Windows 10: Persistent issues with reading optical media drive

Discus and support Persistent issues with reading optical media drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having persistent issues with my optical media (bluray/cd/dvd) drive that I believe at present to be software/windows based. The drive used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JackM01, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JackM01 Win User

Persistent issues with reading optical media drive

I've been having persistent issues with my optical media (bluray/cd/dvd) drive that I believe at present to be software/windows based. The drive used to work fine, until recently.

On startup, the drive appears in "This PC" as normal. If there's no disk inserted, it appears as "BD-RE Drive (DPersistent issues with reading optical media drive :)" as expected. If there's a disk inserted on boot, or if one is then inserted after boot, it correctly reads the disk type - i.e., in This PC, it then changes to "BD-RE Drive (DPersistent issues with reading optical media drive :) Audio CD" (while showing below "0 bytes free of 0 bytes; CDFS"). This can be opened to show, for example, each song file on the CD.

The problem comes when attempting to access any media on the device. Whichever software is used (i.e. default windows software, VLC, etc), the software loads the basic details (i.e. song names, length, album art), and then bugs out, either refusing to play at all, or playing the first half second or so of each song before skipping to the nest. At the same time as this happens, any attempt to open the disk now returns "D:\ Application not found," rather than the contents of the disk. Usually, but not always, the disk still shows up exactly the same under This PC - other times, it disappears entirely, both there, and all drivers become hidden in device manager.

Speaking of device manager, other than that above exception case (which occurs, I'd estimate, about 1 in 10 attempts), the driver shows up normally there, active, and up to date. Running update on it shows it is up to date. Very oddly, even while This PC is denying that the drive is connected with "application not found," if I go to the "volumes" tab in driver properties and hit "populate," it still correctly populates the details of the inserted CD.

Ejecting the drive by right clicking and selecting "eject" can also still be done when the device is supposedly not found. Closing it resets this case same as a reboot does, most of the time, except sometimes it makes the drive disappear entirely.

Troubleshooting I have done includes:

>Uninstalling the device, rebooting

>Attempting to manually update drivers

>Running Windows startup repair in an attempt to fix any registry issues

>Running Windows updater

>Downloading drive manufacturer firmware and driver updaters, running them.

>Switching to a brand new SATA cable, and a confirmed functioning SATA port on the motherboard

I'm thinking it's a software issue because 1) I've ruled out most possible hardware issues, 2) the disk itself is clearly being read at least initially and 3) even while the device is supposedly not found, things like "volumes" populating and the eject function working show the drive as a whole is clearly still connected.

There is exactly ONE thing I have found that lets me actually access the media - if, when the machine is ON, I unplug the SATA from the optical drive, and reinsert it, THEN it works fine. Plays music, whole songs, whole albums, etc. On reboot, it all resets, though, back to not working.

Any help anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated. I've about run out of Google results that actually have answers. Thank you!

:)

JackM01, Jan 13, 2019

2. PC does not boot when optical drive is connected, boots normally when optical drive is not connected in Windows 10.

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Method 1: You are facing this issue due to the non-updated device drivers. I suggest you to update the device drivers from device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard, select
      Device Manager.

• Expand DVD/CD ROM drives, right click on the driver and select
      Update option.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install the latest drivers for the optical drive from the device manufacturer’s website which is compatible to Windows 10 operating system and check if the
    issue is resolved.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Optical Drive missing

Hello,

To find Optical Drive, we recommend checking it on Device Manager. Here are the steps below:

• Press Windows key.
    • Type and click Device Manager in Cortana search box.
    • Click View.
    • Select Show hidden devices.
    Let us know how it goes.

Ernie San, Jan 13, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Optical Drive

Hi ERNESTSMITHVM,

Boot into BIOS/UEFI and check that the Optical drive is listed there, if it is not then the Acer Tech has somehow not connected that drive correctly . . .

Otherwise, in Windows , open Device Manager - is hat drive listed at the top of the Hardware list?

DaveM121, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Persistent issues with reading optical media drive - Similar Threads - Persistent issues reading

2. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  3. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical disc drive not reading CDs: Device: LG Bluray M DISCWhen opened in file explorer, everything freezes for about 5min. before opening the CD. Upon opening, it shows no data. Have tested this on other drives and they open fine....
  4. Optical disc drive not reading CDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Optical drive will not read DVDs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optical drive will not read DVDs: Have used VLC media player for a few years with no problem for both CDs and DVDs on Windows 10 OS. Suddenly DVDs are not recognised. The device is working properly, drivers are up to date, have tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling, have edited the registry to remove...
  6. The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    The optical CD/DVD drive cannot read discs: Hi, My optical drive has stopped working after installing and uninstalling DAEMON Tools Lite. Previously, everything worked properly. A DVD RW E : drive is visible in Windows Explorer. After inserting the disc into the drive, you can hear the disc spinning and trying to...
  7. Optical Drive on Toshiba C55-A is not reading anything

Optical Drive on Toshiba C55-A is not reading anything: Hello, My CD/DVD-W is not reading anything. It is displaying on My Computer and when I right click on it and select open it opens so I don't think it is a mechanical problem, but when I insert any type of CD it does not read it, it gives me an message to insert a CD. I...
  8. Optical Drive Issue

Optical Drive Issue: Optical Drive Issue – When I go to my Documents folder and want to send a Word file to a DVD disc, I click on “Send to.” The pop-up menu does not include the option to send the file to the DVD disc. The wording is missing. The DVD disc does work on its own. I use Windows 10....
  9. Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD

Optical Drive won't read media files on DVD: I have scoured the internet for the solutions that have been posted but none of them have yet to be successful. This is the only thing holding me back from upgrading from 7 to 10 on my main computer. It seems that on my multiple computers with Windows 10, no movie DVD can...
  10. A permanent "Fix" for Optical Drive issue?

A permanent "Fix" for Optical Drive issue?: Friends I have looked up various fixes for Windows 10's ill treatment of "obsolete" DVD/CD optical drives and not finding a permanent cure. Many have reported issues, and what seems to work some of the time is simply removing the device in Device Manager, and restarting,...