Windows 10: Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory

Discus and support Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Winver 1903 Hi, I have a relatively new computer system with a Crucial MX500 SSD (1 TB) The problem that I am having is that folders that are named... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrivingMiss7of9, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory

Winver 1903

Hi,
    I have a relatively new computer system with a Crucial MX500 SSD (1 TB)

The problem that I am having is that folders that are named Found.xxx (where xxx is numerically sequenced) and are constantly created in the root drive of C

The folders are always empty. initially, the folders are protected and I can't access them. I have to go into Security and add my account and provide permissions for me to open the folder and even then, there are either no contents or I still cannot see the contents. I would say on average, one or two are created every day. Once a week I delete them to keep the list from growing too large.

If there are any .CHK files in any of the folders, I have not yet been able to see them. So it appears the folders are created, but no CHK files are ever created in the folders (again, unless they are hidden from my view somehow)

SMART does not detect any issues with the drive and it is designated as HEALTHY.

I am not encountering any known file system problems. Everything seems to be fine except that these files are created constantly.

I have Windows configured to SHOW Hidden Files.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

:)

DrivingMiss7of9, Mar 14, 2020
  2. fussybob Win User

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Mar 14, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory

No, it's working as designed - to protect you (or at least, the average Joe) from themselves. If you really have a genuine reason for needing to place a file in the root of C:\ then you can - just save it somewhere else first, then copy (or move) it to C:\ with File Explorer. You'll get a different popup warning - one that does let you continue....

Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory [​IMG]

4. Drone Win User

Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Mar 14, 2020
Thema:

Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory

1. Persistent generation of Found.xxx files in root directory - Similar Threads - Persistent generation Found

2. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...: Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:-...
  3. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  4. Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create folder or files in root directory of USB drive.: This seems to be a permissions problem, but I can't find what's causing this. I have tried many things.I have a 4TB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk. It checks fine and works well with one exception. I can't create folders or files in the root directory. Other directories are...
  5. Azure VM with 50GB root directory

Azure VM with 50GB root directory: Hi,I want to spin up a Ubuntu/Centos/RHEL VM having 50GB for root directory.I tried with Standard_D8s_V3 and Standard_D4ads_v5, but no luck.Can anyone suggestRegards,Jessie...
  6. Azure VM with 50GB root directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Azure VM with 50GB root directory: Hi,I want to spin up a Ubuntu/Centos/RHEL VM having 50GB for root directory.I tried with Standard_D8s_V3 and Standard_D4ads_v5, but no luck.Can anyone suggestRegards,Jessie...
  7. Sharing root directory on Windows 10

Sharing root directory on Windows 10: I am having issue with sharing a root directory so we can run programs on one system. I have turn on File Sharing Network discovery Turn off password protected added a share for the root directory I can see the share but I cannot access it. the error is You Do not have...
  8. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218
  9. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...
  10. Can't save file in C:\ root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory: I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone....