Windows or another program may no longer work correctly." I DO KNOW you have responded to a very similar q. already, but, in this case, those files were copied from an...
  9. Permission to delete file and folder

Permission to delete file and folder: [IMG]i want to delete an app from my laptop but it requires permission from system and administrator but I can't do it. Please tell me how to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-delete-file-and-folder/3d51b993-bd01-4440-8d32-ac348254491d"
  10. File permissions to delete file

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions to delete file: I keep having the issue of not being able to delete files without permissions. I looked up many tutorials and none of them worked for me. [img] 87463