Windows 10: Perpetual refreshing - Windows Explorer vs. PDF files?

Discus and support Perpetual refreshing - Windows Explorer vs. PDF files? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm no expert, but I usually manage to resolve computer problems by searching the web. This time I was completely unsuccessful! Whenever a folder that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulkaye, Mar 19, 2020.

1. paulkaye Win User

Perpetual refreshing - Windows Explorer vs. PDF files?

I'm no expert, but I usually manage to resolve computer problems by searching the web. This time I was completely unsuccessful!
    Whenever a folder that contains a PDF file is open in Windows Explorer, icons in that folder, and programs listed in the taskbar, repeatedly refresh every 1-2 seconds, making the interface unusable. This problem does not occur (1) if Windows Explorer is closed, or (2) if Windows explorer is displaying only folders that do not contain PDF files.
    I had this problem about a month ago, and was able to resolve it by performing a System Restore. But the problem has returned, and I think I need to fix it "properly" this time.
    Here is a video of the screen when Windows Explorer has opened a folder that DOES contain a PDF file.
    Here is a video of the screen when Windows Explorer has opened an otherwise-identical folder that does NOT contain a PDF file.

Windows 10 1803 (build 17134.1304)
    My go-to PDF software is PDF XChange Editor. I have tried uninstalling it, but this did not resolve the issue.
    I also have Foxit PhantomPDF installed.

I'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this!

:)

paulkaye, Mar 19, 2020

2. Search result in Win10 1909 file explorer doesn't refresh anymore?

If I use the "new" search function (in the windows 10 b1909 file explorer) to list all pdf in my actual directory and all subdirectories I type *.pdf in the higher right corner search field and get the correct result.

But if I mark them all (CTRL+a) and press the DEL key, it doesn't refresh the result anymore (the list of pdf remain visible. If I try to delete this files again, I get an error message, that this files doesn't exist anymore, still remaining in the search result).
    In most cases, I even have to restart the explorer.exe to get back my working file explorer.

Is this a known issue since build 1909?

Do you know how to get the list refreshing automatically without restart of the process "explorer.exe"?

WTenNewbie, Mar 19, 2020
  3. banditrvp Win User
    File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

Perpetual refreshing - Windows Explorer vs. PDF files? [​IMG]

Ron

banditrvp, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Thema:

1. Perpetual refreshing - Windows Explorer vs. PDF files? - Similar Threads - Perpetual refreshing Explorer

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Refresh

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Refresh: Elsewhere on this site, someone asked how to get File Explorer to refresh. F5 was the answer, and the asker appeared to be satisfied.BUT, when I tried F5, nothing happened. Advice?Windows 10 Home20H2Installed 1/24/2021 by fix-it shopOS Build 19042.1526?? Pack? 120.2212.4170.0...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Refresh

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer Refresh: Elsewhere on this site, someone asked how to get File Explorer to refresh. F5 was the answer, and the asker appeared to be satisfied.BUT, when I tried F5, nothing happened. Advice?Windows 10 Home20H2Installed 1/24/2021 by fix-it shopOS Build 19042.1526?? Pack? 120.2212.4170.0...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Refresh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  6. File Explorer Refresh Problem

File Explorer Refresh Problem: On the Public Version I have my background changing every minute and it is causing File Explorer to refresh when it changes to the next image. So if I'm looking down a long list trying to find a specific file I lose my place every time the Background image changes as File...
  7. icon refreshing in file explorer

icon refreshing in file explorer: When my Windows 10 file explorer opens a folder containing a .JPG file, it triggers a non-stop frenzy of repeatedly refreshing every icon in sight including the desktop and probably others as well. I have tried many suggestions for fixing things relating to Explorer but none...
  8. Refresh problem in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Refresh problem in File Explorer: In an earlier thread, I reported that following an update file explorer no longer automatically refreshes after a deletion or change. I tried all the suggestions, but the problem persists. So I swapped a recently made clone of the hard drive and booted that. The same problem...
  9. File Explorer stopped refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer stopped refreshing: Until yesterday, when I deleted a file shown in File Explorer, it immediately vanished. But now, deleted files won’t go away until I right-click on a blank space and click Refresh. Same with renamed files. I did a SFC /scannow, which found some problems and corrected them,...
  10. View refresh in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    View refresh in file explorer: In W7 I could refresh the file list after deleting files using the view menu and the refresh option. W10 does not remove deleted files from view at once nor does it have a way of doing it manually that I can find. I can't believe it no longer exists. Thanks J 39365