Windows 10: Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2

Discus and support Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2 in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I am running Ubuntu using WSL2. I am forever getting a popup message in Ubuntu from "Update notifier" telling me "Reboot is needed", but after powering... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ricecrispies, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2

I am running Ubuntu using WSL2. I am forever getting a popup message in Ubuntu from "Update notifier" telling me "Reboot is needed", but after powering down Ubuntu and restarting using the Ubuntu GUI, I keep getting this message. How can I stop it?

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 on Windows 2004.

:)

ricecrispies, Sep 27, 2020

2. WSL2 for windows

I have failed into installing WSL for Windows. I have read here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win.../install-win10 how to do it, and at step 4:

1. Download the latest package:
      [COLOR=var(--text)][COLOR=var(--info-dark)] Note[/COLOR]
      If you're using an ARM64 machine, please download the ARM64 package instead. If you're not sure what kind of machine you have, open Command Prompt or PowerShell and enter: systeminfo | find "System Type".
      [/COLOR]
    2. Run the update package downloaded in the previous step. (Double-click to run - you will be prompted for elevated permissions, select ‘yes’ to approve this installation.)

I encountered:

Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2 [​IMG]

and

What I did wrong ? I have the following W10 version:

Another question: am I in the the right forum ?

mesajflaviu, Sep 27, 2020
  3. WSL2 and new Windows Terminal not working with VPN

For most of my apps I don't want to use a VPN. So I have a VPN client that supports split tunneling so I can choose whether I want it to use VPN or not on app by app basis.

The VPN client works fine with different apps but when I try to set it up with Ubuntu WSL/2 and new Window Terminal app (by selecting both Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WSL2 app and the Windows Terminal App)... it doesn't work. When I check IP from Ubuntu WSL2 bash
    terminal (using "curl ifconfig.me") it shows my real IP rather than the VPN ip (the VPN split tunnel works fine when I try to use it with Powershell via Windows Terminal).

What exact apps do I need to chose for the WSL2 Ubuntu terminal to work with the split tunnel VPN?

VibronicPants49, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2

Ubuntu terminal not displaying git messages correctly

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the output for Ubuntu terminal is not showing properly for GIT commands.

I suggest you to try re-enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux and then uninstalling and re-installing Ubuntu from Microsoft Store. Follow the steps to disable Windows Subsystem for Linux and uninstall Ubuntu.

Disable Windows Subsystem for Linux:

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      appwiz.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. Now on the left hand pane click on
      Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now on the Windows feature window scroll down and uncheck the box next to
      Windows Subsystem for Linux.
    5. Click on OK and Restart the PC.

Uninstall the Ubuntu app:

1. Go to Settings >
      Apps > Apps & features.
    2. Now search for Ubuntu app.
    3. Click on the app and click on
      Uninstall
    4. Follow the onscreen instructions.

To enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux you can refer the article

Windows Subsystem for Linux Installation Guide for Windows 10

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query on

TechNet forums
    as they have dedicated support for issues related to Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2

1. Persistant "update notifier" message in Ubuntu under WSL2 - Similar Threads - Persistant update notifier

2. WSL2 & Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 & Ubuntu: When trying to run ubuntu on windows subsystem it will not allow me to toggle on the subsystem feature. My virtualization is on. Do I need to change the boot mode from UEFI? Acer nitro windows 11. I've tried with a virtual box download to and it will not load ubuntu. Help!...
  3. WSL2 & Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL2 & Ubuntu: When trying to run ubuntu on windows subsystem it will not allow me to toggle on the subsystem feature. My virtualization is on. Do I need to change the boot mode from UEFI? Acer nitro windows 11. I've tried with a virtual box download to and it will not load ubuntu. Help!...
  4. broken titlebar's text on wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    broken titlebar's text on wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS: I am using wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS on window 11.The text of the titlebar of all the terminals is broken. They are displayed in greek letters. For example, see the attached image, titlebar of the gnuplot window from the command: gnuplot>plot x It seems that some font setting is...
  5. broken titlebar's text on wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS

broken titlebar's text on wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS: I am using wsl2 ubuntu-22.04LTS on window 11.The text of the titlebar of all the terminals is broken. They are displayed in greek letters. For example, see the attached image, titlebar of the gnuplot window from the command: gnuplot>plot x It seems that some font setting is...
  6. WSL2 Ubuntu problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 Ubuntu problems: Hello everbody,i have the problem that my ubuntu with wsl2 is not running anymore after temporarily disabling Hyper-V in the Windows-Features.The information in the command window when i try to start is: Please activate the Windows-Feature "VM-Platform" and ensure that...
  7. WSL2 Ubuntu problems

WSL2 Ubuntu problems: Hello everbody,i have the problem that my ubuntu with wsl2 is not running anymore after temporarily disabling Hyper-V in the Windows-Features.The information in the command window when i try to start is: Please activate the Windows-Feature "VM-Platform" and ensure that...
  8. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  9. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  10. Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04: How can I install docker? I tried $ sudo apt install docker.io Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Suggested packages: aufs-tools debootstrap docker-doc rinse zfs-fuse | zfsutils The following NEW packages will be...